PDA

View Full Version : Yet another 'which lathe?' thread...

Michael Arruda
08-11-2015, 3:35 AM
As the title says, I have to decide on a lathe.

So far, what I have, as well as pros and cons-
1- Pioneer VS mini lathe with extension- copy of Jet, nice little lathe. Haven't used it in years.

2- Delta HD 12" lathe- My current regular duty lathe. It's on good shape, has a gap bed for 14" face work, I have two banjos and a 24" rest for it, VS by reeves drive as well as a VFD in the 3 phase motor, indexing spindle. A little light duty for outboard turning.

3- American 12" Long bed Speed lathe- This is a neat old lathe with a motor headstock and a giant rotary switch in the leg ti change the speed. 3 phase, all cast iron and very stout. I had wanted to keep this lathe, but the Delta does have alot going for it.

4- DIY- Before I closed down my shop, I had a giant 5 spinde duplicator I was working on restoring. It was Italian, about 2.5 tons and could duplicate in a 14" x 5' working envelope. When I shut down to move back to the garage, I disassembled it, scrapped the frame and kept all the hydraulics amd electrics, including the spindles which are massive affairs- 5" or so in diameter. I was thinking about maybe welding up a big lathe, kind of like a Oneway with one of these giant spindles for the headstock.

I am working towards a move cross country, from California to Tennessee, possibly Kentucky or Virginia. I cannot bring all these with me, so I have to narrow it down ti keep one. I currently do spindle work, from pens to work up to 10" diameter or so. I have done some bowl work and will be doing more.

So, what do ya'all think?

-Michael

John Keeton
08-11-2015, 5:45 AM
Sell all of them and see how much money you can put toward a new variable speed lathe.

david privett
08-11-2015, 7:20 AM
I am kinda thinking the same way ,moving is such a hassle, especially when moving that far and moving large tools just makes it worse. And the new vsr lathes even the griz g0766 that has been going thru some growing pains are so nice to work with.

Dennis Ford
08-11-2015, 9:21 AM
My choice would be to take the mini-lathe, sell the Delta and American. Turn on the mini while building the DIY.

Michael Arruda
08-11-2015, 2:31 PM
Hmm... much to think about here. I didn't think about just selling out and buying when I get there. I already have a whole shop full of tools to move- Unisaw, PM 81 20" BS, 12" jointer, 18" planer, Metal lathe, drill presses, CNC router, laser engraver...- so one less tool could be of use. I am normally averse to the big green bear- I don't like compromises of "good enough for the money." I can't afford new tools that are just good without "for the money" or the best- Northfield, Felder, etc- so my shop is mostly made up of vintage American and European tools I've restored. I don't know how i would feel about spending so much on a Grizz lathe only to have it have any kind of problem- tweaked bed casting, bad motor, off center tailstock... whatever. For $1700 shipped, to me, it should be perfect and it's rare for me to hear of a Grizz owner saying it showed up perfect.

Taking the mini until I make a larger lathe... that's an intriguing idea as well.

Thanks! Lots to think about.

-Michael