PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question - white paint for filling in etched areas?

Steve Garber
08-10-2015, 1:50 PM
We normally etch opaque 2-tone acrylic, simply removing the top color to reveal the bottom color. However, now we're etching some translucent acrylic, and I have seen that a lot of people paint the etched areas white - but I cannot find the paint they are using, or any tutorials on how to do this.

I am assuming it is a fast process - such as painting the entire area, then wiping off excess. Could someone point me to the paint that they use (or have heard of being used) along with any tips for using it?

Thank you very much! Also thank you so much to those who answered my other newbie question thread earlier this summer, the advice has been invaluable and we have taken onboard almost all of it =)

Allan Wright
08-10-2015, 2:46 PM
We normally etch opaque 2-tone acrylic, simply removing the top color to reveal the bottom color. However, now we're etching some translucent acrylic, and I have seen that a lot of people paint the etched areas white - but I cannot find the paint they are using, or any tutorials on how to do this.

I am assuming it is a fast process - such as painting the entire area, then wiping off excess. Could someone point me to the paint that they use (or have heard of being used) along with any tips for using it?

Thank you very much! Also thank you so much to those who answered my other newbie question thread earlier this summer, the advice has been invaluable and we have taken onboard almost all of it =)

I have used Krylon Fusion for plastics as well as the new formula Rustoleum (labeled for plastics on the can). Both worked fine.

Some tips from my experience:

Etch THROUGH the protective paper covering, then paint, then cut the pieces out. Do so relatively quickly, i.e. cut as soon as the paint is fully dry - an hour or two. Don't wait for days or removing the paper will be a PITA. Paint the thinnest coat you can that covers fully.

There are some photos of the samples of my work here using glow-edge green acrylic and white paint:

Here's a photo on some opaque primary colors using white and black paint: 319321

Steve Garber
08-11-2015, 12:04 PM
Oh man, is it really just spray paint? For some reason, I had thought it was brush on paint that was used. Leaving the liner on and spraying sounds much easier than I imagined!

Is this how everyone does it?