PDA

View Full Version : Fasteners for 1x6 T&G pine porch ceiling

Evan Mann
08-10-2015, 11:44 AM
Greetings all. I am going to be installing 1x6 T&G on my porch ceiling, approximately 600 sq ft. Prior to install I will be priming/panting all 4 sides. I'm looking to get a recommendation for fastener from those who have been there.

The product is Westervelt Lumber 1x6 T&G Clear Southern Pine, grade D. Rafters are #2 SYP 2x10 @ 16" O.C. and I am running perpendicular to the rafters. I have pieces in 8', 10', 12', 14' and 16'. The area in question is 32' x 18.5' with the 32' being perpendicular to the rafters and the way the boards will run.

I intend to blind nail at 45 degrees through the tongue, except for the first and last rows, which will also need a row of face nails.

From research online, recommendations seem to mostly be for 15ga or 16ga finish nailer, and some for narrow crown staples. I did not find as much discussion on fasteners length, but when I did see it mentioned, most people indicated 2 1/2". I can't find a narrow crown stapler that can take longer than a 1 1/2" staple, and that seems to short, as it would leave only 1" of fastener into the rafters.

So, what's the best way to fasten this?

Todd Burch
08-10-2015, 12:09 PM
I used a construction stapler for my T&G pine porch ceiling. I think it has a 1/2" crown.

John Lanciani
08-10-2015, 12:33 PM
I used a flooring stapler for mine, 2" narrow crown staples through the tongues into every joist. 16ga nails in the face of the starter and last strip.

Tom M King
08-10-2015, 5:31 PM
I've used an angled 15 ga. Senco finish nailer putting up T&G Pine since the early '70s-actually on the third nailer now for various reasons, but they all still work, and I've never been in any of them. I blind nail right above the tongue, but still in the shouldler before the V. Take the rubber bumper off the safety foot so you can see exactly where the nail is going to go. Make a push block out of a scrap with the groove on it with a cutout in the middle of the groove side that allows room for the nail gun foot.

Hammer and nail still gets used sometimes if it will take a bow out. Start the nail, engage the groove on each end, and hold the tongue up off the 2x so the nail hits the 2x farther back to start with, so it has somewhere to pull the board to.

Jason Roehl
08-10-2015, 7:58 PM
I mark the rubber bumpers on my nail guns with a contrasting Sharpie...

2 1/2" 16 gauge finish nailer works well for this. Angled would be a bonus.

Jerry Miner
08-11-2015, 2:43 AM
2 1/2" is overkill, IMHO. 1 3/4" is plenty. Done a lot this way.

Martin Wasner
08-11-2015, 7:58 AM
I've put up acres of t&g with a ¼" crown stapler and 1½" staples nailing them through the tongue. A finish gun works fine too, but I prefer the stapler for this task.