PDA

View Full Version : Hotrod your LN #60 1/2 Block Plane

Derek Cohen
08-10-2015, 11:18 AM
I spent the past weekend at the Perth Wood Show, and had a bit of fun demoing planing and sharpening for LN Australia. One of the bits I came away with was an adjuster modification by Bob Howard for the #60 1/2 (it may be used on some other LN planes as well). See: http://www.henryeckert.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=290_316

Notice anything different?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/Hotrod%20LN%20Block%20Plane/LN-Block1_zpsi637ldle.jpg

Well, the adjuster mod uses a bearing ...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/Hotrod%20LN%20Block%20Plane/LN-Block2_zps1cpbjpgm.jpg

You can see the original adjuster alongside ..

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/Hotrod%20LN%20Block%20Plane/LN-Block3_zps6lkt245u.jpg

The result is a much smoother adjustment of the blade.

Regards from Perth

Jim Koepke
08-10-2015, 12:11 PM
Thanks Derek,

That is kind of neat. My less involved method is to occasionally put a drop of oil on the nut. Especially on my LN #62 as there is a tendency for blade adjustments to move the blade laterally.

It is funny how when we get used to a little quirk it isn't as bothersome.

jtk

Allen Jordan
08-10-2015, 2:17 PM
That is a very clever idea. I've noticed the blade moving with the original adjuster from friction of the fit, this is a great solution.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-10-2015, 2:20 PM
That makes goid sense.

Christopher Charles
08-10-2015, 4:48 PM
That's flash. How's the backlash?

C

Derek Cohen
08-10-2015, 7:41 PM
That's flash. How's the backlash?

C

Hi Christopher

Backlash? Minimal to none.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mike Henderson
08-10-2015, 8:40 PM
Looks like a good idea. I wonder if anyone in the US carries it. Shipping from Oz could be expensive.

Mike

Chris Parks
08-10-2015, 9:17 PM
Looks like a good idea. I wonder if anyone in the US carries it. Shipping from Oz could be expensive.

Mike

The AUD is way down against the USD so you gain there.

Mike Henderson
08-10-2015, 10:40 PM
The AUD is way down against the USD so you gain there.
A US seller would not have to sell it for the same price in dollars. Right now, it's about $22USD so if someone in the US was selling them for $25USD it might be cheaper than paying the shipping from Oz.

[I sent them a message asking about shipping cost to the US. I'll let you know what I find out.]

Mike

Paul Saffold
08-10-2015, 10:47 PM
$28.89 US shipped :) That's with PayPal currency conversion which is not as good as the prime banks.

Patrick McCarthy
08-10-2015, 11:32 PM
OH Derek! AGAIN you cost me money; how can I live without one of these? More of my money off to Oz. oh well, I suppose it could be worse. ( yeah, ordered 3)

Peter Pedisich
08-11-2015, 8:31 PM
That is simply awesome! Thanks for sharing Derek

Allan Speers
08-11-2015, 8:57 PM
Cool little dingus.

- But I tried to order one and could not. That company's checkout system is a mess, when trying to ship out of Australia.

I sent them a message about it, but no response.

Patrick McCarthy
08-11-2015, 9:27 PM
Cool little dingus.

- But I tried to order one and could not. That company's checkout system is a mess, when trying to ship out of Australia.

I sent them a message about it, but no response.

My experience was smooth as silk. Used Visa. . . . . . but I forgot to ask if they have "Hey, I know Derek " discount . . . . .

Paul Saffold
08-11-2015, 10:30 PM
My experience was smooth as silk.

Same here. No problem at all. Used PayPal.

Allan Speers
08-12-2015, 3:18 AM
Tried again today.

Nope. There's still no way to get a shipping number for the USA.

- And still no response to my message.

Any ideas?

Chris Parks
08-12-2015, 7:33 AM
Give them a call on the phone.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-12-2015, 8:36 AM
My experience was smooth as silk. Used Visa. . . . . . but I forgot to ask if they have "Hey, I know Derek " discount . . . . .

No, I tried that and they charged me extra.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-12-2015, 8:59 AM
Update: I had the same problem generating shipping, but that's the norm for me. I sent them an email. Keep in mind that for those of you in the US, Australia is 14 or more hours ahead of you, depending on the time zone you are in, so expect a delay in response. They are sleeping soundly right now.

By the way, I believe it would be courteous to let them know that you heard about it from Derek, which is what I did. They might send him a thank you gift or something, and even if not, it's good for them to know where you heard about them. ...and I was of course kidding in the above post about them charging me extra. :-)

Jebediah Eckert
08-12-2015, 9:10 AM
I just bought 2 and I think it worked. It only gives you the choice for free shipping in Australia but I continued on....it let me fill out my US address and when I got to the checkout it added $12 for shipping which is what the site said is the charge for 2 units Shipped to US. Paying through PayPal it was about $52 total for two. Can't guarantee it worked but it seemed too. We will see......

Randy Karst
08-23-2015, 2:54 AM
I ordered two of the Howard Adjusters, they arrived this week, which was pretty quick. I installed them on my LN Low Angle Jack and my LN60 1/2 block plane. I like them, they are a nice refinement. In particular, it has made fine adjustment of the blade a little easier (smoother), especially on the LN 60 1/2. Not a bad deal at all -- thanks Derek. *The website now indicate shipping charges to the US ($9.00 for 1; $12.00 for 2 or more). **Note the bearings on both of mine appear to be a bit on the "dry" side; your experience may be different.

Mike Brady
08-23-2015, 10:20 AM
the bearings on both of mine appear to be a bit on the "dry" side

Isn't that the problem these are meant to solve?

Randy Karst
08-23-2015, 12:04 PM
Mike,
I shared that observationally, wondering if it is me or if others have experienced similar. Would I rather go without them, no. With them, finer increments of setting are more easily (smoothly) attained if you will. Not required but definitely recommend.

Malcolm Schweizer
08-23-2015, 12:08 PM
Just yesterday I became frustrated with my LN block plane because it had gummed up a bit and the wheel would come out.of the track before it moved the iron. I thoroughly cleaned it and got it going, but it showed me just how much resistance there can be. I tried ordering again; no shipping to USVI but there is to US. I will call them Monday.

Derek Cohen
08-23-2015, 12:55 PM
Just an observation or two about the bearing adjuster, and assuming that my (old) 60 1/2 has the same specs as all the others ..

The bearing on mine turns freely and smoothly. For those who feel theirs is tighter than expected, have you tried lubrication to the bearing?

The other point is that the wheel is a close fit in the groove. There is no or minimal free play. I find that only a little lever cap tightening is recommended, and then the adjustment is smooth. Too much tightening will cause the wheel to ride out of the groove.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mike Henderson
08-23-2015, 2:43 PM
I don't use my LN block plane very much - I have a couple of Stanley 65 knuckle joint cap planes that I prefer (with modern irons). But I pulled out my LN the other day and used it, adjusting the iron a few times. It seemed to adjust just fine, no pushing of the iron to the side at all - just down or up - as appropriate.

Mike