PDA

View Full Version : Dent Removal

Derek Cohen
08-10-2015, 9:39 AM
I am such a klutz much of the time. Trying to do things too quickly .. knocking over parts, or even a completed piece. Don't you hate it when you do this, and dent an edge?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Furniture/Dent%20removal/Dent1_zpsoh0vvpjx.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Furniture/Dent%20removal/Dent2_zps69tdq6dr.jpg

Step #1: wet the section (or not - not as important as the next step, but this wood is hard) ...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Furniture/Dent%20removal/Dent3_zps5f5wu4ss.jpg

Step #2: use a wet cloth and a hot iron (I have my own, discarded from the house, and kept in the workshop) to steam the dent out ...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Furniture/Dent%20removal/Dent4_zpsa95ttmu3.jpg

Step #3: a light scraping and there is little evidence of the insult ..

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Furniture/Dent%20removal/Dent10_zpsgi4bup2k.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Maurice Ungaro
08-10-2015, 9:43 AM
Derek, this is such an easy and oft overlooked solution. Have used this on table tops, floors, etc. As woodworkers, it's easy for us to understand that compressed fibers can be plumped up through hydration. And I thought I was the klutz around here!

glenn bradley
08-10-2015, 10:11 AM
Agreed. I have recovered some dents and dings that, like Derek's example, would surprise you. Thanks for the reminder of a great tip.

john zulu
08-10-2015, 11:05 AM
Good save Derek!

Mark Stutz
08-10-2015, 11:18 AM
Sometimes it takes more than one application, but this works well. Just make sure you don't grab the "good" iron from the laundry closet!

Mel Fulks
08-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Agree with Mark, and the old yard sale irons are often hotter than the new ones anyway.

Daniel Rode
08-10-2015, 11:33 AM
Hmmm...

That looks like a power tool. A real hand tool woodworker uses these :)

Jim Koepke
08-10-2015, 12:27 PM
Thanks Derek,

Great tip to save the day.

jtk

Dave Anderson NH
08-10-2015, 12:40 PM
You are not lonely in having Klutzy attacks Derek. I too have my own iron in the shop from one SMBO discarded. I also use mine on the steam setting to enhance things more than just the dampened wood and cloth. Every little bit helps. I have bunged up enough furniture parts over the years through moving too fast and carelessly in the shop that I keep worn out towels to wrap up and protect works in progress. I also invested in a padded furniture or movers blanket for partially assembled stuff too large for the towels. Unfortunately I still occasionally slip up and ding a part or two.

Kees Heiden
08-10-2015, 1:02 PM
Something that happened to me quite a few times is slipping with the plane when smoothing out a frame and panel door. That usually means a big dent in one of the corners. Allthough the hot iron doesn't remove it all, it certainly helps a good deal. I have an old iron from when I was still a bachelor and use if for waxing my skis too (skis are used on snow which is a solid form of water and white in color, probably pretty rare in Perth....)

george wilson
08-10-2015, 1:58 PM
I also have used the steam setting through a wet cloth to remove dents. As long as the wood hasn't actually been removed,you can usually do a good job of raising them back.

Mike Henderson
08-10-2015, 2:48 PM
I wet the wood and then use a heat gun to pop out dents. I have an iron in the shop, also.

Mike

Bill Adamsen
08-10-2015, 3:01 PM
Thanks for that confidence builder. I too have felt the crushing feeling of defeat when something like that happens ... it is a good reminder that all is not lost.

Tom McMahon
08-10-2015, 4:02 PM
One word of caution, it is possible to over raise the area around the dent when steaming the dent, if you then sand or scrape the area to level it, it can settle when it returns to equilibrium leaving a depression not as deep but larger in area. To avoid this when I raise a dent instead of a wet rag I use a Q-tip dipped in water and a small soldering iron for a heat source, with this setup I have more control over the area getting steamed. Make sure to let the area dry well before sanding. Many times I am raising dents on finished antiques, with this set up there is less damage to the finish to repair.

ian maybury
08-10-2015, 4:34 PM
Knew of the technique, but had no idea that it could recover so severe a dent in a not terribly wettable wood. Thanks Derek.

david charlesworth
08-11-2015, 1:25 AM
Derek's dent, was made by a nice soft shaped object, therefore 100% success.

Beware of objects with sharp square edges, like the front of some unmodified planes. These can cut the fibers across the grain.

The dent will recover but the cut fibers will always show.

David

Dave Cav
08-11-2015, 1:40 AM
We have varnished pine six panel doors inside the house. We also have big dogs (boxers). I discovered this trick a few years when I was refinishing the first door with dog toenail marks in it. I need to take the bedroom doors down and do them later this week.

Judson Green
08-11-2015, 9:58 AM
Hmmm...

That looks like a power tool. A real hand tool woodworker uses these :)

Amen to that!

This technique does work wonders though I've used it many times.

Mike Henderson
08-11-2015, 9:59 AM
I've seen a Japanese technique of surface decoration where they ding the wood in a pattern, then sand the surface down to the dings, then raise the dings with a technique something like this. Makes a 3D design.

Don't remember much about it - it was just something I saw in passing.

Mike

david charlesworth
08-12-2015, 2:02 AM
I think one application is the tendons on dolls hands. !

David