PDA

View Full Version : First time finishing walnut using oil (letter organizer)

Andrew Pitonyak
08-10-2015, 9:18 AM
Money is tight (so I did not want to purchase new wood) and I wanted a small letter organizer. I have a few Walnut boards so I used those. I have not done much work with walnut, and I am not an experienced finisher. Last time I used walnut, I slapped on a coat of shellac and called it good. It looked for its purpose but was not the least bit interesting. I decided to experiment and I spent time reading walnut finishing threads on the forum here and then I used what I have sitting around.

First, I slapped on a single coat of Watkin's Danish Oil (since I have a can just sitting around). I put it on let it sit, then I wiped it mostly dry.
I let the parts sit for about a week
I then rubbed with a cloth to make sure it really was as dry as I thought it was.
I took some yellow shellac flakes and added some alcohol.
I slapped a few coats of shellac onto the parts.

My primary intent was functional, and I toyed with rounding the corners and cutting a pattern out of the inside of the boards.

I used a single board.

If I laid the "separator" boards end to end, they would show a continuous patterns.

This is my first piece that I finished before assembly. It made it much easier to clean-up glue squeeze out. I created some shorter sacrificial "separator" boards that I put in place when I applied finish. I removed them while the finish dried so that I did not end up with a bond between them. I applied a thin strip of painters tape along the bottom of the separator board so that there is a small area with no finish so that there can be a glue surface. I was a bit nervous about this, but it worked well.

I cut the dadoes for the separator boards on the table saw using flat topped rip blade using multiple passes. I just crept up on a tight fit. One side I did not check properly so it was to tight. I figured this out before I applied any finish but after I had already moved my fence and changed the blade on the saw, so I fixed that using some course sandpaper wrapped around some thin plywood. It is a tight fit for all of the boards. I did end up with some shellac at the mating surface, so it took a wee bit of persuasion to get the boards in the place as it peeled a small amount of shellac off as the board slid into place (translation, I hit it with a hammer and a block of wood).

For those of you with a bunch of experience, you already knew how much of a difference a bit of oil would make. For me, it was enlightening. I built a computer desk using African mahogany a while back and I finished it using Waterlox original sealer and finish. Later, i used some of that left over wood and I built a small chest with two drawers (about 14" square) that I finished using only shellac. The difference in the finish was striking. No comparison between how good the Waterlox finish is compared to the boring shellac. It seems that I could have jazzed that one up a bit if I had hit it with a coat of oil first. I was trying to avoid the excessive dry time that I gave the desk with the Waterlox (I let some parts sit finished for a month or two before I used them).

John TenEyck
08-10-2015, 10:55 AM
Oil really does bring out the depth of grain with walnut. It's the only time I will use BLO on a piece. Using oil doesn't have to extend the finishing schedule very much either. There have been several articles with details, but the short story is you wipe on a VERY thin coat of BLO, basically just enough to wet the surface. Let it dry/cure overnight then seal it with a coat or two of dewaxed shellac, then apply your topcoats. You are extending the finishing process by no more than one day with this approach, well worth it for the effect it has.

John

Prashun Patel
08-10-2015, 12:05 PM
"No comparison between how good the Waterlox finish is compared to the boring shellac."

I am not sure this is a true statement all the time. On some pieces I would be hard pressed to tell the difference in depth were it not for the thickness of the film. Waterlox is a darker finish, which can also affect how you perceive the finish.

The difference between (shellac or oil) and a waterbased finish, now, is striking.

IMHO, if properly prepped (sanded or planed) a shellacked finish can be just as striking as an oil finished one.

Charles Taylor
08-10-2015, 12:28 PM
"No comparison between how good the Waterlox finish is compared to the boring shellac."

I am not sure this is a true statement all the time. On some pieces I would be hard pressed to tell the difference in depth were it not for the thickness of the film. Waterlox is a darker finish, which can also affect how you perceive the finish.

The difference between (shellac or oil) and a waterbased finish, now, is striking.

IMHO, if properly prepped (sanded or planed) a shellacked finish can be just as striking as an oil finished one.

Orange/amber shellac over BLO is my favorite finish for walnut. Waterlox looks nearly as nice (to me) and is my choice when I want more durability than shellac can provide.