PDA

View Full Version : Grease Gun Has Me Stumped !

Allan Speers
08-10-2015, 4:32 AM
I just picked up a small grease gun at a house sale. It seems to be full of grease, but when I pump it, nothing comes out. I also can't figure out how to open it, to see what kind of cartridge it uses. (It's not the standard size.) The part that holds grease (I can't even tell if there's a cartridge in there) is about 6" long.

Such a simple little thing but I'm stumped. Any ideas?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31826742/Grease%20gun%20-%201%20%20%20.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31826742/Grease%20gun%20-%202%20%20%20.jpg

Bill ThompsonNM
08-10-2015, 7:39 AM
Looks like it has a cartridge in the gun. Both the top and bottom unscrew on mine.
Usually at the auto parts store there are two sizes of cartridge, this uses the smaller one.
Getting it to work? I'd start by cleaning it up and using a new cartridge. Sometimes, particularly on cheaper guns it seems impossible to keep from getting pockets of air near the cap so the grease no longer feeds into the cylinder where the piston pushes it out. Most have some way of bleeding off the air but some models you have to crack the top to let it out.

roger wiegand
08-10-2015, 5:56 PM
Looks to me like it doesn't use those newfangled cartridges, had one just like it for years. Just fill it with grease, They stop pumping when they are nearly empty.

Mike Lassiter
08-10-2015, 6:16 PM
Looks to me like it doesn't use those newfangled cartridges, had one just like it for years. Just fill it with grease, They stop pumping when they are nearly empty.

Roger is right. If it took a cartridge there would be a spring loaded plunger with a handle you would pull out to compress the spring then cock it into a notch in the bottom cover to hold the plunger out so you could remove the tube and replace the grease cartridge. What you yave only has a plate in the bottom where the grease goes. You pack grease into the metal tube until full then screw the top back on and pump the handle until grease starts coming out. It works by atmospheric pressure pushing the plate and grease up toward the handle as you pump it. I have a small one handed one used to grease air tools (impact wrenches and air ratchets)
If you need to grease very much (even if you don't) getting one that takes cartridges is much quicker and less messy to refill when empty.

Allan Speers
08-10-2015, 7:34 PM
Thanks, guys. :)