PDA

View Full Version : ID a saw?? Which George made this?

steven c newman
08-09-2015, 8:28 PM
One of the Birthday present saws. A 22" long skew back plate. 10 ppi. Four saw bolts, counting a Warranted Superior medallion with a fancy eagle. Handle is highly carved with a wheat pattern. Either carved or worn area that fits the thumb perfectly. Readable etch...barely. Has CLEARCUT for a logo. With what looks like saw teeth or mountains behind the letters. A No. 118 is stamped above three lines of script.

There is a Very hard to read name under these line A Stylized "G" then either a "H" or a "W"....orthayford????

Wheat carving start in the middle of the handle. They also made a wrap-around at the medallion. There is a "branch" above the top two bolts. Another branch goes past the wrap-around, and ends at the bottom bolt.

Does not appear to be cut down in length. Still almost an inch below the handle at the heel.

Center line appears to say" the best spring steel, highly tempered"...

Handle does have a dark brown finish, wood underneath is alight brown. normal saw bolt slots, not split nut.

Trying to ID this nice little saw. Panel saw?

Any ideas out there/????:confused:

steven c newman
08-09-2015, 8:57 PM
Tried to get a few photos
Plate is 22" long, skew back, 10 ppi ( stamped under the handle)
Four bolt handle. Right where your thumb would rest, it is either worn or shaped to fit a thumb.
Wheat carving. Lots of wheat carving. There is a notch at the top. This is a non-cover top handle.
About the best I can get of the signiture in the etch.

Any ideas out there....

steven c newman
08-10-2015, 10:42 AM
My "Search-fu" has turned up anything....might help IF I had a name of some sort to look up....

Rob Paul
08-10-2015, 8:07 PM
Looks like your saw may be a hardware store brand.
[Closest I found was CleanCut brand, from the DCH Company. (Dunham, Carrigan, & Hayden, San Francisco), But that doesn't fit your etch description]

Lee Schierer
08-10-2015, 8:22 PM
Can you take a good focused photo of the button.

steven c newman
08-10-2015, 9:23 PM
Medallion is a Warranted above an Eagle, with Superior below the eagle.

Camera has no macro settings, sorry

Eagle has a LONG neck, looking to theleft as you look at him. Has a branch in it's right foot. "arrows" in it's left. No stars either.

Karl Andersson
08-11-2015, 8:10 AM
Steven,
It could be George Worthington Co (large Cleveland hardware chain); they had saws made and etched for them, although ones currently found on an ebay search don't have a signature under the etch and the wheat carving is different. See item 351219362123 - apparently the seller thinks highly of them. With the long-necked eagle, yours may be an older one, as it seems it took a while for Americans to figure out that eagles don't have turkey necks (see early folk art depictions of eagles and you'll see what I mean).
Karl

Jim Koepke
08-11-2015, 11:10 AM
DCH Company. (Dunham, Carrigan, & Hayden, San Francisco)

I remember them from when I was a kid. My mom used to call them "Dirty, Crummy and Hungry."

My dad would occasionally get things from them. I recall a large hard bound catalog. This was probably before 1960.

jtk

Joe Tilson
08-11-2015, 12:09 PM
Steven,
Does it look anything like this Atkins?
It has a warranted superior medallion with an eagle like you described, but this one has a perfection #65 plate.
Just wondering.
Joe

Joe Tilson
08-11-2015, 12:14 PM
319404319405 Sorry, Pics didn't take first time around.

Tim Atkins
08-11-2015, 1:21 PM
Looks like a Atkins" Mechanic series. They were about that size and great little saws. Same dark handle. Does it have silver screws and nuts ?

Tim

steven c newman
08-11-2015, 2:19 PM
Nope, they are brass ones. Well, since Cleveland is just up the road ( 4 hour drive) this might have been from there....local Antique Store had this one. Grandson picked it out.