PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Age distribution of woodworkers?

Frederick Skelly
08-09-2015, 8:01 PM
The resurrected "shop time in retirement" thread got me to thinking about the demographics of woodworking - a topic we've touched on before. So here's a simple and hopefully interesting poll.

Alan Bienlein
08-09-2015, 8:13 PM
Gonna turn 50 this November.

Pat Barry
08-09-2015, 8:22 PM
I dont understand the groupings. What about the 70 year olds, 80 year olds, and 90 year olds? Also teenagers?

Frederick Skelly
08-09-2015, 8:53 PM
I dont understand the groupings. What about the 70 year olds, 80 year olds, and 90 year olds? Also teenagers?

Hi Pat. There wasn't really any science to the groupings. I was trying to see how many "young people" do woodworking (under 35), how many at or beyond retirement age do it (62 or older) and then simply anyone in between.

My thinking is that the "retirement age" grouping had the "opportunity" to take shop in high school (though many didn't), while the under 35 group may not have had the opportunity to take shop in school, depending on where they grew up. After thinking more about it, the two middle groups (36-50 & 51-61) are kind of "shades of gray" (though I didn't conciously plan it that way). The 51-61 group probably also had the opportunity to take a high school shop class, but shop class was probably slightly less available to the 36-50 group. In hindsight, I probably should have made the young age group less than maybe 28, but you can see my basic thinking.

I was just trying to keep it simple, is all.

Best regards,
Fred

Bruce Wrenn
08-09-2015, 9:48 PM
I don't know if you saw picture in current issue of Wood of their 2015
Wood Event, but with the exception of a couple young ladies, most were grey / bald headed.

Frederick Skelly
08-09-2015, 9:52 PM
I don't know if you saw picture in current issue of Wood of their 2015
Wood Event, but with the exception of a couple young ladies, most were grey / bald headed.

Yeah, I noticed that too Bruce. Bummer, huh? Guys I know who are into cars tell me that their hobby is "graying" as well .....

Susumu Mori
08-09-2015, 10:41 PM
I think these three categories happened to be perfect because they all have similar numbers.
Surprised by the small number for 35 and less

Jeffrey Martel
08-10-2015, 12:23 AM
I'm only 28. Always the youngest person in the store (minus kids tagging along with dad) when I go to Rockler, Woodcraft, or the lumberyard.

Matt Day
08-10-2015, 7:20 AM
Phew, made the "young people" group by 3 months!

I did have limited metal and wood shop in HS, but working with my Dad and his tools is really what planted the seed.

daryl moses
08-10-2015, 7:25 AM
Looks like us old farts are pulling ahead!

Larry Browning
08-10-2015, 9:40 AM
I wonder what the OPs age is. My guess is that he is in one of the youngest 2 groups. Also my prediction is that the 2 oldest groups will will be more than double (maybe even triple) the 2 youngest. And that the 62 and older will win by a wide margin.

Michael Stein
08-10-2015, 10:37 AM
I wonder what the OPs age is. My guess is that he is in one of the youngest 2 groups. Also my prediction is that the 2 oldest groups will will be more than double (maybe even triple) the 2 youngest. And that the 62 and older will win by a wide margin.

Funny this thread was posted, as after I made my post to that thread, I was thinking about the same thing. I often wonder how many other people around my age, 29, are into woodworking. I do have a couple friends who are very much DIY type guys, the kind that can fix or build anything, though none are really into the craft of woodworking. Myself, I am a mix between the two, I just enjoy working with my hands. My favorite thing is working in the shop, taking an idea from paper to product, and solving all the problems in between.

I taught Project Lead the Way (high school 3 & middle school 2) for 5 years out of college, before I got into Healthcare IT. I used to do an "about me" type activity on the first day of each semester. I would always tell my students that one of my hobbies was problem solving. Now, working in IT and problem solving being the majority of my job, I feel right at home in the office.

Keith Weber
08-10-2015, 10:44 AM
Apparently this is my old man hobby. Time to get out the dirt bike to young it up a bit.

Joe Jensen
08-10-2015, 10:45 AM
A second poll on how long have we been woodworking would be interesting. I have been doing it for almost 40 years. Took my first paying job at 14. It's a hobby since college but I've been at it a long time.

George Bokros
08-10-2015, 10:46 AM
I wonder what the OPs age is. My guess is that he is in one of the youngest 2 groups.

He is in the 36 to 50 group

Jeffrey Martel
08-10-2015, 10:51 AM
Apparently this is my old man hobby. Time to get out the dirt bike to young it up a bit.

Definitely. This is what I do to remind people that I'm still in my 20's.

Susumu Mori
08-10-2015, 11:34 AM
I was surprised by the result. Does it mean people tend to pick us WW at the later stage of career or the WW hobby itself is aging?

If the former is the case, is it because WW is relatively expensive hobby (both equipment and material) for young?
If the latter is the case, young people nowadays like to pick up other kinds of hobbies?

What is the theory?

By the way, I'm in the second oldest. Still some years to join the highest rank.

Max Neu
08-10-2015, 11:56 AM
I am 42, somewhere in the middle I guess.I often wonder what this trade/hobby will be like in a few decades.There just doesn't seem to be many younger people interested in it anymore.I often get older guy's that stop by the shop that are intrigued/fascinated by what I do,but can't recall ever seeing a younger person (20's or below) that had any interest in my operation,all they seem to care about is getting their product delivered on time.

Steve Kinnaird
08-10-2015, 12:17 PM
Will be 60 in January.
Thus the reason for building the new workshop.
Yes, that's right, spending my son's inheritance :)

Peter Aeschliman
08-10-2015, 12:18 PM
Does it mean people tend to pick us WW at the later stage of career or the WW hobby itself is aging?

If the former is the case, is it because WW is relatively expensive hobby (both equipment and material) for young?
If the latter is the case, young people nowadays like to pick up other kinds of hobbies?

Exactly the right questions. I'm sure it's a mix of both- in that retiree thread, I saw a lot of posts from people who picked up the hobby maybe 10 years before retiring. I suspect many people don't have time or money for woodworking while the kids are in the house or sucking them dry on college education costs. But once that's gone, people find themselves with lots of extra time... so they seek out hobbies.

But at the same time I think you're right about the $$ thing for younger people. I don't think most of the older folks fully understand the financial uncertainty that younger people are facing nowadays. The economy still isn't all that strong, and it's particularly bad for recent college grads. The cost of college is massively higher than it was when most of you guys went to school (heck, even for me), so many kids have huge debt with weak career prospects. Spending thousands on tools isn't high on the priority list when you can hardly make rent.

I'm 34. I'm extremely fortunate that my parents paid for my college, and my career has gone fairly well since then. I'm no Rockefeller, but I've been able to trade up on my tools, buy a house, and am now working on converting my unfinished basement into a shop. I'm completely blessed and undeserving. But I really do think money is a much bigger issue for younger people than it used to be.

Michael Stein
08-10-2015, 12:23 PM
I am 42, somewhere in the middle I guess.I often wonder what this trade/hobby will be like in a few decades.There just doesn't seem to be many younger people interested in it anymore.I often get older guy's that stop by the shop that are intrigued/fascinated by what I do,but can't recall ever seeing a younger person (20's or below) that had any interest in my operation,all they seem to care about is getting their product delivered on time.

If you lived near me, I am certain I would have made a showing. I am constantly on the lookout for open garages and detached shops in peoples backyards. If I see one, I make a mental note and try to stop in when the doors are open. I have three currently on my radar that I am awaiting a good chance to stop in, not certain if these guys are woodworkers, car guys, or just DIY type guys, but I like to at least say hello and see what they are working on. - I don't go out of my way to constantly drive by, but when I do, I take a look.

I stopped at a guys shop once, he was a retired charter boat captain, and now builds model boats. He builds everything out of recycled materials, wood he finds, pallets, old furniture, etc. He is very detailed, even making fishing rods and reels, hanging netting on shrimp boats, little pieces of plastic to represent lights, etc. He has built skiffs for each of his grandchildren with there name on the transom. His shop is dirty, unorganized (to my eye at least), and he does most of everything with a 14" bandsaw, but boy does he make some cool stuff! Next time I stop in, I will try and take a picture or two. He was building a replica of on of the "deadliest catch" boats last time I was there... Typing this out makes me want to stop by today.

cody michael
08-10-2015, 12:44 PM
I'm 27, I started woodshop in my school in 7th grade, loved it, took woodshop all 4 yrs in highschool then I started slowly buying tools to build my own woodshop. I have never had much money, but eye craigslist like a hawk for good deals, upgrade and sell my old tools, some deals I have got big upgrades at little cost or even made money. most the time it has been people much older then me who I have bought and sold to, one of my planers I sold to a younger guy, I would be surprised if he was 20, I through in some maple boards I had to help get him started.

Mark Blatter
08-10-2015, 12:57 PM
It really does depend on location for wood shop. Two of my daughters, today 24 & 21, both took wood shop in high school. While both enjoyed it, one more than the other. That same one is also working on a dairy in small town (12000 cows and 250 people). My favorite text she has ever sent me went something like this "Dad I couldn't get it done today as the semen guys showed up with the semen and wanted to take us to lunch." She works on the artificial insemination team, but it was the most off the wall text I have ever received.

She still loves it and wants to sell her bedroom set (cherry) so she can make a new one. Perhaps once she completes grad school.

I did three years of shop in jr. high school and have been enjoying it ever since. I even did a few small projects while I was deployed with the Navy. I would scrounge pallet wood on the piers in different ports we visited.

Part of the problem is that so many under 30 are more into tech than wood. Those that want to hand's on activities, build computers or gaming platforms.

Roy Harding
08-10-2015, 2:06 PM
I'm 55 - and have been a hobbyist for well over 30 years, and have made my living (poor as it is, and supplemented by a pension) for the past 10 years or so.

I got into it when we first had kids - I couldn't believe the prices for children's furniture, and I was SURE that I could do it cheaper. I was wrong, I couldn't do it cheaper, but I could do it BETTER. My first attempts were pathetic piles of construction grade lumber and cheap plywood, held together with many, many screws, and LOTS of optimism - but they did the job. They were made with a 7 1/4" "Skil Saw", and a 1/4" electric drill. At the time, I LUSTED after a 3/8" drill.

I had a career in the Canadian Army, and over the course of that career did many home renovations, some furniture projects, and began to accumulate some tools (like many here, I learned the hard way that if you buy a quality tool, you'll only cry over the price once - most of my original tools have since been replaced with better quality ones).

All that to say - I got into this through what I (mistakenly) saw as economic thrift. That I was wrong on the economics is immaterial; I began to enjoy the process. In my time I was a "tech guy" (databases being my forte), and can still run circles around most younger folks of my acquaintance when it comes to computers and digitalization - but I find working with real materials, in the real world, and producing real (as opposed to virtual) items much more satisfying than anything else.

This satisfaction in producing "real" stuff appears to me to be a trending "fad" amongst folks of all ages, I don't know why - I just know that it feels good.

Jim German
08-10-2015, 2:24 PM
Phew, made the "young people" group by 3 months!

Hi-Five! Me too!

Jim German
08-10-2015, 2:28 PM
If you lived near me, I am certain I would have made a showing. I am constantly on the lookout for open garages and detached shops in peoples backyards. If I see one, I make a mental note and try to stop in when the doors are open. I have three currently on my radar that I am awaiting a good chance to stop in, not certain if these guys are woodworkers, car guys, or just DIY type guys, but I like to at least say hello and see what they are working on. - I don't go out of my way to constantly drive by, but when I do, I take a look.

I live in a neighborhood with a pretty mixed group of ages. I recently bought a Bridgeport and spent a few hours getting it off the truck. I had 3 guys from the neighborhood, all under 35 stop by to talk about it. Nobody older stopped by.

Brian Holcombe
08-10-2015, 2:29 PM
I think it's just that the hobby requires one to be somewhat situated or incredibly dedicated in order to proceed. I know a few guys who have planing beams and saw horses in their apartments and put out some very fine work, but the majority seem to wait until they can setup a shop.

I'm 30 now and lucky that I've been able to setup a shop in my house and prior to that work off of some makeshift situations in my dad's metal shop.

There is plenty of interest amongst people my age.

Ellen Benkin
08-10-2015, 3:06 PM
This is the distribution of woodworkers who "subscribe" to Sawmill Creek, not ALL woodworkers.

Joe Bradshaw
08-10-2015, 4:00 PM
I was raised on a farm in NC and we had to learn to fix/repair things. I had a vocational agriculture class for four years in high school. That really whetted my interest in woodworking. I spent 21 years as a US Navy Seabee. I have had a dedicated shop for the last 15 years. I don't do much flat work, as I am really into turning. I am also in the old guys group(71). As did so many others I have up graded my tools.
Joe

roger wiegand
08-10-2015, 6:04 PM
"beyond retirement age (62 or older)"

I'm definitely doing something wrong. Wish I could have retired at 62! (Still had two kids in college) Does anyone other than silicon valley whiz guys get to retire that early?

Jesse Busenitz
08-10-2015, 6:08 PM
We'll I'm in the bottom group at 23 and have been doing woodwork as at least a hobby for 10 years. I grew up on a farm and still help out during harvest and other busy time, but other than that I've been slowly gaining customers until now I'm a self employed woodworker. I'm in the process of moving to a "new renovated" shop. I do have a few other hobbies but woodworking always consumed the most time and $$$. Also most of my woodworking friends are in the bottom group as well, so it's not a complete dying breed.

Glenn Clabo
08-10-2015, 6:31 PM

I'm definitely doing something wrong. Wish I could have retired at 62! (Still had two kids in college) Does anyone other than silicon valley whiz guys get to retire that early?

Yes...military personnel get to "retire" after 20 years service. Of course they actually don't end up with enough $$$ to live as comfortably as they should for what they did...so they end up with a second career.

Frederick Skelly
08-10-2015, 7:45 PM
This is the distribution of woodworkers who "subscribe" to Sawmill Creek, not ALL woodworkers.

Yes Ma'am, you're sure right. I have no way of knowing whether the SMC audience is even close to a representative sample of all woodworkers. But my gut says 'no'.

Bruce Wrenn
08-10-2015, 9:06 PM
Looks like us old farts are pulling ahead!Why are old men called "old farts," and old women "gas bags?" Aren't they the same thing?

Alan Lightstone
08-10-2015, 10:31 PM
I'm only 28. Always the youngest person in the store (minus kids tagging along with dad) when I go to Rockler, Woodcraft, or the lumberyard.

I'm usually the youngest guy when I go into Woodcraft, and I'm twice your age.

Alex Burkhardt
08-11-2015, 1:16 AM
I'll chime in as a relatively new woodworker, newbie to the forum, and member of the "youngster" category ...

As a 28 year old college grad, for me, it comes down to lack of funds. While I am fortunate to have a good job, a roof over my head, and a wonderful wife, the student loans that we share will keep me from being able to spend, in good conscience, any significant amount of money on this hobby. Owning a home is unfortunately many years down the road, let alone purchasing any serious machinery, or having an actual shop space. Being at the lower end of the spectrum often means that conversations, reviews, articles, and advise refer to tools or methods that are out of reach, and will continue to be for quite some time. I dont believe anyone is necessarily to blame, as the market will shift to where there is money to be made, and spent. I just think its a shame that a hobby that is this rewarding, and allows a person to work with their hands to create something, also carries with it such a large barrier to entry. My love for building things with my hands will keep me involved in some way, shape, or form, but as for the rest of my generation? Im not so sure ...

Frederick Skelly
08-11-2015, 7:03 AM
I'll chime in as a relatively new woodworker, newbie to the forum, and member of the "youngster" category ...

As a 28 year old college grad, for me, it comes down to lack of funds. While I am fortunate to have a good job, a roof over my head, and a wonderful wife, the student loans that we share will keep me from being able to spend, in good conscience, any significant amount of money on this hobby. Owning a home is unfortunately many years down the road, let alone purchasing any serious machinery, or having an actual shop space. Being at the lower end of the spectrum often means that conversations, reviews, articles, and advise refer to tools or methods that are out of reach, and will continue to be for quite some time. I dont believe anyone is necessarily to blame, as the market will shift to where there is money to be made, and spent. I just think its a shame that a hobby that is this rewarding, and allows a person to work with their hands to create something, also carries with it such a large barrier to entry. My love for building things with my hands will keep me involved in some way, shape, or form, but as for the rest of my generation? Im not so sure ...

Hi Alex,
I want to make sure you know that - if you want to - you can still do beautiful work without a room full of machines. Hand tools are slower and take a bit of effort to learn. But they don't have to be expensive and they can be (and are) used in apartments by woodworkers. There are ways to scavenge usable wood to save money too.

If you haven't already, please come over to the Neanderthal Forum here at SMC and lurk, or post asking for advice on how to WW on a tight budget or just search the SMC archives. Not everyone can afford a $1000 tablesaw (or a $300 Lie Neilsen hand plane) and we all get that. We're here to help. Also, I think both David Charlesworth and Christopher Schwartz have written about "minimalist" woodworking.

Drop me a PM if I can help.

Fred

cody michael
08-11-2015, 7:59 AM
Hi Alex,
I want to make sure you know that - if you want to - you can still do beautiful work without a room full of machines. Hand tools are slower and take a bit of effort to learn. But they don't have to be expensive and they can be (and are) used in apartments by woodworkers. There are ways to scavenge usable wood to save money too.

If you haven't already, please come over to the Neanderthal Forum here at SMC and lurk, or post asking for advice on how to WW on a tight budget or just search the SMC archives. Not everyone can afford a $1000 tablesaw (or a $300 Lie Neilsen hand plane) and we all get that. We're here to help. Also, I think both David Charlesworth and Christopher Schwartz have written about "minimalist" woodworking.

Drop me a PM if I can help.

Fred

I have a pretty good collection of planes, that I don't know how to use yet, garage sale finds, maybe 30$ total for 8-9 planes

Bruce Page
08-11-2015, 11:35 AM

Alex, in addition to Frederick's sage advise, very few of us started out with a shop full of tools. Most started with one tool needed to do a job and grew from there. I started with a Sears router & jig saw! It can be an expensive hobby but it doesn't have to happen all at once.
Local woodworking co-op's or clubs can also offer many benefits to a new woodworker.

Jeffrey Martel
08-11-2015, 12:02 PM

I know the feeling. I think my wife and I graduated with about the same amount of debt as our yearly salaries combined in the first engineering jobs after school. We've knocked it down to about half or a little less now.

Depending on what tools you have and what your skills are, you can easily turn this into a low-cost or no-cost hobby. While they are boring to produce, long grain cutting boards made me some pretty nice hourly rates. I don't think I've used personal money for more than about 20% of what's in my shop, including wood. The rest has all been paid for by doing work for other people.

I no longer build cutting boards, because they don't interest me. I've moved on to furniture and fine boxes and things like that. However, you can make a 5-6ft long strip of long grain boards in about the same amount of time as a single board, and then just crosscut them into 5 boards. Couple of hours worth of work and you can easily sell them at $50-60 a piece without much effort. After materials I think I was making $25/hr doing that.

Phillip Gregory
08-11-2015, 12:58 PM
The poll results very much reflect what I see as well. I am in the "first category" in your poll and nearly everybody that is in a woodworking store or even talks about woodworking is at least 60. They are extremely surprised a younger guy is interested in anything besides Facebook and their smartphone.

I got into the hobby when I was little and my Dad would take me into the shop when he built things. I didn't do a whole lot when I was in college due to lack of funds and space, but afterwards I slowly started to accumulate tools and work on various projects. Massive student loans, young children, no money, and long-hours, low-pay entry level jobs make it tough for most young people who would like to do much of woodworking to do so. It often takes getting into your 40s to get the rapacious student loan debt paid off, get a decent house with a shop, kids being old enough, and a job which isn't an 80 hour a week "pay your dues" job any more.

Brian Holcombe
08-12-2015, 7:58 PM

There is a fellow here who works off of saw horses and a planing beam and makes absolutely gorgeous woodwork with a set of hand tools in his apartment.

Bruce Mack
08-14-2015, 8:26 AM
It's about passion to make something, not acquire something. In my case it happened after 30 years of amateur photography, with my own small black and white darkroom in NYC. When we moved to northeast PA in 1988 my muse stayed in the city and I discovered we lived in a hardwood-rich state. Workshop was on the third floor of our house, otherwise unused by us. I taught myself with a circular saw and rip guide on a sacrificial plank, graduated to the least expensive Grizzly saw and went from there. Now at 71 it's about hand tools and curved surfaces and I'm still obsessed. My career was in health care, so I was blessed with interaction and meaningful encounters. Still I needed the physicality of walking the city, taking photos and putting them on paper, or hauling lumber up 2 flights and making furniture for me and my family. I'm pretty sure younger people need similar interaction, and I expect cottage woodworking will stay alive.

Rod Sheridan
08-14-2015, 9:54 AM

Yes, I'll be retiring in a couple of years at age 60..........Rod.

Mike Ontko
08-14-2015, 11:45 AM
It's about passion to make something, not acquire something.

I agree completely, although making something with a well crafted tool that you acquired for a bargain or that came by way of a well researched decision is certainly satisfying as well.

I had visions (or delusions maybe) of getting into wood working as something more than just a casual interest when I was maybe 9 or 10. Using tools that gran-pa gave me as a birthday gift along with a hand made toolbox, I would tear down wooden fruit crates (my dad was in the produce business) and reuse the pieces to practice sawing and hammering. I took wood and other shop classes in junior high (7th, 8th, and 9th) and then in high school I was able to take nursery/landscaping, carpentry, painting, and sheet metal fabrication courses as part of coordinated program with a local technical/vocational college. (Looking back on all that now, it's odd to recall that my first related construction job was in concrete cutting, working with large hydraulic track saws, core drills, and jack hammers.) In my senior year, while taking a remedial course (one of several) in English composition, the instructor had liked an essay I wrote on constructing a bed (which I'd never actually done before) and so he asked me to build one for him. My first potential client! I came up with the plans but didn't have access to a shop or even basic cabinetmaking tools. So I had to pass up on what could have been a golden opportunity. Many moons have come and gone since then, and after a brief 6-year stint in the Navy, raising two daughters, completing college, and the reno/remodels on two houses, I've finally got the makings of my own humble shop. It pales in comparison to some of the artisanal chateaus I've seen posted from time to time on this board, but it's a start. Earlier this summer, while I was just getting started on a coffee table project (the first of many honey-dos to come, I'm sure) I was presented with an opportunity to design (first presented here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?231242-Platform-Bed-Design-Critique)) and build a bed (pics posted here) (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?233903-Creeker-s-Weekend-Accomplishments) for a couple of friends (or friends that are a couple, however you'd put it). It only took 36 years, but I saw (no pun intended) that project as a way of getting back to where I was once before, something to do in my later years instead of taking up lawn bowling.

Frederick Skelly
08-17-2015, 7:10 AM
Just a bump to bring this to the top briefly before the poll closes in a couple days. If you haven't voted, please consider doing so.

It's been interesting, because the percentage of Creekers in each group hasn't changed dramatically from day to day, it's just slowly drifted apart 5 or 6% percent. Except for the young group - while it's come up a few % since we started, it's still pretty low. I don't know if that's due to a shift in interests across the generations, the demise of high school shop class, the perceived cost of entry into the hobby, or a combination of all of them. (All of which were touched on above.) But this small sample of Creekers is consistent with what we all see at the tool store, lumber yard and shows.

Anyone have additional thoughts?

Thanks for responding to this simple poll. It's been fun to watch.
Fred

Dale Murray
08-17-2015, 8:55 AM
If I had the resources when I was 20 I would have had a shop then. I did have access to dads shop but it was semi-reluctant access.

Malcolm McLeod
08-17-2015, 11:05 AM
Alex,
I know the financial responsibilities can be overwhelming, but there are a number of ways to get where you want to be. I'll spare you a repeat of the limited-tool-set or shop-wisely mantra and suggest something that prompted me to (recently) join SMC. I have been amazed at the generosity expressed by SMC members - both of their time and their experience.

I was given both the wood bug and lots of tools by my father. I will never in my lifetime be able to wear out the tools, so have offered numerous family, friends, and neighbors the opportunity to use them as their needs and interest dictate. My suspicion is that many here would offer the same - - a tool is useless if its not being used.

If you need the use of a high end tool, loiter in the nearest Rockler, Woodcraft, hardwood supplier, etc.. Ask if others have the access to the tool you need. ...do they know someone? You'll probably be amazed at the result. (It might not be as convenient as the 40X60 shop you picture on your back-40, but it might get you over the hump on a project.)

Or, drop by my place. I'll be happy to explain how you're doing it all wrong!;)

Troy Turner
08-18-2015, 5:50 PM
Been doing it about 15 years as a hobby. Sold a couple of pieces, but like the hobby aspect better :D Plan on doing it till I can't anymore...

David Helm
08-18-2015, 7:17 PM
I think the category "62 and older" is way too broad. There are woodworkers in their 60s, in their 70s, in their 80s and maybe even some in their 90s. 62 and older is not a homogenous demographic.

Peter Aeschliman
08-18-2015, 7:31 PM
David, I doubt that's what the OP meant to imply. You could argue the same for the <35 crowd- probably even more so.

The distribution came out pretty with the exception of the young group. So I think that's an indication that he picked the categories pretty well!

Frederick Skelly
08-19-2015, 5:24 AM
I think the category "62 and older" is way too broad. There are woodworkers in their 60s, in their 70s, in their 80s and maybe even some in their 90s. 62 and older is not a homogenous demographic.

Hi David.
If you're still interested and you have a minute, read over post #4 in this thread. I laid out my thoughts as best I could there. But basically, I felt 62 and older was "retirement eligable" age, which sort of identified a generation of woodworkers.

Take care,
Fred

Frederick Skelly
08-19-2015, 5:27 AM
The distribution came out pretty with the exception of the young group. So I think that's an indication that he picked the categories pretty well!

Thanks Peter! Wish I could claim that it was skill, but it was probably just luck. :)
Take care,
Fred