PDA

View Full Version : Chamfer and Other Edging Planes

Jim Koepke
08-09-2015, 6:31 PM
In the thread, "Tools not made - yet" I made a comment about how my opinion at one time was the chamfer plane might be a superfluous tool. After all, most of us can make a chamfer with a block plane.

Recently while working on a bunch of molding planes two chamfer planes were found and sharpened. It seems the consistent chamfer made has somewhat changed my thoughts on the usefulness of a chamfer plane.

This may have all started for me many years ago when I saw this in a local hardware store:

My recollection is it was about $10 at the time. It is a good tool for smoothing corners most of the time. It does need to go with the grain and did require a bit of adjustment before being useful. On squirrelly grain it can have a lot of chip out. The sole is actually a piece of 90º brass angle iron. There are two blades so it can usually make a good corner round over with one pass.

Here are the two chamfer planes that have been sitting on a shelf waiting to be discovered:

It appears that at least one set of owners stamps is by the same person. These must have been passed around a lot since there are a lot of different names. The makers names seem to be lost to time. There are parts of the makers names, but it isn't something that matters greatly to me.

Here are the results of the planes work. First the two chamfer planes:

One is a bit wider than the other.

The Radi-Plane:

The corner at the top left is the one cut by the Radi-Plane.

Since acquiring a bunch of hollow and round planes they have been getting used for corner smoothing:

The corner on the left is from a #5 and the one on the right is a #2. The hollow & round planes can make a larger corner than the Radi-Plane.

Frederick Skelly
08-09-2015, 7:33 PM
Hi Jim,
Thanks for doing this.
As you said, most of us can camfer with a block plane. But your hands-on experience taught you to prefer (or at least "appreciate") using the camfer plane. How come? Do you find it just cuts better or more consistently than using a block plane? What is it about the camfer plane you like better? I'm trying to decide if I'd like to make one or buy one.

Thanks much,
Fred

Jim Koepke
08-09-2015, 7:44 PM
Hi Jim,
Thanks for doing this.
As you said, most of us can camfer with a block plane. But your hands-on experience taught you to prefer (or at least "appreciate") using the camfer plane. How come? Do you find it just cuts better or more consistently than using a block plane? What is it about the camfer plane you like better? I'm trying to decide if I'd like to make one or buy one.

Thanks much,
Fred

Your are welcome Fred.

The chamfer plane allows the work to be done without the care required when using a block or bench plane. If just a relieved corner is desired, then most likely the closest plane at hand will do the job be it a block plane or a jointer. It is also convenient when a lot of pieces are wanted with the same edge to match.

Not sure if it is still the case, but when my Radi-Plane was purchased there were also straight blades available for chamfering corners. Check the auction site, there are bound to be a few cheap ones out there.

Oops! Forget about that. A quick look shows most people think they are collector items and asking more than what one would cost new.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
08-09-2015, 8:09 PM
Thanks Jim. That all makes sense!
Fred

bridger berdel
08-09-2015, 10:53 PM
I have a small corner round over "plane" I made that has the blade set up as a scraper. It works well, if slowly, on hard and wild grained woods.

Gene Davis
08-09-2015, 11:16 PM
I have used a SlickPlane for years, and it is outfitted with the roundover blades. SlickPlane and RadiPlane are identical tools. I recently bought another one on eBay, a Radi barely used, that has the straight chamfer blades. I appreciate the speed and consistency of results these planes give.

I am not skilled enough with my other planes to get the precision I get with these little two-bladed tools.

Brian Holcombe
08-09-2015, 11:37 PM
I have a Kanna setup for chamfering with adjustable sides. Nice thing is that it has a chip breaker...so the occasional grain reversal is not disasterous.

Kees Heiden
08-10-2015, 2:50 AM
My first chamfer plane. This was a cheap small blockplane with some guide rails added to the bottom.

It had severe problems creating tearout when the wood was only slightly going the wrong way. So I tried to skew the blade which helped a little.

And now I have one of these old English ones from Moseley and Sons, London, which really works a lot better.

John Kananis
08-10-2015, 5:24 PM
Shop made scratch stock made with an old scraper works well if you're on a budget.

Brian Holcombe
08-10-2015, 5:27 PM
I saw this....looks awesome for putting a roundover on edges

http://www2.odn.ne.jp/mandaraya/bouzu3-3.jpg