PDA

View Full Version : Long Tall Sally

David DeCristoforo
08-09-2015, 2:13 PM
This is very similar in construction my last one. But, playing around with the design, I started stretching the whole thing to make a taller, more slender form.

The lid is, again, threaded. This is the best mating set of threads I have managed to date. It's funny how such a simple thing can provide so much enjoyment. I have screwed the lid on and off a dozen times or more just to revel in how nicely the threads mesh.

Other than the elongation, the construction and detailing are basically the same. I did make a few small changes in an attempt to refine the "flow", especially between the body and the lid as suggested by Keith Burns. The body and embellishments are from a found burl and the black pieces are ebony. About 5" in diameter X 16" tall.

Couple of things learned: With these vessels that have a collar (more or less a necessity in order to have wood dense enough to take a good thread) the opening is larger that "usual". It's much easier to hog the guts out of a lump of wood through a two inch hole than through one that's only three quarters of an inch! Also, these pieces tend to be a "three steps forward and two steps" back process. With each element, there may be unfortunate events that necessitate reworking in some manner. An unexpected void in the little bead or weak grain in the thin part of a stem and you're back to square one. Actually, you may end up behind square one because now you have to find another piece of wood to replace the one that just got ruined, that perfect little piece that had just the right markings on it, a figure in the bead that perfectly matched the figure in the main form, a delightfully subtile finesse that is now lost to a momentary lapse of attention or a less than perfect presentation of the cutting edge. The fact that the pedestals and finials are constructed of several discrete elements helps because a mishap does not mean trashing the whole thing. But time gets eaten up by these little "annoyances" and there is the ever present knowledge that compromises, however small, have been made.

Acknowledgment and Disclaimer:

I in no way take any credit for the concept this piece is based on and fully acknowledge the influence of the many woodturning artists who have previously traveled this path, including but not limited to Ms Drozda, Messrs Burns, Costelle, Lucas, Syvertsen, Addy, Keeton and others too numerous to mention. Furthermore, there is no intended suggestion in this statement that my work would be placed on the same table as the work of any of the afore mentioned.

So… have at it...

David Walser
08-09-2015, 3:17 PM
Stunning! Simply stunning. The size of the vessel contrasts with the thinness of the pedestal, producing a lot of energy from the overall form. If I owned it, I'd be sure to place it in a glass case. Otherwise I'd be afraid a current of air from the A/C or a ceiling fan would cause the thin stem to snap. As it is, I have a hard time wresting my eyes away from the picture. Well done.

Eric Gourieux
08-09-2015, 5:00 PM
David,

Whenever I see that you have posted one of your pieces, my heart skips a beat in anticipation of something beautiful. Well, you didn't disappoint! Your attention to detail and superb skills are obvious. The flow from pedestal to HF and from HF to finial are spot-on. I love the embellishment on the base and on the lower portion of the finial. The inserted elements that match the HF are one of your well deserved trademarks, and you incorporate them flawlessly.

I agree with your conclusions about using so many different elements. They can often (but not always) be replaced in the event of a mishap. They also add an additional challenge in keeping the flow of the entire piece intact, and you have mastered the process.

To my eye, the finial is slightly too heavy for the pedestal making it appear top-heavy. This a minor criticism of a beautifully constructed symphony.

Questions: You refer to a "collar" for the threads. Are you referring to an insert in the HF or finial - or both? I can see the insert in the finial. What did you use for the insert/threads and why not use the blackwood?

Allan Ferguson
08-09-2015, 5:12 PM
Always a pleasure to see your work. Allan

David DeCristoforo
08-09-2015, 5:24 PM
David,

Whenever I see that you have posted one of your pieces, my heart skips a beat in anticipation of something beautiful. Well, you didn't disappoint! Your attention to detail and superb skills are obvious. The flow from pedestal to HF and from HF to finial are spot-on. I love the embellishment on the base and on the lower portion of the finial. The inserted elements that match the HF are one of your well deserved trademarks, and you incorporate them flawlessly.

I agree with your conclusions about using so many different elements. They can often (but not always) be replaced in the event of a mishap. They also add an additional challenge in keeping the flow of the entire piece intact, and you have mastered the process.

To my eye, the finial is slightly too heavy for the pedestal making it appear top-heavy. This a minor criticism of a beautifully constructed symphony.

Questions: You refer to a "collar" for the threads. Are you referring to an insert in the HF or finial - or both? I can see the insert in the finial. What did you use for the insert/threads and why not use the blackwood?

There was a specific intent in the sizing of the finial elements. The thinking was this: the lid is threaded but there is no specific identifiable spot that says “grip me here”. For that reason, the entire lower part of the finial was made a bit “beefier” than it might otherwise have been. The additional “weight” is obvious and might, for some, be a “deal killer”.

As to the collar, it is a rosewood burl insert in the top of the HF. The threads on the lid are also rosewood burl. Why? Well, for one thing it takes threads beautifully and it also adds another color element when the lid is removed but that does not distract from the "black and blond" color scheme.

Eric Gourieux
08-09-2015, 6:30 PM
There was a specific intent in the sizing of the finial elements. The thinking was this: the lid is threaded but there is no specific identifiable spot that says “grip me here”. For that reason, the entire lower part of the finial was made a bit “beefier” than it might otherwise have been. The additional “weight” is obvious and might, for some, be a “deal killer”.

As to the collar, it is a rosewood burl insert in the top of the HF. The threads on the lid are also rosewood burl. Why? Well, for one thing it takes threads beautifully and it also adds another color element when the lid is removed but that does not distract from the "black and blond" color scheme.

That makes sense. Since I haven't tried threading (yet), I didn't think about the need for a beefier finial.
Deal killer? Absolutely not.
Thanks for sharing your talents with us. For me, your pieces are an inspiration.

Reed Gray
08-09-2015, 7:39 PM
It don't look like no Mustang to me.... Sorry, couldn't resist. I did some threaded boxes up here in Oregon, and then went down there to the UC Davis Whole Earth show. Well, the humidity difference was enough that I could still get the lids off of them, but it did the tight/loose/tight/loose for every turn. Curious thing was that after getting back to Oregon and giving them time to adjust, they never went back to where they were.... I don't do threaded over about 1 1/4 any more. Nice piece. I just can't see the shapes correctly in my head to get some thing like that to come out in what I am turning. Bowls yes...

robo hippy

mike pockoski
08-10-2015, 9:38 AM
beautiful. thanks for sharing...give us rookies something to shoot for!

Steve Huffman
08-10-2015, 9:53 AM
David, first off it is a breath taker! If those threads are what you say, I'm bowing down. I am in no way shape or form qualified to offer criticism but will offer what I would have change facing the choice. When I think to unscrew the lid, I would want to grab at the lowest section, so I would have made the lighter figure a bit heavier and then proceeded to make the black top finial with a thinner/slender shape. Again, I am just thinking out loud and sharing a thought. Excellent work and stunning show of workmanship!!

Sid Matheny
08-10-2015, 11:36 AM
Very, very nice job DD.

Alan Gan
08-10-2015, 11:07 PM
That is some very nice work, the grain pattern is fantastic.