PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw pricing

Bill Richardson
08-09-2015, 11:05 AM
I need a new bandsaw. Considering the requirements I have the 2 best choices are the Laguna LT18 and the MM16. The best price I've found for the Laguna is just under $2200 shipped, but I cannot find pricing for the MM16. What is the going street price for the MM16?

Susumu Mori
08-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Sorry, not the two you are interested in but I got a FB510 (20-inch from Felder) with less than $3,000 while the list price was somewhere around $3,300. They carry promotions every now and then. I don't think there are significant differences both in price and quality among those European machines. They all get great reviews. I think factors like how far away you are from their headquarter/distribution sites or if you have a plan to purchase other machines together would be major factors. I was lucky enough to get it delivered all the way to my walk-out basement by Felder people.

Alan Hick
08-09-2015, 12:52 PM
Select Machinery lists:

SCM S400P (MM16) 16" 1 ph Bandsaw - Our best-selling Bandsaw.
S400P (MM16) List $3,395. Call for more info and best pricing 800-789-2323

Reardon’s lists the same saw at: $3273.00

So, around $3300 is probably the going "street price". But, if you call MM right after one of the big woodworking shows, or can attend the show yourself, it's very likely you'll be able to get that saw for significantly less.

Since you're still in the market, have you considered Agazzani and or Felder? Or if you'd like a really nice, Made In America band saw, Northfield.

Bill Richardson
08-09-2015, 1:24 PM
Select Machinery lists:

SCM S400P (MM16) 16" 1 ph Bandsaw - Our best-selling Bandsaw.
S400P (MM16) List $3,395. Call for more info and best pricing 800-789-2323

Reardon’s lists the same saw at: $3273.00

So, around $3300 is probably the going "street price". But, if you call MM right after one of the big woodworking shows, or can attend the show yourself, it's very likely you'll be able to get that saw for significantly less.

Since you're still in the market, have you considered Agazzani and or Felder? Or if you'd like a really nice, Made In America band saw, Northfield.

I'll give them a call tomorrow. Since AWFS just concluded, maybe they will have some deals.

Bill ThompsonNM
08-09-2015, 2:27 PM
I need a new bandsaw. Considering the requirements I have the 2 best choices are the Laguna LT18 and the MM16. The best price I've found for the Laguna is just under $2200 shipped, but I cannot find pricing for the MM16. What is the going street price for the MM16?
That Laguna price is for an LT18-3000, an Asian version of the LT18
The italian LT18 or LT18HD will be comparable to the other Itian Bandsaws.: $3-4000 range

Erik Loza
08-09-2015, 2:57 PM
I'll give them a call tomorrow. Since AWFS just concluded, maybe they will have some deals.

Bill, please check your PM box.

Guys, I will surely catch some heat from Corporate for saying this but am going, anyhow: With machinery purchases like this, buy from "internet clearing houses" and Ebay at your own risk. There are only two people in the US you should consider buying a Minimax bandsaw from: Myself or my colleague, Sam Blasco. We are both approved SCM Group Business Partners and members of the original Minimax USA team from Austin. If you call the Minimax toll free number or SCM Group headquarters in Atlanta and ask for a sales rep, it will be either Sam or myself who takes your call.

For a many years, Minimax machinery was sold exclusively through "Minimax USA" (of which Sam and myself were product reps). A couple of years back, Italy changed some of their policies regarding marketing here in the US and now, Minimax are being sold "on the internet" and even Ebay by a few dealers. Personally, I think this is bad move for the brand (and have been pretty vocal with Italy about that point) but it is what it is for the time being. I won't mention any names but since this policy got enacted, I have personally either seen or spoken to customers who have experienced some of the following things...

-Site says "X-many in stock", when there aren't. I have realtime access to SCM's inventory. There is no way any website can interface with that data.
-Data posted on this or that site gives wrong specs or info. Seller has no clue as to what actually comes on or with machine.
-"Free shipping", even though that is impossible.
-"Return if you are unsatisfied". Again, that is impossible. This is industrial machinery, not shoes from zappos.
-Machine shows up with damage or missing parts. Dealer has no clue what parts you need and rather than having a dedicated rep who knows the machine like the back of their hand (such as Sam or myself) working for you, customer gets told "Just call Atlanta".

Don't get me wrong: If a customer needs a widebelt, big edgebander, or CNC, you definitely need to buy that from a dealer. I can't sell you one of those. But there's the issue: Stuff gets put on Ebay and "clearing house"-type sites so sellers don't have to talk to to you. And why wouldn't a seller want to talk to you after you give them your money? Could it be because they don't care whether or not you're satisifed with your investment, that you made the right choice? Again, this is industrial machinery that will need support and questions answered, not a pair of jeans from Amazon.

Since someone mentioned AWFS, I worked the booth for Minimax this year. There were many dealers there, including ones mentioned above. Guess how many times I saw one demo-ing an MM16? ZERO, not once. They were all hanging around the CNC departments, hunting for elephants. Could care less about a bandsaw or combo customer. I hope where I am going makes sense here.

I will speak for Sam (who I have worked with for almost 10 years): Our #1 priority is to get guys into the right machine at a fair price. And "Buy it now" doesn't make that happen. I ask questions because I want to make sure it's the right fit for you, make sure you have the least amount of headaches for delivery, that if there is a delivery issue, I get you taken care of with as little hassle as possible. Also, there is no way any dealer will be able to offer a better price on any Minimax machine that we can. I'll get off the soapbox now but hope this all makes sense. Please think about who you want to buy from.

Erik

Davis Young
08-09-2015, 7:21 PM
Agazzani was sold to a German firm and production is being moved out of Italy. To my knowledge, domestic stock is depleted with new manufacturing not ramped up yet.

Allan Speers
08-09-2015, 10:04 PM
Bill, in your price range, if buying new, I think you should also at least consider the Grizzly G036X. It's sort of the poor man's MM16. A LOT of saw for the money, and I've never seen a bad review on it.

Bill Adamsen
08-10-2015, 7:32 AM
When I saw the original post all I could think was .. "why not just call Erik?" Whenever a post comes up about a bandsaw, Erik posts sage wisdom on everything from transport logistics to motor sizing and blade selection. It is in-depth knowledge gleaned from a career of working with these tools. The importance of quality and sincere pre and post sales support cannot be overemphasized. Erik is always here providing his input ... that's a huge consideration when buying this type of equipment. Thanks Erik!

Separately, the MM16 looks like a fabulous piece of equipment. I have a larger Centauro (27") now, but the MM16 could do basically the same function in a much smaller footprint and less imposing size. One of these days.

Erik Loza
08-11-2015, 2:02 PM
Thanks, Bill. I appreciate that. This is one of the reasons why I feel buying machinery of this level "anonymously" (i.e, just via some internet site, without ever talking to a product rep) is a bad plan. And I would say this about any type of machinery, from any manufacturer, at this level. In doing this for so many years, I can't think a case where a customer did not have questions about their decision. In fact, probably 50% of my work day is answering calls and emails from owners. For example, I cannot tell you the number of times a prospective owner had some "plan" in their head about how it would all be and by the time we got off the phone, ended up with a different, but better, plan. Sometimes, that means more machine. Often times, less machine. I've had as many guys thank me for letting them know that they did not need to get the model that "the internet" told they needed as guys thank me for getting them a better deal than those warehouse sites could.

And that's the whole point. As the customer, you give away all your advantage by selecting "Buy it now". Only want to do this once, right? Maybe you got too small a machine for what you needed? Maybe there was a different machine that would have done the same thing, so you over-bought? Maybe there were some units in the warehouse that were optioned a bit differently, that could have gotten you more for your dollar? For better for for worse, once you commit to that route, you are stuck with it. Anyhow, talk to a product rep like me or Sam. It's our job to steer folks in the right direction. Cheers,

Erik