PDA

View Full Version : Digital photo and movie camera

Dave Lehnert
08-08-2015, 7:07 PM
I need a new digital camera for photos and also like to have a new video camera.
I now have a Cannon point and shoot. Problem is it most always says "Battery Low" and shut down. Fresh batteries don't help. Know problem with this model and wayyyyyyyyyyy out of warranty.
I also own a Sony DV movie camera. Works great but transferring movies is a Pain. Have to transfer to DVD first before transferring to computer to edit. can only transfer to DVD recorder because of the hook up used. Cant use USB to transfer. The camera is maybe 8 years old.

My question, Should I be looking for separate cameras or should I look into a digital point and shoot that also records videos? Not sure how good they are at doing both. Also wireless transfer would be a huge plus.
Any recommendations, Don't want to bust the bank $$$ but also want something good.
This is for very casual use. Just family stuff to post on-line and maybe a you tube video etc.

EDIT- I was looking at a Canon camera http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_sx280_hs Read the reviews, Looks like my battery issue may be a Canon issue and not just my old camera.

Lee Schierer
08-08-2015, 8:33 PM
I have a Canon T2i that take great photos and also takes nice video. Battery life is very good and the batteries are rechargeable.

roger wiegand
08-08-2015, 10:11 PM
I have a Nikon D7000 that takes great photos and HD video. With an external stereo microphone the sound is excellent as well. One battery gives me a thousand pictures or hours of video. I see no reason to have separate video and still cameras at this point.

Steve Kinnaird
08-08-2015, 10:18 PM
Have you considered the GoPro camera?
I just ordered the GoPro Hero 3+ Silver.
I think it will do everything I need it to do.

Tom Stenzel
08-08-2015, 11:03 PM
Could you come up with some kind of price guideline?

My wife has a Nikon D3300 she really likes but it cost more than the Canon point and shoot you posted. Not familiar with Roger's D7000 (I'm not a photographer since I sold my Pentax K-1000) but I'm sure it's one sweet camera. It too has a 'are you sitting down' price tag.

If you get one of the Nikon cameras it will work for both still and video. Just make sure you have one of the high speed SD cards. And getting one of those isn't a big deal anymore either.

-Tom

John McClanahan
08-08-2015, 11:20 PM
I have a Canon pocket camera that also shoots video. It had many bad reviews due to short battery life. I use Energizer Lithium batteries in it. It gets good battery life with the lithium batteries, and in the long run they aren't really any more expensive than alkaline with their shorter life.

John

Dave Lehnert
08-09-2015, 1:09 AM
Could you come up with some kind of price guideline?

I was thinking around the $250 price range but open to all recommendations till I figure out what I need.

roger wiegand
08-09-2015, 9:39 AM
I like having a dedicated camera (and a high end DSLR is definitely overkill for what you're looking for), but have you considered an upgraded phone as an alternative? Picture and video quality in the newest Android and iPhones is actually pretty decent, with the advantage that they are very small and light and you always have it with you. For longer video recordings you definitely want something with big storage capacity.

Gerry Grzadzinski
08-09-2015, 9:52 AM
Take a serious look at the Panasonic ZS40, although it's a bit more than you wanted to spend.
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-ZS40S-Digital-Camera-3-0-Inch/dp/B00IOTTLZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439128144&sr=8-1&keywords=zs40

I've had a previous version for a few years, and have been extremely happy with it. It's really nice that it fits in your pocket, and can still shoot very good HD video.

Here's a review from an excellent camera review site.
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_TZ60_ZS40/

Steve Kinnaird
08-09-2015, 12:57 PM
If the GoPro 3+ Silver will work for you, check the GoPro store on E-Bay. I got mine for $179 with free shipping.

Shawn Pixley
08-09-2015, 1:18 PM
I have a point and shoot Nikon Coolpix that shoots both still and video. LOML also has a Nikon D90 DSLR which will shoot publishable quality video as well as the stills. Each can transfer via a Cable (USB, doubles for charging and not proprietary) or via SD card. I find that for good photos or video, there is still nothing better than lens and sensor size. I like the convenience of the pocket sized point and shoot and it is with me a lot. But for higher quality, the DSLR is the go to device. It is so much more versatile.

Options can go up from there.

Dave Lehnert
08-10-2015, 10:53 PM
Take a serious look at the Panasonic ZS40, although it's a bit more than you wanted to spend.
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-ZS40S-Digital-Camera-3-0-Inch/dp/B00IOTTLZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439128144&sr=8-1&keywords=zs40

I've had a previous version for a few years, and have been extremely happy with it. It's really nice that it fits in your pocket, and can still shoot very good HD video.

Here's a review from an excellent camera review site.
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_TZ60_ZS40/

Thanks for the recommendation. Ill have a look.
I was not thinking when I made my $250 price point. That was the figure I gave myself to buy a photo camera thinking I would also be buying a video camera.

Dave Lehnert
08-10-2015, 10:58 PM
I like having a dedicated camera (and a high end DSLR is definitely overkill for what you're looking for), but have you considered an upgraded phone as an alternative? Picture and video quality in the newest Android and iPhones is actually pretty decent, with the advantage that they are very small and light and you always have it with you. For longer video recordings you definitely want something with big storage capacity.

I thought of a phone but I use a prepaid model and it is imposable to transfer photos off of it via a cable. Guess they want you to burn off minutes transferring them wireless.

Dave Lehnert
08-10-2015, 11:00 PM
If the GoPro 3+ Silver will work for you, check the GoPro store on E-Bay. I got mine for $179 with free shipping.

I will check out the GoPro. I was under the impression they were a camera to mount on something for sports etc........... They work well for a regular point and shoot?

Steve Kinnaird
08-10-2015, 11:37 PM
I will check out the GoPro. I was under the impression they were a camera to mount on something for sports etc........... They work well for a regular point and shoot?

I thought they did, but I just read how they can be set to shoot at intervals, but didn't say anything about Point-n-Shoot.
Mine arrives tomorrow, I guess I will find out :)
Primarily want it for YouTube Videos, so I am sure I will be happy with it regardless.

Jim Becker
08-11-2015, 5:20 PM
The higher end P&S as well as the "near DSLR" fixed lens cameras all support very good video capabilities while also offering excellent still photo shooting. It's unfortunately true that what you're willing to invest will affect your total capability. I used to consider having a separate, dedicated video camera the best for that kind of thing, but in recent years, unless you're doing high-end video, that's less likely the case...technology has come a long way and even the modest cameras do a great job.

Interestingly, my Nikon D750 is touted for it's HD video capability in addition to it's extraordinary low light performance with fast lenses...but that all comes at a cost.

Steve Kinnaird
08-11-2015, 10:12 PM
I thought they did, but I just read how they can be set to shoot at intervals, but didn't say anything about Point-n-Shoot.
Mine arrives tomorrow, I guess I will find out :)
Primarily want it for YouTube Videos, so I am sure I will be happy with it regardless.

My GoPro Hero 3+ Silver arrived today.
I have been reading through the manual and YES it will do single shot point & shoot at 10 MP. The drawback is that you can't see what you are shooting unless you also purchase the $79.99 LCD Touch BacPac. That allows you to see what you are aiming at and also will do play back of videos with sound or just scroll through the single frame pics.

Tom M King
08-11-2015, 10:26 PM
For a little point and shoot, I have a Casio FH100. It's been discontinued for several years, but they still come up on ebay. For several years after it was discontinued, they were going for up to $450 because it took ideal high speed videos for capturing golf swings in slow motion. Now they've come out with other cameras that will do the same thing cheaply. A lot of the pictures on my website were taken with it. It's an amazing little camera. They overcame shutter lag with software that starts buffering when you half depress the shutter release, and that's how they ended up also with a good slow motion high speed feature.

We just bought a Nikon 5300 to take puppy pictures with to replace an old D50. It takes amazing stills, and supposedly broadcast quality HD video, but I've been too busy to try that out. It's a couple of generations old now, so available at a good price.

Jim Becker
08-14-2015, 8:06 PM
Tom, D5300 is only one generation back from the D5500 which came out not very long ago. D5300 a very good camera body!