PDA

View Full Version : Late-model Toyota Highlander: Anybody have detailed knowledge?

Kent A Bathurst
08-08-2015, 3:55 PM
Big leader in the competition for "Next, and Last, Vehicle Purchase".

Ditch the Mini Cooper S Convertible [ :eek: HER decision, not mine], ditch the Ram 1500, rehab the E39 528i - the last good looking 5x model, with the indestructible 6 and the M suspension.

The Highlander's reliability and resale are off-the-charts, so you gotta go to older and big miles on a used model to get the price needle to move much, so we'll go new. It's like buying an LN plane, right? The used sell for so much, I just send money to the mother ship instead.

It will be the bigger engine [V6], front wheel drive only [not AWD].

Anybody with hands-on knowledge to comment on this critter?

TIA

Kent

Mac McQuinn
08-08-2015, 4:09 PM
While I can't remark on the 14's and up, our 2010 H/L w/ AWD, V6 which is the previous generation, has been very reliable and currently has 130K. Original brakes went till 90K otherwise just basic maintenance and tires, "0" oil usage presently, Mobil 1 since 10K. Gas mileage averages (22) all around. The 3.5 V6 pulls very well on on-ramps and passing. Very good in the snow, rides good, very good trip vehicle. Cosmetically it's held up well, just grit pocked a bit in the front. Interior still looks fresh. Resale indicates it's still worth around 15K. Basically it's been a appliance, even has the original battery in it.
Good luck,
Mac

Bruce Page
08-08-2015, 4:11 PM
I knew a guy that had a step-son who bought one on the cheap at auction for his wife's grandmother.
Or was it a Kia? :confused:

Kent A Bathurst
08-08-2015, 4:22 PM
I knew a guy that had a step-son who bought one on the cheap at auction for his wife's grandmother.
Or was it a Kia? :confused:

Bruce - your insight is invaluable, as always.

ABQ, eh? You knew Walter White, dint ya? :p

Kent A Bathurst
08-08-2015, 4:26 PM
Mac - you confirmed what I was thinking. The "appliance" bit says it all. Reliable, doesn't burn oil, needs no maint beyond the basics [90k on the brakes is pretty damn good, in my book]. No star trek shields in the front to guard against road grit - I can live with that.

I'm past the stage where I need the M version of the BMW X5. 15 years ago, that would been the deal.

Thanks for you comments.

Kent

Bruce Page
08-08-2015, 5:13 PM
Kent, Walter & I are BFF. He doesn't live far from me.

Art Mann
08-08-2015, 5:15 PM
The only drawback I can see is its lack of towing ability. I tow stuff a lot. If you don't need that, the Highlander would be hard to beat.

Kent A Bathurst
08-08-2015, 5:20 PM
The only drawback I can see is its lack of towing ability. I tow stuff a lot. If you don't need that, the Highlander would be hard to beat.

Nah - - never towed a single damn thing. I got no clue how to back up with a trailer. I'd have to go to Edgerton's place and learn while backing into his garage - he replaces garage doors on a regular basis, so he has a volume discount.

Kent A Bathurst
08-08-2015, 5:20 PM
....Walter & I are BFF.

One of the very best closing sequences I have ever seen......"Guess I got what I deserve"...."Just one thing before I go"......basically brought me out of my chair cheering. A Standing O.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C53QAuOoSgc

Mac McQuinn
08-08-2015, 10:05 PM

My H/L has the factory tow package which I believe is set up for 3500lbs. I've never used it although the factory item is
well done and doesn't look like a afterthought. I'm not 100% sure although seems like I read somewhere the tow package is now standard on new H/L's.
Mac

Kent A Bathurst
08-08-2015, 11:32 PM
Oil and tranny fluid coolers standard equip. I think those are the key items, no? - not sure, no expert. Hitch/receiver is an option. Specs say 5,000# towing capacity. [2015]

Mac McQuinn
08-08-2015, 11:51 PM
Oil and tranny fluid coolers standard equip. I think those are the key items, no? - not sure, no expert. Hitch/receiver is an option. Specs say 5,000# towing capacity. [2015]

I pulled the window sticker for my 2010 H/L and it states the following;

"TO" V6 Towing Prep Package
Includes 5000-lb Towing Capacity
HD Radiator w/ Eng. Oil Cooler, 240 watt Fan Coupling, Transmission Oil Cooler with Water Cooler, 150amp Alternator & Prewired Harness.

"DH" Tow Hitch w/ Wiring Harness

Mac

Malcolm Schweizer
08-09-2015, 1:02 AM
I'd go with the Land Cruiser... Then you don't need to worry about towing a boat around.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LC5ld79joIA

William Payer
08-09-2015, 8:05 AM

Having Toyotas for the past 25 years, beware of their stated towing capacities, especially for v6 powered vehicles. ( Their full sized trucks are rated accurately, by the way).

I have an old t100 which was rated for 5000 lbs towing. I was towing a 3500 boat and trailer and I felt it was dangerously underpowered. Accelerating down expressway ramps and safely merging while towing was often a "white knuckle experience". I currently have a 4runner with a 4liter v6(only engine available on it) and, while I have not towed, I suspect it too will be under powered for anything over 3000 lbs. The engineers at Toyota for some reason, must feel that towing is done on flat roads in very light traffic.

Other than that, Toyota's are like appliances. They require little maintenance and few repairs.

Kent A Bathurst
08-09-2015, 4:35 PM
William -

Yeah -- I remember that one of the flaws in the first-gen Tundra was that the Japanese thought "half ton" actually meant 1,000#, as opposed to the USA consumer's interpretation of "filled to the gunnels and beyond with anything you can stuff in there".

They were amazed and dismayed that the "half ton" was not a decimal-precision thing, even though that is the safety limit.

Larry Edgerton
08-10-2015, 7:10 AM
Kent there are quite a few Highlanders up here because of the butt deep snow, and everyone I know with one loves them with the exception of the mileage. Seems around 20 is realistic. Now if they would just change out those ugly lights.......

Kent A Bathurst
08-10-2015, 8:27 AM
THnx, Larry.

Not worried about snow wherever I will be living in this life -- or the next.

Mileage is low, a bit, but we need something that will haul stuff in place of the 1998 Ram, so we will be gaining ground there. Plus, my 2000 528 gets ~30 at 80mph, A/C on stun, so that's good for long trips. Which slays me - all these ads and neighbors talking about new cars that get 28 or 31 or whatever, and I'm just "so?".

Headlights? I don't have to look at them from my seat, do I?

Jeff Monson
08-10-2015, 10:54 AM
Kent, My wife has a 2011 highlander. While hers is AWD we have had very little problems with it. We got it new, it has around 90k on it right now. I did replace a rear wheel bearing as it was loud (around 80K). Other than that it has been a very good car. I also have an Import repair shop here in town, Toyota as a whole is a good vehicle IMO. I know we did a water pump on a newer 2010 on up highlander and it was a big bill. But that is the only major thing I have seen with them.

Kent A Bathurst
08-10-2015, 11:14 AM
Jeff - make sure I am clear on this:

You live in ND - near the arctic circle, and far from "civilization" as we know it down here ;). You own an import repair shop. Your wife drives a Highlander.

I got that correct?

Jeff Monson
08-10-2015, 12:44 PM
Jeff - make sure I am clear on this:

You live in ND - near the arctic circle, and far from "civilization" as we know it down here ;). You own an import repair shop. Your wife drives a Highlander.

I got that correct?

Haha, yes and drumroll please.......we have running water. We still use an outhouse, and a generator (when we have gasoline available). I hear next year we may be getting a dentist!! I'm gonna start brushing my teeth after the new year!

Jim Becker
08-11-2015, 5:22 PM
My previous ride was a 2006 Highlander Hybrid Limited. It was an excellent vehicle...zero complaints from me in anyway. The only reason I didn't buy another one was my needs changed such that a heavier, more capable vehicle was the right choice.

Kent A Bathurst
08-11-2015, 7:34 PM
2015 Highlander XLE on its way
Silver/Gray
V6 FWD

Thanks for all the input.

Now then - Anybody want a 2005 Mini Cooper S Convertible ?
green/green/tan leather
pristine
<40,000 miles
fully loaded w/options
plus seriously upgraded wheels
Gotta pay for the Highlander somehow, no? :p :p

THIS IS HUMOROUS - NOT AN OFFER TO SELL - that would violate TOS................just warming up my ad-writing karma............

Larry Edgerton
08-12-2015, 6:48 PM
Well, at least now if you get butt deep snow in Georgia you can be the cool kid on the block. And.... being as you used to live in the bad part of Michigan, you may actually remember how to drive in it.

I lived in Texas for a spell, and the funniest thing I ever saw was Texans on snow!

Larry