PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Question on Propane Stove

Randy Gazda
08-08-2015, 11:46 AM
I have a Williams propane stove with a Skytech remote thermostat. I know this isn't a workshop question but there are a lot of smart people on this site, so I thought I would take a shot. The wires in my hand come out of the back of the stove, the two red going to the floor run the transmitter to the remote thermostat.

One of the black wires has no connector on the end. I am wondering:
A. Does it need connected?
B. Is so which terminal?319196

Julie Moriarty
08-08-2015, 12:32 PM
What does the tag on the wire say?

Is there any screw or lug that looks like it was designed to take a ground wire?

Randy Gazda
08-08-2015, 1:01 PM
Julie, thanks for the response. it is hard to read the middle part of the tag, the first part is THER, then a M I think, and the last part is wire. There seems to be two options on is it appears it may have been sandwiched into the two connectors on the left. The other option is the right lug which has nothing on it.

Julie Moriarty
08-09-2015, 8:41 AM
In the picture I see what looks like "IRE" on the tag. Take that with your "THER" and possible "M" and my brain goes to "THERM WIRE". The size of the print on the tag looks like it doesn't allow "THERMOSTAT WIRE" to fit. That identification would only make sense if the stove was packed with a thermostat and wire and whatever parts needed and the person opening the box had to put all the parts together.

The end of the "IRE" tagged wire looks like it was either under a lug or in a wire nut. Actually, it looks like both. When you untwist a wire-nutted group the wires looked gnarled like that. And when you remove a wire from a screw-lug, the center is smashed.

That wire in your hand has two conductors, one black, the other red, like what you'd see in a car or boat. That makes me think the black is a common, or ground wire. I'd be looking for anything on bare metal that looks like it once had a wire connected to it.

Is there any way you can take more pictures of, in and around the electrical compartment and post them?

Jay Jolliffe
08-09-2015, 11:47 AM
Did you try looking on line with the model # to see if you can find a diagram?

Lee Schierer
08-09-2015, 12:35 PM
I would suggest that you locate a wiring diagram. Since you mentioned that there is a remote thermostat, that wire in question may have been for the internal thermostat and is no longer needed. The question is does the stove work and does the remote control work.