PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder Box....

Michael Stafford
08-21-2005, 8:39 AM
Jim Ketron gave me a large piece of box elder loaded with curl that I had asked for to turn end grain fashion to create a large vase. The piece he gave me was a little larger than I had planned on so I cut a piece off the smaller end.

Then I rough turned it green, soaked it in alcohol and finish turned it. It finished up at 3 3/4" in diameter and a little more than 4" tall to the tip of the handle. The handle is probably a little large and I may remake it and the lid which are from walnut. Finished wall thickness is a little over an 1/8" and the whole thing is just as light as a feather.

Had a few problems with tear out on the curly parts inside but managed to get it pretty smooth with a little work....

Thanks, Jimbo. I appreciate the beautiful wood.... ;) :D

Shelley Bolster
08-21-2005, 9:00 AM
Once again Mr. Stafford, you have created another winner. Man, you gotta just love the curl in that box elder. I know the finish needs to be touched to appreciate it, but nonetheless, it looks wonderful in the pics. You might be right though, the handle seems be a tad too large or perhaps it just appears that way due to the darker color of the walnut? :rolleyes: Really pretty peice Mike.

Jim Ketron
08-21-2005, 12:41 PM
Well done my friend well done!:D
Is that your special finish on it, the curl pops very nice?
Cant wait to see what you do with the rest of the BE!

Dennis Peacock
08-21-2005, 2:34 PM
Very Nice....As usual.... :rolleyes: ;) :D

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-21-2005, 3:37 PM
VERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY Pretty, Mike!

Bruce

Ernie Nyvall
08-21-2005, 6:48 PM
You really brought it out Mike. Very nice indeed.

Ernie

Earl Eyre
08-22-2005, 12:38 AM
Great job and beautiful finish. You took your time finishing it and it shows.
Earl

Keith Burns
08-22-2005, 8:06 AM
Very Nice !! Love the details on the lid.

Mark Cothren
08-22-2005, 9:19 AM
Hey Mike, that one just blows me away... what a beautiful piece of wood, and a beautiful finished product you made it into.

Thanks for the picture!

Kurt Aebi
08-22-2005, 9:29 AM
Well Done! Well Done!

Super looking - you may be right about the handle, but then again - maybe that will be a strikingly different touch.............hmmmmmmmmmm! I kinda like it as big as it is - Yes, I think I do!

Great looking set!

Joe Tonich
08-22-2005, 10:09 AM
Wow, BM, that IS pretty!! :D

BTW, how long does your finish take to cure completely? I think I made it right, but it still smells even tho I finished the box we started right after I got home from Dicks house.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-22-2005, 10:12 AM
Beautiful Mike! Gorgeous wood and finished product!

John Hart
08-23-2005, 7:37 AM
Oh...I think it's great Mike! Personally, I like the handle the way it is. It gives it a sort of friendly character that I can't quite describe. That's a Happy bowl !!:)