PDA

View Full Version : Lasering at Sturgis

Bob Davis - Sturgis SD
08-07-2015, 9:37 PM
The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally concludes this weekend in my hometown. This report may be of limited interest to many but I thought some folks might be interested. My claim to fame, since I own a photography gallery downtown, is to take the daily Group Picture like this one:

This year I bought a laser machine to make engraved mats for the event, like this one:

The machine arrived in early May. We spent a month playing with the laser. I wish I had bought the laser last fall. I wish I had bought two, or three or even four machines a year ago, I could have paid for them all this summer. Anyway, the laser cut mats were a big hit. I bought up every piece of this mat color combination I could find in the USA and we burned through it all.

The barnwood signs were also a big hit. My supply lasted about half a day. Then I tried to just keep some sample signs to take orders from, but my employees keep selling the samples. Plywood signs selling very well also and since I purchased 100 sheets of plywood a couple weeks ago, we won't be running out.

I've never seen our stores this busy. There have been times when it would be impossible to squeeze another person in here. Here's a cell phone pic of the store entrance:

Jacob, my 16 year old vector guru weeding a barnwood sign. My laser is on a platform behind a barnwood bench with a Chevy tailgate for a back rest:

A different view:

Looking towards my front door:

Here's a video showing how useful the Trotec is for a work table:

http://www.livetoride.com/images/IMG_1699.MOV

Final random thoughts: 1) Trotec should send me a complimentary machine. I'd be surprised if we didn't sell a few lasers for someone this week.

And final factoid: I posted the Monday group picture on Facebook, plus one other picture and they went somewhat viral, with nearly 30,000 shares and 1,000,000 views

So, that concludes my rather disjointed report. I'll be heading over to Happy Hour shortly.

Thanks,

Bob

Phil Thien
08-07-2015, 10:24 PM
That's great, Bob, thanks for sharing. It must be a good feeling knowing so many people took your work home and will not only appreciate it for years to come, but will enjoy showing it to family and friends, too.

Ron Gosnell
08-07-2015, 10:28 PM
My Sister and Brother in law( Mike and Nancy Paris) have been feeding everyone at the school.
They said it's been pretty crazy this year. I always get a T shirt from them when it's over.
I miss Sturgis and Rapid City. Someday Bob I' hope to get to meet you when I visit. I'm glad it was a success for you.

Gozzie

Junior hall
08-08-2015, 8:09 AM
Nice very very nice How did you do the red plaque.

How did you do the red plaque and congratulations I am up for adoption

Mike Null
08-08-2015, 8:19 AM
Bob

Thanks for posting all the photos. Glad you had such a big week.

Phil Thien
08-08-2015, 10:09 AM
BTW, in your photo, how far back is there enough detail to make someone out? Are you using a digital camera and what resolution?

Those are neat photos.

Bob Davis - Sturgis SD
08-08-2015, 10:36 AM
BTW, in your photo, how far back is there enough detail to make someone out? Are you using a digital camera and what resolution? Those are neat photos.

Phil, I take the group pictures with the Phase One P65+. 60 megapixels, 45mm lens. The 60 inch wide prints are amazing. Most people have probably never seen such detail up close on a photograph. On the side of my building I have a billboard size print of the group photo. You can easily recognize people a block away.

Bob

Bob Davis
08-08-2015, 10:59 AM
This man is clearly an imposter! I am the real Bob Davis, and I've never been to Sturgis!

Bob Davis - Sturgis SD
08-08-2015, 11:09 AM
This man is clearly an imposter! I am the real Bob Davis, and I've never been to Sturgis!

Dear Mr. Fake Bob Davis,

YOU SIR are the reason I had such a hard time registering for this forum! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING??? To settle this confusion, I am willing to buy your username. I will pay one bamboo coaster. Take it or leave it.

Scott Shepherd
08-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Twins, separated at birth, perhaps? Dr. Evil and Austin Powers thing going on here? I'm so confused.

Will the real Bob Davis please stand up?

Bob Davis
08-08-2015, 11:44 AM
I'm standing as I type this.
How big is the bamboo coaster?

Keith Winter
08-08-2015, 11:53 AM
That's fantastic Bob! I would love to have a store that full. Congrats on your success!

AL Ursich
08-08-2015, 11:59 AM
Location, Location, Location.... and it looks like GREAT FUN !!!!

I am Impressed...

AL

Bob Davis - Sturgis SD
08-08-2015, 12:10 PM
I'm standing as I type this.
How big is the bamboo coaster?

Sorry Bob Old Chap,

No time for chit chat. Us Americans work 7 days a week.

Bob

Keith Outten
08-08-2015, 12:33 PM
I don't think its "Old Chap", I think Mate is the appropriate word :)

Bob in Stuurgis, thanks for the pictures and its good to see the crowds in your store because there is hope for the rest of us :)
Next year maybe I can work for you during the rally, I have never been to your neck of the woods.

Bob Davis - Sturgis SD
08-08-2015, 12:40 PM
I don't think its "Old Chap", I think Mate is the appropriate word :)

Sorry bout that, foreign languages were never my strong suit.

Braden Todd
08-09-2015, 11:49 PM
It was great to meet you at the rally Bob! Your store and work was great, I think you had the best products at the whole rally!

Hope you can get some rest now.

Bob Davis - Sturgis SD
08-10-2015, 10:40 PM
It was great to meet you at the rally Bob! Your store and work was great, I think you had the best products at the whole rally! Hope you can get some rest now.

I'm very glad you stopped in Braden. I very much want to see the Kern next time I'm in Boulder.

Bob