PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection at the Lathe

Dave Fritz
08-07-2015, 11:49 AM
I've been using a big gulp on a stand in back of my lathe for dust collection when I sand. I've gotten tired of working around it and moving it when working as it gets in the way.

I've seen pictures of people that have their dust collection hose positioned behind the lathe and below the ways. I'm wondering how to attach it so it could be moved up and down the lathe as needed? I have a Robust Liberty so the ways are stainless steel but the frame is metal.

Anyone have some ideas or have examples of how that could be done?

Thanks,

Dave Fritz

Mike Golka
08-07-2015, 1:21 PM
I have a Oenway that has predrilled and tapped holes on the back side of the ways. This allowed me to mount my hose with small scoop to a " hollowing snake" type of arrangement that can easily be moved along the bed.

Steve Nix
08-07-2015, 1:26 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/webkit-fake-url://1d6e8855-4173-4856-802c-8a92b3d267e8/imagejpeghttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/webkit-fake-url://4cc1e42b-ed51-4845-956e-44c9d6e01d43/imagejpeg
Fyi

Dave Fritz
08-07-2015, 9:00 PM
Steve, what?

Steve Huffman
08-08-2015, 8:52 AM
Dave, not real clear about what you mean as far as getting in the way, but here's my set up. I have it attached to a oak dowel with simple zip ties so I can slide it up or down the lathe. So far this is working for me. If your stand itself is getting in the way, maybe you could rig this dowel or other sliding piece to hang from the ceiling depending on your situation. By showing you what I have done without a stand, perhaps you can elaborate on this to better suit your needs. Good luck!

Dave Fritz
08-08-2015, 9:14 AM
Steve, thanks for the picture. The dowel fits well on your Jet. I was thinking of having the dust hose below the ways. In a situation like that it may be a problem to have a hollow form on with a steady rest. That's what I mean by in the way. Not to mention the stand on the floor catching shavings etc. I don't like to have to stop and move things around. Lazy I guess.
Dave Fritz

Steve Huffman
08-08-2015, 9:36 AM
Ok gotcha. I have to remove the dowel and let the collector hang off a wire when I have the Carter steady rest on. I guess we can't have everything and need a few work arounds with all these contraptions. I actually need to rig some kind of work around the Carter Multi Rest now. Perhaps I can weld up a stand that will hold the dowel farther back to clear the rest. Something that will get in the way...LOL :D

Steve Huffman
08-08-2015, 10:39 AM
Just thinking out loud, I'm wondering how well a homemade articulate arm would work either attached to the wall or on the backside of the lathe? HMMM :confused: I'm going to think on that awhile. Seems to work pretty well with my lights I use.

Jeffrey J Smith
08-08-2015, 11:11 AM
Here's what I use. Three scraps of wood, a few minutes with a router and a couple of leftover carriage bolts/knobs. Used a HF magnet on the base. Works good enough that I haven't needed to look at options so far. Excuse the mess - roughing day.

Dave Fritz
08-08-2015, 11:32 AM
Thanks gentlemen, that's what I was looking at. Going to have to get creative.

Dave Fritz

Reed Gray
08-08-2015, 1:01 PM
Well, I don't know if you have seen my sanding hood You Tube clip or not. My next upgrade will be a hood that stays in place, and I use partitions depending on what I am sanding and/or turning. Good for chip containment, and the hood does a MUCH better job of getting all of the dust before it escapes into the shop.

robo hippy

Steve Nix
08-09-2015, 11:15 AM
Sorry,I'm just learning how to post pics. Here are the two simple but very functional dust removal systems I have on my lathe. Just takes scraps and time.

Mike Golka
08-09-2015, 5:15 PM
here are are a couple pics of my setup

Dave Fritz
08-10-2015, 5:33 PM
Thanks Steve, that looks like a good option.

Dave

Doug Ladendorf
08-10-2015, 7:37 PM
That's an interesting articulated arm Mike. Did you repurpose that or make it?

Doug

Mike Golka
08-11-2015, 10:35 AM
I made it, it's very simple. Just pipe, round bar, flat bar and 2 pieces of angle iron.

John Spitters
08-11-2015, 12:21 PM
Here's mine, 6" PVC pipe drops down the wall in behind the lathe then pivots off a 90 degree elbow and swings in place next to the turning. This also works when turning outboard on my lathe. It will also swing back flush up against the wall so that it can be completely out of the way. I have various hood adapters that can be fitted into the pipe depending on what I am turning at the time. I also have a hood I can put in place when turning wet wood that works as a spray deflector to help keep the spray off the back wall as well as most of the ceiling. I should also mention that I am using a 3hp Grizzly cyclone so my setup is able to catch pretty much 100% of all the fine dust generated while sanding at the lathe, just don't let go of your sand paper as it will vanish up the pipe, don't even bother looking for it on the ground.

Dave Fritz
08-11-2015, 1:01 PM
Mike, that looks like an excellent option. It looks like the articulated arm is mounted on a piece of wood which is mounted on the lathe. Does the wood move on the lathe or the metal plate holding the dust collection?

Dave Fritz

Mike Golka
08-11-2015, 2:34 PM
Dave the whole thing is made of metal, there is a piece of angle iron on each end. One is mounted the the drilled and tapped holes that Oneway has standard on the main tube of their lathes, the other is bolted to the scoop. Each section can be easily remove if you need the scoop to sit lower. Here is a drawing of the basic components. They could easily be made of wood.

Eric Gourieux
08-11-2015, 11:16 PM
John,
That's a great, simple setup. You've obtained some REALLY nice pieces of wood, too!

Fred Belknap
08-12-2015, 7:57 AM
Fine dust collection for a lathe is kind of a myth. I would suggest that you also use some kind of breath protection. I would love to see a set up that collects all the fine dust that is harmful to our lungs. Not trying to burst any bubbles just trying to be helpful.

Wes Ramsey
08-12-2015, 11:34 AM
Well, I don't know if you have seen my sanding hood You Tube clip or not. My next upgrade will be a hood that stays in place, and I use partitions depending on what I am sanding and/or turning. Good for chip containment, and the hood does a MUCH better job of getting all of the dust before it escapes into the shop.

robo hippy

And a fine contraption it is! This is on my future projects list once I get a few long-standing orders out the door.

Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZsVc7qVx7A