PDA

View Full Version : Frog issues and other conumdrums..

steven c newman
08-07-2015, 11:39 AM
Awhile back, picked up two Trans. planes at an auction...total price was $5..
A Stanley No.28 and a No.29...The #28 was almost minty after a clean up
The No.29 had...issues..

replace the rear handle on it. Added a toe bolt..
Yeah, yeah. But it seemed to help the tote stay put. The other issues?
yep,missing a bit of cast iron there...ordered a "new" frog. It arrived yesterday..
Had to clean off all the silver spray paint. Even the brass wheel was...silver. :eek:
Even Brasso wouldn't help. So, now I had two wheel to clean up, and decide which parts to go where..
Not even sure which is which here. Anyway, installed the cleaned up frog
To where I THOUGHT it should go....the part of the frog with the bolt sticking out, should have been flush with the wooden ramp the iron beds on....

Installed the rest of the parts....something just ain't right:confused:

Got to looking things over. It was when I sat it beside the No.28....ah, the front end of the 29 sits lower? Well, I tried a shim out in front...was close. Didn't feel like adding a zero to 1/8" thick sole add-on.

Decided to back the frog as far back as I could. Since the bed doesn't "move" the iron would tip UP. It closed the mouth a bit too. Re-adjusted the iron a bit, to mate up with the yoke's tab. Things all nice and tight, test track.

Nice thin oak shavings came curling up out of the plane!! :D:D

This No. 29 already had other "issues" . A new one should be 20" long, with the number stamp on the nose. Someone had sawn off almost an inch from that end, you can even see the circular saw marks still on the wood:mad:
Rear handle was not only snapped in two, it was missing the entire horn.:(
A broken off lateral lever, taling a part of the frog with it.:mad:
Front end was 1/8" lower than it should have been...:(

Frog cost was $15, counting S&H. Auction cost per plane was $2.50. :D

So, for about $17.50, and a bit of rehab work, I now have a decent try plane sized plane in working order. Not too bad?:rolleyes:

steven c newman
08-07-2015, 12:05 PM
Pictures or it didn't happen, right?
And, not even a hint of chatter, either...
The clamp hold this end of the plank from dropping down, other end is in the leg vise. These curls were coming up out of the plane, and some would even wrap around my wrist.

might be a keeper?