PDA

View Full Version : Never put WD-40 on a bandsaw blade.

Brian Kent
08-06-2015, 4:46 PM
Never put WD-40 on a bandsaw blade. DAMHIKT. They can slide off of the wheels, make a loud noise, and get all kinked up. At least, I would imagine that is what would happen.

On an unrelated note, I just placed an order for 2 new Lenox Diemaster II blades!

Bruce Page
08-06-2015, 4:56 PM
Why would you? Rust prevention?
Make sure to clean the tires really well before you mount the new blade.

Patrick McCarthy
08-06-2015, 5:36 PM
Rev, you can always claim the devil made you do it.

Brian Kent
08-06-2015, 5:54 PM
I have been cutting several dozen blanks of a sort that leaves a yellow sawdust and resin on the blade and eventually clogs the teeth. So I used oven cleaner the worst time and Simple Green the next time. I wondered if I waxed or oiled it I could keep the yellow resin from building up.

…and the rest is history.

lowell holmes
08-06-2015, 6:08 PM
A dealer that sold me a Timberwolf blade said to spray the blade with Pam. It did quieten the saw. I don't do it, but I did try it.

James Baker SD
08-06-2015, 6:22 PM
A dealer that sold me a Timberwolf blade said to spray the blade with Pam. It did quieten the saw. I don't do it, but I did try it.

I tried Pam and the same result as the OP. Loud noise, startled saw operator, destroyed (kinked) blade. Luckily no injury.

Floyd Mah
08-06-2015, 6:41 PM
This brings back an old memory. A friend cleaned up another friend's motorcycle, and being a perfectionist, he ArmorAlled the sidewalls of the tires to make them look really "slick". Unfortunately, his friend was a real riding enthusiast and spilled the bike the time that he took a corner quickly.

Bruce Page
08-06-2015, 7:28 PM
I have been cutting several dozen blanks of a sort that leaves a yellow sawdust and resin on the blade and eventually clogs the teeth. So I used oven cleaner the worst time and Simple Green the next time. I wondered if I waxed or oiled it I could keep the yellow resin from building up.

…and the rest is history.

Ahhh, I can see that path now.
I've done similar.

Max Neu
08-06-2015, 8:19 PM
I have never oiled a blade,but if you feel the need,I think you would be OK to oil the outside only,leaving the side that rides on the wheel dry.

Allan Speers
08-06-2015, 11:37 PM
My shop used to get really humid, so I used Boeshield on by bandsaw blades. I never had a problem, I guess because it quickly dries to a waxy consistency. I'll probably keep on using it event though I now have decent humidity control.

Lee Schierer
08-07-2015, 7:28 AM
I have never oiled a blade,but if you feel the need,I think you would be OK to oil the outside only,leaving the side that rides on the wheel dry.

Oil tends to migrate so I wouldn't think it would stay on one side very long particularly if you coiled it up.

Bradley Gray
08-07-2015, 8:35 AM
I have used silicone dry lube spray with good results - needs to be used sparingly or it will mess with finishing.

Bill White
08-07-2015, 10:35 AM
Silly boys! WD40 is to be used on your sore knees. Never on a bandsaw blade. :)
I won't tell you about the time I put Armor All on the motorcycle seat, but it was exciting.
Bill

Dave Cav
08-07-2015, 1:54 PM

It's worked for me, too. I have done it a couple of times, but not on a regular basis. Just don't go overboard with how much you use.

Andrew Hughes
08-07-2015, 2:58 PM
What is the procedure for getting to Pam out of the kitchen?Should I just grab it and run or maybe it's best done under the cover of darkness.Sounds risky to me but if the payoff there I'm all for it!

ken masoumi
08-07-2015, 4:31 PM
What is the procedure for getting to Pam out of the kitchen?Should I just grab it and run or maybe it's best done under the cover of darkness.Sounds risky to me but if the payoff there I'm all for it!
Lol,If I take anything out of the kitchen, my wife always shouts:don't bring it back.

Chris Padilla
08-07-2015, 4:47 PM
You do it when she can actually see you, Ken? ;)

Kent A Bathurst
08-07-2015, 6:41 PM
I have used silicone dry lube spray

The Horror!! The HORROR!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Carroll Courtney
08-08-2015, 6:40 AM
Lennox also sells a lube or wax that is the same size as a tube of caulk but you use your thumb to push it up the tube.I be dang it works.I also use it on my horizontal band saw.