PDA

View Full Version : What bandsaw blade ?

Rich Huhra
08-06-2015, 4:04 PM
I am going to try doing some re sawing on a Sears 10" bandsaw. I've used this bandsaw a lot but never for re sawing. Will most likely be cutting cedar, pine , poplar and maybe oak. What size blade should I be looking at, 1/2" width 3tpi or 1/2" width 4tpi or something else? Open to suggestions.
Thanks
Rich

Larry Frank
08-06-2015, 7:49 PM
I have the Rikon 10" which is the same as the Craftsman. I do not think it can handle that size blade. I do not resaw on mine as I can not tension the blade high enough.

Matt Day
08-06-2015, 7:56 PM
What height wood are you considering "resawing"? Anything over I'd say 3"-4" maybe on a saw that size is probably pushing it. At those sizes, I'd rather consider using the table saw.

Brad Barnhart
08-06-2015, 11:27 PM
Ive got a 10" skil band saw, & it uses a 62" blade. Yea, I know, it's an oldie, but it does what I need it to do. Anyhow, I had a client call & request an order in 1/4" white oak for the scroll saw. I very seldom use anything 1/4". So, I got the bright idea to re saw the 1" x 3" instead of wasting all that material runnin it thru the planer. The only place I could find blades that size was through Grizzly. So I called them, talked to a tech to see which blade they'd recommend. They suggested the 3/8" wide ten rake blade for my saw. I'm yet to get it put it on due to other projects, but it looks to be a good blade, no flaws or anything. Ya might give Grizzly a try.

Dan Hahr
08-06-2015, 11:52 PM
If you have a table saw, you'd be better off just using it with a thin kerf blade. Cuts much straighter and way faster. Save the bandsaw for curves.

Dan

Roger Pozzi
08-07-2015, 6:41 AM
I use this blade (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/150697/Olson-Flex-Back-Bandsaw-Blade-70-12-x-12-x-4-TPI-Hook-Tooth.aspx) on my Rikon 10" bandsaw with great success. I can resaw up to 4 7/8" boards and have done so on bubinga, leopardwood, hickory, and, of course oak. It's not a fast task but, using Alex Snodgrass's set up technique, it works perfectly for me.

Rich Huhra
08-07-2015, 10:28 AM
I made a typing error when I said it was a 10" bandsaw. It is a 12". I've re sawn some cedar on it before using a timber wolf 80 x 1/2 x 4tpi. That worked, but was just wondering if there are any other good band saw blades available for resawing.