PDA

View Full Version : Full size communion sets

Brian Kent
08-06-2015, 1:49 PM
These chalices are 8.5" and 10" high. I started the hollowing of the cup with progressively larger forstner bits and round-nose scrapers. In order to control the vibration I used a steady rest and a chuck. The purpose in this size is that it needs to be seen from 40 feet away and it needs to hold an adequate amount of grape juice (for Methodists - others use wine) for about 50 piece of bread to be dipped in (called intinction).

All of these are Fern Pine / African Yellowwood.

Everything is sanded to at least 400 and buffed with cotton. The bowls and the outside of the biggest bowl are friction-finished with Minwax paste wax. The inside of the large chalice has 2 layers of shellac and will have several more layers of Wipe On Poly. The smaller chalice has Wood Turners Finish and will receive many more layers before I allow it to completely dry and I can test it for staining.

For churches that use wafers for the bread, a flatter plate with lower rim works fine. For settings that use larger pieces of bread, the bowl or basket keeps the bread from falling off.

As a theological aside, these are only for Protestant churches. Catholics are only allowed to use metal (and maybe glass chalices).

Randy Red Bemont
08-07-2015, 7:00 AM
Awesome job Brian.

Red