PDA

View Full Version : First timer with Waterlox

Jeffrey Cole
08-06-2015, 12:36 PM
I have searched the site but can not find a a answer to my question.
I have my walnut table ready to put waterlox on. I am going to brush on 5 or 6 coats sanding between coats only if needed for dust nibs. I see that some of you wipe on an additional 3 coats. What is the purpose for the wipe on coats? I do plan on sanding and using cream polish after it cures for a month for a smooth finish. Any help would be very appreciated by this novice.
Thank you for your time and knowledge
Jeffrey

Prashun Patel
08-06-2015, 1:02 PM
Some people brush, some people wipe, some people brush then wipe.

Brushing can sometimes leave minor surface imperfections - but it builds up a thick film quickly. Some people like to build by brushing, then level the surface by sanding gently, and then wipe on some thinned coats as a final polish. The thin coats catch less dust and allow bubbles to pop easier than the thicker brushed coats. Think of those final coats as polishing the surface.

Jeffrey Cole
08-07-2015, 8:26 PM
Thank you for your information. I am going to apply waterlox this weekend. Looking forward to the experience.
Thanks again!!
Jeffrey

Kent A Bathurst
08-07-2015, 11:25 PM
Suggest that after each brush coat, wait 24 hours, and then scuff sand. Every time.

You don't need to sand between the wipe-on, but that's good for a max of 3, then wait 24 hours, and scuff sand if you are doing more.

3 wipe on = 1 brush.

You plan on, in effect, 6-7 brush coats.

THAT oughta do it.

Reminds me of the line from the movie -- "You think you used enough dynamite there, Butch?"

Scott DelPorte
08-08-2015, 7:41 PM
I'm getting ready to finish a cherry end table and want to use Waterlox for the first time too. The last one I built I used Minwax wipe on poly, and just wiped it on with blue paper towels, sanded now and then between coats, and was really pleased with how well it came out. I got a can of Waterlox original, and want to wipe it on as well. How much do you thin the Waterlox to use it as a wiping finish?

Charles Taylor
08-08-2015, 8:10 PM
I got a can of Waterlox original, and want to wipe it on as well. How much do you thin the Waterlox to use it as a wiping finish?

The Original Sealer/Finish doesn't have to be thinned.

Scott DelPorte
08-08-2015, 9:57 PM
thanks Chuck