PDA

View Full Version : Slanted bench hook

James Pallas
08-06-2015, 9:53 AM
I made this bench hook because of back problems. I need to stand up straight to accomplish much work. I wanted to be able to use the hook with western or Japanese saws so one side is 30 degrees and the other 60 degrees. It has a movable cleat to position it in the vise and removable cleats and a hold down for the cutting surface. It can be used for rips or cross cuts. Nothing fancy just what I had for the wood. 319039319040
I gave it a test drive and I think it may work very well. My bench is height adjustable to make it possibly work even better.
Jim
ps can't get this picture business quite right

Jim Koepke
08-06-2015, 1:02 PM
Interesting way to overcome back discomfort.

jtk

Bill Houghton
08-06-2015, 1:55 PM
Ingenious. You should consider submitting that to one of the magazines - Pop Wood, for instance.

Brian Lindenlaub
08-06-2015, 3:01 PM
Your design could be desirable for people without back problems too. Well done.

James Pallas
08-06-2015, 7:10 PM
Jim, Bill, and Brian thank you all for your kind comments. I have just tested this bench hook so far. In the first few cuts I felt like it will really work for me. I hope it will work for others as well. A bad back is not a necessity I believe it would work for anyone. When using a western saw it is easy to see the line on both the edge and the face standing straight up. With the Japanese saws on the 30 degree side you can't see the edge but if you turn the piece with the edge in front you can start the cut that way and then just flip it against the ramp and cut away. I have a few small things I am finishing up where I won't need it but now I am anxious to use it on a new project.
Jim