PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10

Robert Willing
08-06-2015, 9:05 AM
Has anyone downloaded Windows 10 and if so do you need to interact with it during install/download. I am thinking of downloading it but am on a limited down load data usage so I was thinking of downloading after 12:00 AM in the morning.

Matt Day
08-06-2015, 9:08 AM
There are a couple of other threads on Win10 active right now that might answer your questions.

Larry Browning
08-06-2015, 9:14 AM
Where have you been man? Certainly not reading SMC!

(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?231720-Windows-10-will-be-available-July-29) http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?233521-New-Laptop-update-to-Windows-10

(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?233521-New-Laptop-update-to-Windows-10)http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?233768-Are-you-going-to-upgade-to-Windows-10-today

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?233526-Windows-10-about-face

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?231720-Windows-10-will-be-available-July-29 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?233526-Windows-10-about-face)

Robert Willing
08-06-2015, 9:57 AM
I know there is a thread but it did not answer my question.

Randy Red Bemont
08-06-2015, 10:04 AM
No interaction during the download. There are some questions during the setup. I was able to do it so it is easy. Good luck. I like windows 10 so far.

Red

Matt Meiser
08-06-2015, 10:38 AM
I've done it 4 times now--3 8.1 to 10 and 1 7 to 10--and its pretty painless. A couple questions up front, then it downloads and reboots as needed. Once done it asks some configuration questions around privacy vs. functionality mostly (for Cortana and some of the other features to work, you must share data with Microsoft since the functionality is cloud-based.) Mine all went very fast, less than an hour, but I have 105MB internet.

joe aiello
08-07-2015, 8:06 AM
I installed it yesterday. A little confusing at the beginning - screen went blank
Where are the favorites, menu bar, how to get Google bar ?
how to make Yahoo my default?

.... joe

Pat Barry
08-07-2015, 8:13 AM
I installed it yesterday. A little confusing at the beginning - screen went blank
Where are the favorites, menu bar, how to get Google bar ?
how to make Yahoo my default?

.... joe
I you want Yahoo to be your default you do need help. Seriously, all my favorites stayed right with Firefox where they were left before I upgraded. I had a seamless update. I have tried Edge but the jury is still out.

Jim Becker
08-07-2015, 9:52 AM
I downloaded the ISO last night to repair my daughter's PC...it took about five minutes on my FiOS 75/75 connection.

Chuck Wintle
08-07-2015, 10:22 AM
I downloaded the ISO last night to repair my daughter's PC...it took about five minutes on my FiOS 75/75 connection.

Is the ISO tied to the individual PC that windows was originally installed on? I would like to do this to so that I can decide when to install.

Mike Henderson
08-07-2015, 4:53 PM
I've upgraded two computers. On one of them, the upgrade wouldn't start from the normal download and I had to contact MS through chat. They did another download and that one installed just fine.

So far, I like the operating system. They carried over a bit of the Metro interface - I guess they just couldn't completely do away with it - but it's not too much.

They hid a few things, like the control panel and the run command but you can find them if you know where to look.

Mike

Robert Willing
08-08-2015, 8:52 AM
Thanks for the info.

Steve Schlumpf
08-09-2015, 4:09 PM
Is the ISO tied to the individual PC that windows was originally installed on? I would like to do this to so that I can decide when to install.

Good question! Was wondering the same thing!

Gerry Grzadzinski
08-09-2015, 6:19 PM

No, it's not tied to any PC. But, it must be the same version as the version your upgrading.

If you burn an iso of Windows 10 Home, it can only upgrade Windows 7 Home and Windows 8.1 Home.

If you burn an iso of Windows 10 Pro, it can only upgrade Windows 7 Pro or 8.1 Pro.

Just make sure you download the version that matches your current system.
If you need to upgrade different versions, than you'll need different iso's.

Steve Schlumpf
08-09-2015, 6:29 PM
Thanks Gerry! That answer everything for me!

Jim Becker
08-10-2015, 9:18 AM
No. The ISO is usable for loading multiple machines and/or virtual machines. But it doesn't replace having valid credentials for that machine... ;) ...it's purely for the convenience of loading it. For example, I have to put a new hard drive in my daughter's computer as it went to "hard drive heaven" last week. So I need to do a clean install from DVD. I downloaded the ISO and cut the DVD on my iMac and as soon as the drive arrives I can get it installed and bring her computer back to life. The original credentials will be used.

Larry Browning
08-10-2015, 9:51 AM
I'm not sure which of the 3-4 Windows 10 threads to add this to, but I choose this one since this one has the newest responses.

I found this article about the forced system updates for the the home version.
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-defer-installing-updates-windows-10.htm

joe aiello
08-10-2015, 10:13 AM
Well, I went back to win 7; I was wasting too much time adapting to win 10. Could never resolve the issue about favorites. might give it another go in the future. If I have to learn a new system, It might as well be Apple.
.... joe

Chuck Wintle
08-10-2015, 10:29 AM
Well, I went back to win 7; I was wasting too much time adapting to win 10. Could never resolve the issue about favorites. might give it another go in the future. If I have to learn a new system, It might as well be Apple.
.... joe

joe,

i did the same thing as you and returned to win 7 until MS correct some issues with it.

Pat Barry
08-10-2015, 12:49 PM
.... joe

They will welcome you to the dark side but seriously, there isn't all that much to learn with Win 10

Larry Browning
08-10-2015, 1:55 PM
.... joe

Joe,
Just curious, what issues were you having with favorites? I am assuming you are talking about the start menu?

BTW: I haven't upgraded yet, but plan to do so maybe around October or November, so I am just wondering what I need to be looking out for.

George Bokros
08-10-2015, 2:19 PM
I am not sure I will upgrade and I have Win10 reserved for both computers. I do not like MS being nosey wanting to share my network connections with my friends and wanting to know so much about my computer use. I looked at the link in the other Win10 thread concerning all the things MS wan us t to send them. Yes they can be turned off after spending the time to find where but the arrogance of MS that they will turn them back on automatically is appalling. Yes I know we are just licensed to use their product but this arrogance is as I said appalling.

Until I hear that these issues have been corrected I will delay my Win 10 installation indefinitely.

Mike Henderson
08-10-2015, 2:42 PM
I am not sure I will upgrade and I have Win10 reserved for both computers. I do not like MS being nosey wanting to share my network connections with my friends and wanting to know so much about my computer use. I looked at the link in the other Win10 thread concerning all the things MS wan us t to send them. Yes they can be turned off after spending the time to find where but the arrogance of MS that they will turn them back on automatically is appalling. Yes I know we are just licensed to use their product but this arrogance is as I said appalling.

Until I hear that these issues have been corrected I will delay my Win 10 installation indefinitely.
I think I remember that during the installation of Win 10 they ask if you want to participate in those programs. My memory says that all I had to do was click a different check box to turn them off. I didn't have any problem with what they asked for so I accepted the defaults.

Someone who has a better memory, or did the installation today, might correct me but I think I'm right.

Mike

Steve Peterson
08-11-2015, 12:39 PM
It looks like Windows 10 will have to download about 3GB of data. This would take over an hour across my 6Mb/s link. You could start at 11:00PM or 11:30PM if you have daily data limits and want to spread the download across 2 days. I am still trying to decide if I should upgrade my wife's PC.

Steve

Tom Stenzel
08-11-2015, 2:14 PM
I updated my system. Now the old interface problems that bugged me are gone, replaced by new interface gremlins (cursor going nuts). The included calculator has a RPN mode, yay! And..

Oh wait, I upgraded from Point Linux 2.3.1 to Point Linux 3.0.

Nevermind.

-Tom

Pat Barry
08-11-2015, 7:08 PM
I updated my system. Now the old interface problems that bugged me are gone, replaced by new interface gremlins (cursor going nuts). The included calculator has a RPN mode, yay! And..

Oh wait, I upgraded from Point Linux 2.3.1 to Point Linux 3.0.

Nevermind.

-Tom

oh yeah, RPN and Linux. What a combo. That's a pretty complete PC experience right there. LOL

Dennis Peacock
08-12-2015, 1:44 PM
I'm just not one to jump on the "newest release" band wagon. I much prefer to wait a few months (if not a year) and then decide if I want to upgrade or not....based on several other people's experiences that is.

Bruce Page
08-12-2015, 1:49 PM
I'm just not one to jump on the "newest release" band wagon. I much prefer to wait a few months (if not a year) and then decide if I want to upgrade or not....based on several other people's experiences that is.
I'm right there with you Dennis. I have two Win7 Pro machines that run very well, I'm in no hurry to move to Win10.

Robert Willing
08-13-2015, 3:42 PM
One last question? Will windows 10 let you schedule updates. I know windows 7 would let you schedule auto updates such as 2:00AM. Windows 8 you need to manually assist or initiate the update. I don't want random times picked by MS. I don't like being interrupted for updates, and I have a data limit each month except 12:00AM to 5:00AM which are free.

Jim Becker
08-14-2015, 8:01 PM
I now have Win10 properly installed on my daughter's computer and it's running very nicely. Nothing like a "fresh install" to kick performance up a notch! LOL (hard drive replacement and once I got the official Dell "recovery OS" disk to put Win8 back on so things would activate, Win10 install was a breeze)

Ole Anderson
08-15-2015, 8:39 AM
My daily use machine is a 7 year old Dell laptop (win 7that is giving me fits as for the last few months MS up dates always fail so it wants to keep rebooting until it gets it right, which it never does. Maybe going to 10 will solve that problem?

Chuck Wintle
08-15-2015, 8:55 AM
My daily use machine is a 7 year old Dell laptop (win 7that is giving me fits as for the last few months MS up dates always fail so it wants to keep rebooting until it gets it right, which it never does. Maybe going to 10 will solve that problem?

maybe this will help to solve the problem...
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates#1TC=windows-7

Jim Becker
08-16-2015, 10:55 AM
Ole, I think you may find that a "clean install" at this point might breath some life back into that laptop, whether you stay with Win7 or move up to Win10.

Ole Anderson
08-16-2015, 1:02 PM
Ole, I think you may find that a "clean install" at this point might breath some life back into that laptop, whether you stay with Win7 or move up to Win10.

I tried the fix suggested by Chuck with no luck, still getting the message that it failed to install critical updates. As far as a clean install, I am sure you are right, I just don't have the heart right now to reload all of my programs and data unless it is on a new machine...

Jim Becker
08-17-2015, 2:59 PM
I tried the fix suggested by Chuck with no luck, still getting the message that it failed to install critical updates. As far as a clean install, I am sure you are right, I just don't have the heart right now to reload all of my programs and data unless it is on a new machine...
Yea, I can appreciate that...and the machine you can get for the money these days is pretty impressive. I did just do a 'clean install' on my daughter's machine and I can tell you that it was running "slick as all get-out" afterward. She didn't have much in the way of lost data...anything important, such as music and video were available in iCloud and reinstalling Office from my Office 365 subscription was pretty much an automated process. The only thing that turned out to be missing is that Win10 no longer has native ability to play DVD video content, so I had to install a free third party application so she can continue with her Family Guy, I Love Lucy and Get Smart viewing marathons... :rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
08-17-2015, 4:22 PM
My Win10 installation was painless on my desktop PC.

I think later this week I will try it on my laptop.

Lee Schierer
08-17-2015, 6:13 PM
I'm thinking of upgrading. We have two machines. Our laptop has Windows 7 and it works fine. The desktop unit is windows 8 and it works fine, but LOML hates the multitude of things on the main screen. She was used to Windows XP which was a good system for our needs.

I am concerned about upgrading the laptop because I have and use Windows Live Photo gallery. I like the fuse and panorama features and would hate to lose them by going to windows 10.

Has anyone that upgraded to Windows 10 been able to use Windows Live Photo gallery fuse and panorama features?

Dave Lehnert
08-17-2015, 9:23 PM
I have found one issue with Windows 10 upgrade.
Settings will not open, Just flashes on screen then close.
Anyone here have that problem?
Looks like an known issue. I have Googled it but cant find a fix to download from a site I trust or understand what to do.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-17-2015, 10:07 PM
Dave...that's interesting. I just read your post and opened my Settings with no problems. Hmmm.

Mike Henderson
08-17-2015, 10:43 PM
Dave...that's interesting. I just read your post and opened my Settings with no problems. Hmmm.
No problems with settings here either - two computers running Win 10.

Mike

Dave Lehnert
08-17-2015, 10:44 PM

I can find it as an issue for windows 10 via a Google search. My laptop is brand new 8.1 updated to windows 10 less than a week after purchase. I just got off remote help with HP and they work with my computer for about an hour with no success fixing the issue. Seemed like they were trying too hard to find the problem. I'm seeing fixes on the net but nothing I trust or understand exactly what to do.

As an example
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-settings-app-does-not-launch

Mike Henderson
08-17-2015, 10:59 PM
I can find it as an issue for windows 10 via a Google search. My laptop is brand new 8.1 updated to windows 10 less than a week after purchase. I just got off remote help with HP and they work with my computer for about an hour with no success fixing the issue. Seemed like they were trying too hard to find the problem. I'm seeing fixes on the net but nothing I trust or understand exactly what to do.

As an example
http://sulemansaeed.blogspot.com/2015/08/fix-windows-10-settings-app-does-not.html
Did you have one of those programs that bypass the metro interface on Win 8? If so, uninstall it and reboot. You can find control panel by searching in the start search box (so you don't have to use settings).

Alternately, type in msconfig and do a clean boot (don't load anything at boot time). Then remove the metro bypass program. Then boot normally.

Mike

Dave Lehnert
08-17-2015, 11:04 PM
Did you have one of those programs that bypass the metro interface on Win 8? If so, uninstall it and reboot. You can find control panel by searching in the start search box (so you don't have to use settings).

Alternately, type in msconfig and do a clean boot (don't load anything at boot time). Then remove the metro bypass program. Then boot normally.

Mike

Not sure
Laptop less than a week old before update to windows 10.

John Coloccia
08-18-2015, 3:45 AM
Sticking with Windows 7 indefinitely. It's very stable and reliable. There have been too many problems with forced updates taking down systems with absolutely no way to stop them. If that happens, my business shuts down cold. Maybe they'll get it right with Windows 11?

It's actually kind of making me sick to my stomach that the handful of software my business depends on is only available for Windows. The last thing a small business owner needs is to be worrying about the stupid computer bricking itself.

Pat Barry
08-18-2015, 8:00 AM
I am really starting to like Windows 10 actually. They fixed the biggest issue which was the Metro interface. They upgraded all the desktop and taskbar functionality, and the new surf tool is an improvement over IE. I have had 0 problems albeit have needed to learn a few things. If people don't like the idea of learning something a bit different they are being foolish. To quote an old commercial "Try it, you'll like it!"

John Coloccia
08-18-2015, 8:40 AM
I am really starting to like Windows 10 actually. They fixed the biggest issue which was the Metro interface. They upgraded all the desktop and taskbar functionality, and the new surf tool is an improvement over IE. I have had 0 problems albeit have needed to learn a few things. If people don't like the idea of learning something a bit different they are being foolish. To quote an old commercial "Try it, you'll like it!"

I generally like what they've done too, but it's the new Microsoft. They seem hell-bent on this crazy, power hungry control grab at all costs. They should back off now and go back to a normal update schedule before the entire world forces them too...just like we killed Vista...and killed 8. We'll happily kill 10 as well, and not getting some obscure security updates doesn't scare me. I could stay on 10 for the next 20 years, and so can everyone else.

I wish they'd fix it because I'd really like to upgrade. C'est la vie.

Curt Harms
08-18-2015, 9:04 AM
I generally like what they've done too, but it's the new Microsoft. They seem hell-bent on this crazy, power hungry control grab at all costs. They should back off now and go back to a normal update schedule before the entire world forces them too...just like we killed Vista...and killed 8. We'll happily kill 10 as well, and not getting some obscure security updates doesn't scare me. I could stay on 10 for the next 20 years, and so can everyone else.

I wish they'd fix it because I'd really like to upgrade. C'est la vie.

Would upgrading to the 'enterprise' version or possibly the pro version help? I'm pretty sure you can control/defer updates for some period of time - 8 months? - on the enterprise version and I thought there was a way to defer updates on the pro version as well. I can understand MicroSoft's desire to make sure home users are patched and know better than to rely on home users to do it themselves. For myself, Win10 running in a Virtualbox VM is working nicely and I have a known functional backup that can be restored in minutes if things get crossways. Then again, I haven't had a reason to start Windows in weeks.

John Coloccia
08-18-2015, 11:07 AM
Would upgrading to the 'enterprise' version or possibly the pro version help? I'm pretty sure you can control/defer updates for some period of time - 8 months? - on the enterprise version and I thought there was a way to defer updates on the pro version as well. I can understand MicroSoft's desire to make sure home users are patched and know better than to rely on home users to do it themselves. For myself, Win10 running in a Virtualbox VM is working nicely and I have a known functional backup that can be restored in minutes if things get crossways. Then again, I haven't had a reason to start Windows in weeks.

I'm waiting to see how it really shakes out. I think I'm running the "Pro" of 7 on everything anyway, but I'm waiting to hear from IT guys that they can effectively keep their systems running.

Restoring from a backup won't help if an update fails. It simply tries to reinstall it the next time you run Windows. There's no way simple way to stop it. If you're going to force people to take updates, they need to work across the board, every time...period. If they can't, and it looks like they can't, then it's a lousy idea that should be killed before it's had a chance to cause real damage.

Dave Lehnert
08-18-2015, 7:48 PM

As an example
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-settings-app-does-not-launch

HP got back to me tonight.
They took control of my computer again and started to run all kinds of programs. They seemed to think I had a virus of some kind. After about 1/2 hr and seeing computer scans were going to take a very long time, I showed HP the link in my post above. They did what was said to do and it fixed the problem right away in less than a min.

Hope this may help someone if needed.

Curt Harms
08-19-2015, 8:04 AM
I'm waiting to see how it really shakes out. I think I'm running the "Pro" of 7 on everything anyway, but I'm waiting to hear from IT guys that they can effectively keep their systems running.

Restoring from a backup won't help if an update fails. It simply tries to reinstall it the next time you run Windows. There's no way simple way to stop it. If you're going to force people to take updates, they need to work across the board, every time...period. If they can't, and it looks like they can't, then it's a lousy idea that should be killed before it's had a chance to cause real damage.

Here is what seems like a decent overview of Windows 10 updates.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/turn-off-automatic-app-updates-windows-10/

Microsoft’s New Updating Methods

Throughout the entire Technical Preview (http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-10-pictures-guided-tour-technical-preview/) a whole new scheme for updating Windows 10 was used. It involved fast and slow rings, which controlled how frequently updates were installed on the participant’s devices depending on which ring they belonged to. Now that Windows 10 is being sent out into the wild, update branches (described below) will be used to decide who gets updates at what time once they are available.
The most flexibility is with the Enterprise edition on the Long Term Servicing Branch (LTSB). This is only available for customers with a Volume Licensing Agreement (VLA) or Software Assurance (SA) and it allows any update to be postponed indefinitely.

In the middle, we have the Professional, Enterprise, and Education editions with the Current Branch for Business (CBB). It allows users to defer updates for an unspecified amount of time before they are forced onto the machines. This allows companies to test the security patches, fixes, and new features before rolling them out via Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb332157.aspx) or other compatible patch management systems such as System Center Configuration Manager, thus allowing more company control while still making sure all updates eventually get rolled out.

And at the bottom of our list we have Windows 10 Home which uses the Current Branch (CB). It allows very little control over updates (http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/pros-cons-forced-updates-windows-10/). The other issue that arises with the Home edition is that Microsoft has decided to apply the same behavior to all apps installed from the Store. A user can initiate an update check and install cycle, but you cannot select what updates will be applied. You simply get them all.

Microsoft has been pretty upfront about the fact that home users get Win 10 updates first and in waves. If there aren't too many screams of pain and anguish those updates are released to commercial users. At least that's how I understand it.

Dave Lehnert
08-21-2015, 10:50 PM
Here is another Windows 10 issue.

I received an e-mail on how to use Windows 10. Gives a list of links.
When I click on the links it will tell me they only work with Windows 10.
I also get info every now and then that my Windows 10 upgrade is on its way.
I have been running Windows 10 for two weeks or so?
Why do they think I am still running Windows 8???????

Mike Henderson
08-21-2015, 11:58 PM
Little off subject but I've been running Windows 10 on two machines for a couple of weeks now. I had issues on one machine that caused to go to Tier II support but they handled it well. So far, everything is running fine - no problem with any programs and the system, itself, is doing well.

It's nice to get both computers on the same OS. Before I was running one on Win 7 and the other on Win 8. It was kind of a headache getting both computers converted, however, and it took some time on my part. Definitely not download and forget.

Mike

Lee Schierer
08-22-2015, 2:16 PM
So what happened to the "Guest" account. We had one set up in Windows 81, but Windows 10 didn't carry it over and doesn't seem to allow one to get set up if you try to name it Guest.