PDA

View Full Version : hooking up a vaccum to a Porter- Cable finishing Sander

Clarence Martin
08-05-2015, 10:53 PM
Do they make an attachment to hook up a vacuum hose to a Porter Cable 340 finishing sander?

Charles Wiggins
08-05-2015, 11:50 PM
II bought a Rigid car cleaning kit for my Rigid vac that has an extension hose with a 1.25" hose nozzle that fit my PC finish sander pretty well. Not sue of the model no.

Jim Dwight
08-06-2015, 8:28 AM
I do not have this sander but this adapter works fine with my DeWalt sander, my DeWalt track saw and even my old Ryobi RAS:

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-VAC003-35mm-hose--Adapter/dp/B0000AV77S/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1438864005&sr=1-1-fkmr3&keywords=bosch+5M+hose+adapter

glenn bradley
08-06-2015, 8:36 AM
In the absence of an offered adapter, these look like (http://www.rockler.com/dust-right-universal-small-port-hose-kit) a cure-all for some of these issues. An afterthought at this point but, I consider the dust collection method as one of the deciding factors when selecting a tool. There are definitely times when the tool performance warrants the addition of yet another adapter however.

Robert Delhommer Sr
08-06-2015, 8:51 AM
I have the set Glynn mentions, the Dust Right universal small port kit and like it. It fits my Dewalt ROS and my 1/4 sheet finish sanders and a couple of other small tools.

Paul Wunder
08-06-2015, 8:57 AM
Rockler has an adapter that they claim is very adaptable.I don't own it but it seems interesting. The link to the "kit" is below. I believe that parts are also sold separately.

http://www.rockler.com/dust-right-universal-small-port-hose-kit

Art Mann
08-06-2015, 12:45 PM
I also own the Rockler kit mentioned above and I use it with both Dewalt and Ridgid random orbital sanders. The adapter fits just fine and the ultra stretchy hose is better to work with than the stiff plastic one that comes with most shop vacuums. I also have a really old Ryobi ROS and the adapter doesn't work.

Greg Hines, MD
08-06-2015, 12:55 PM
I also own the Rockler kit mentioned above and I use it with both Dewalt and Ridgid random orbital sanders. The adapter fits just fine and the ultra stretchy hose is better to work with than the stiff plastic one that comes with most shop vacuums. I also have a really old Ryobi ROS and the adapter doesn't work.

I would agree. Their hose is very stretch and easy to move, and the larger adapter has worked for me so far. I suppose at some point I will need the smaller one, but the large one does a snug fit to my track saw, random orbit sander, and routers.

Doc

Jim Dwight
08-06-2015, 3:08 PM
I haven't done this to connect to hand held tools yet but for a connection to my semi-stationary tools, I use PVC plumbing pipe, usually 2 inch. That would be too big for a sander but there are smaller diameters available. If you heat it with a heat gun, you can form it to what you need. I hard connected my vacuum to my dust deputy doing this and made an adapter for my 2.5" shop vacuum hose to connect to the dust deputy this way. If I had an odd size sander port I would try to make an adapter.

Dan Rude
08-06-2015, 11:41 PM
Peachtree has a kit for it. I picked up 3 of the kits for PORTER-CABLE 73333 Dust Collection System for Models 7334, 7335 and 7336 PC Random Obit sander/polisher when 7-Corners closed up shop :( (bought them out.). They fit the PC ports perfect and also fit my Kreg Jig dust port. I use them on my little shop vacuums with Mr. Nozzle fittings. The hose is nice and flexible. I am having trouble adapting the small end though. I too am thinking of the Rockler kit for some other tools. Another place to look is at the rubber step down adapters in the plumbing department too. Dan