PDA

View Full Version : Bevel on Laminate

Herb Smith
08-05-2015, 4:29 PM
I'll be putting a laminate top on two projects, one a work table and the other the top for a miter saw station. It's been a long time since I've worked with laminate. I'm thinking that a beveled edge would be best. I plan on doing the trim and beveling with a router but note that trim bits come in both 7 and 15 degree (and probably others). Is one preferable over the other?

Tom M King
08-05-2015, 8:37 PM
I don't remember the angle, but I do remember always leaving the edge a little bit proud with the bit, and finishing with a file.

Mark W Pugh
08-06-2015, 4:30 AM
Depending how much bevel you want, I would do it in two passes. I think I have used a 30 deg bit and just adjusted depth to the amount of bevel I want. I just kinda grab one and see what it looks like on a scrap piece of wood.

Also, as you probably remember, you may have to clean the bit every now and then. The contact glue builds up on it.

Another thing, depending on the color and finish of the laminate, the dust/chips can get under router and cause scratches on the laminate surface. That's why I use the plane white sheets from Lowe's, it doesn't show the scratches. I have taped the top surface, but you need to make sure the tape is overlapped in the correct direction so the router won't pull it up.

Larry Frank
08-06-2015, 7:22 AM
I use a 15 degree bit but typically go back and use a sand paper block to soften any sharp edges.

lowell holmes
08-06-2015, 10:46 AM
http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductCategory.aspx?catid=1390

Carbide bits such as these to trim the open runs. Use a coarse file to manually bevel in the corners.

Peter Kelly
08-06-2015, 11:54 AM
Use a mill file to just ease the laminate edge of the top and fine-tune the flush trimming: http://www.wurthwoodgroup.com/Duplex-Laminate-Files-P79353.aspx

Removing too much of the top sheet with a bevel bit looks ugly.

Mark W Pugh
08-06-2015, 6:41 PM
......... use a sand paper block to soften any sharp edges.

Yep, I agree because of extreme sharp edges.

Mark W Pugh
08-06-2015, 6:48 PM
I don't remember the angle, but I do remember always leaving the edge a little bit proud with the bit, and finishing with a file.

Can you please explain this? You leave what edge proud, and how? All bevels I have cut, on laminate tops, cut everything at once. Remember, I'm just an amateur.

Tom M King
08-06-2015, 7:42 PM
This of course is if the piece has a laminate edge. If it's a wood edge, it doesn't matter at all.

Adjust bit depth so the top sheet of laminate leaves a tiny lip protruding ever so slightly beyond the edge piece. If you don't do this, and there is the slightest bump under the edge strip, the bit will take a little gouge into the edge piece. Some laminate has a very thin color layer, and especially if it's a light color, it will leave an obvious brown spot. The bevel is only in the top sheet. A mill file makes quick work out of making the edge perfect.

Vince Shriver
08-06-2015, 8:31 PM
Go to: www.beveledge.com (http://www.beveledge.com)

Then to: How To Installation

Then to: How To Video

Then to: Installation Counter Top/Bevel Edge Video

www.cabinetmakerswarehouse.com also has all the bits and tools you need.