PDA

View Full Version : World's Smallest Circular Saw...

Jim Becker
08-05-2015, 9:58 AM
This caught my eye this morning...a 3D printed "world smallest circular saw"...and it works. (at least it spins the blade) Maybe he can also print out a track for it? LOL :D

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/gadgets/man-3-d-prints-worlds-smallest-circular-saw-it-works-n404021

http://media3.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2015_32/1156446/kiwi-man-lance-abernethy-3d-prints-the-world-smallest-functional-circular-saw-2_70cc2493f7779ba35339b9f24f453ce9.nbcnews-ux-600-480.jpg

Rich Engelhardt
08-05-2015, 10:00 AM
Maybe he can also print out a track for it? Well. it is the right color!

David Ragan
08-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Yes, I had a physicist explain to me this week that some of the machinery or parts that he makes are so many angstroms across, and BTW, are colorless because it is smaller than the wavelenght of light. Cool, right?

Larry Browning
08-05-2015, 12:18 PM
Speaking of 3D printing. I heard on the news the other day that a pharmaceutical company was experimenting with using 3D printing technology to "print" pills that are, for some reason, difficult to manufacture in mass quantities.

George Bokros
08-05-2015, 3:52 PM
Speaking of 3D printing. I heard on the news the other day that a pharmaceutical company was experimenting with using 3D printing technology to "print" pills that are, for some reason, difficult to manufacture in mass quantities.

Wow, if this works the price prescription drugs should fall dramatically. We could print our pills at home. Hmmm a new avenue for the street corner drug business.

Larry Browning
08-05-2015, 4:03 PM
Wow, if this works the price prescription drugs should fall dramatically. We could print our pills at home. Hmmm a new avenue for the street corner drug business.

Hey George,
I've got a bridge in New York I can sell you, cheap!

Jerry Bruette
08-05-2015, 4:39 PM

Article in the Washing Post says the FDA approved the 3D printing of a drug for treating adults and children with epilepsy.

Allan Speers
08-05-2015, 6:22 PM
Well. it is the right color!

- but no dust collection. :(

Chris Padilla
08-05-2015, 7:35 PM
- but no dust collection. :(
Microscopic dust...you won't even notice it! :D

Robert Chapman
08-05-2015, 8:43 PM
3D printing is an amazing technology that is advancing in leaps and bounds! You can now buy a home 3D printer for around three grand. I'm sure that there are or will me some amazing woodworking applications.

Kent A Bathurst
08-05-2015, 10:01 PM
Well. it is the right color!

Agreed. I'm surprised that the world's smallest systainer isn't in the photo also.

David Ragan
08-06-2015, 7:48 AM
My personal opinion is that in 50 years, we/they will be printing clothes-buy the software, throw them out when you're done.

And, food also. the thing there is the micronutrients. but there is a company (probably many) that grow algae in mass quantities-I am not sure, but I think that would get around the micronutrient hurdle. then, all you have to do is put together the carbs, protein, and fats, artificial flavors, and odors, and you have it.

Water is just too big a deal. Your grandchildren will say....'you mean way back they used to spray all that water out into the air, and hope it landed on the ground, and then made it to be absorbed by a plant?? And, they used all that water to grow cotton, feed cattle, etc? Used all that water to get the dirt and grime out of clothes and re-use them?

Dry cleaners?? What is that? all those toxins used in their clothes? Gross!!

Mike Heidrick
08-06-2015, 11:18 AM
You can buy a cheap small printer for $300 if you look hard enough. $3 grand buys the expensive filament deposition based ones. I built a pretty crazy decoupled (nocomputerneeded once you have a sliced set of gcode) 8X8 one for $800 and I bought all nice components and used makerslide aluminum v rail and v bearings. Nema17 steppers are cheap. These electronic parts are all from china so they may not match the "all USA only" ww shops of some members.

Andrew Hughes
08-06-2015, 1:06 PM
Sounds like soil and greens,I think it's gonna happen sooner maybe 5 or 10 years.
We also will travel in inner space vehicles instead of outer space. Something similar to texting and the Internet.