PDA

View Full Version : Aurora Borealis

Blair Swing
08-05-2015, 1:31 AM
This piece is the opposite half of my pecan crotch Lake Superior bowl I gave to my cousin, which is fitting as this piece goes to my Uncle (her dad) who has resided in Alaska for almost 50 years.

I have been experimenting with transtint dyes and having fun with the process. I originally envisioned this piece as having blue sky, some puffy clouds mountains and green rolling hills since it was going to reside in Alaska but the angle of the outer face was too obtuse or acute, (depending on your outlook) and coupled with my almost total lack of ability to transfer that vision onto the wood, and by the end of the night I had a real good back background for my new vision, "Aurora Borealis!" I believe I was better able to capture the second vision!

Finish is general coatings salad bowl finish, wiped on.

Comments and critique as always are appreciated!

mike pockoski
08-05-2015, 9:00 AM
really nice!

Matt Schrum
08-05-2015, 9:31 AM
That turned out great! Very nice form and great colors.

Wes Ramsey
08-05-2015, 12:17 PM
I love the colors! Almost looks iridescent. I've only played with blue, but I may have to buy a few other colors and turn my boys (8 and 5) loose on a few bowls to see what happens.

Brian Kent
08-05-2015, 2:31 PM
I love it. What happens between the 3rd and 4th photo? Are the colors rubbed in or blended in or sanded off?

Olaf Vogel
08-05-2015, 9:10 PM
I love the iridescent look. My wife called it an opal.
I'd be really interested in how you created the blend.

Olaf

Steve Doerr
08-05-2015, 9:34 PM
Looks good. Do you use alcohol or water with your Transtint? Like others interested in your blending process.

Blair Swing
08-05-2015, 9:35 PM
What happens between the 3rd and 4th photo? Are the colors rubbed in or blended in or sanded off?

Forgot probably the most important step! After you get your final shape and have sanded, apply one thick coat Of a good wood pre-stain conditioner (or more if your wood is more porous) and then apply the dye. I have been using a water based minwax pre-stain conditioner. This will prevent some of the blotchiness or overly deep penetration of the dye, and probably is another big reason for the depth of the colors. These dyes, as well as the strong nature of denatured alcohol are fairly strong and can cause reactions in some people, and don't wear clothes you care about and of course gloves.

The transtint dyes are soluble in water or denatured alcohol. I use the denatured. That picture is the second day and is being applied over my previous mountain vision, of which thankfully no pictures exist or it would scare the kids... Once you have accent colors where you want them, you use a spritzer bottle with more denatured alcohol and spritz the alcohol will disperse and diffuse the colors and you wipe away till your happy with the look. You can get a lot more translucent and a bit lighter with more alcohol and hard rubbing in some areas and maybe a bit lighter at your transition points between colors. Very relaxing and therapeutic process after a hard day at work. Also I put a light coat of finish over the first coat, not enough to seal out these dyes, but I think helps to give the finish depth.

I don't believe there is enough sandpaper around to remove these dyes once you commit to that first application (Or at least as I try to make my pieces) I liked the bowl natural, but think this was the right choice. I had some pretty knots that I used CA on to hold it together also and they are hard to see but visible as the dye won't penetrate far (if at all) into the glue.

This is is only my third attempt, but won't be my last. If you get more colors, get your primaries and you can make as many others as you like with separate bottles of alcohol and dropping in different amounts as you would mix any color. Also if you can, Jimmy Clewes has some good DVD's on application techniques.

I I was trying to get another segmented piece done prior to the state fair of Texas drop-off day, but rushed it a bit last year on my finish, and this one is a special one in remembrance of my dad, so I believe I will go out to my shed tonight grab some more pecan of the same vintage and to do another one of these to enter with Marvin the Martian this year and if I can find the right grain pattern keep it on a space theme with Aurora Borealis II (maybe the Aurora will prevent him from blowing up the earth....) will post if I do.