PDA

View Full Version : Veritas Mk II users

Bruce Page
08-20-2005, 6:20 PM
Any tips on how to lay the 9u (1200grit) abrasive on the platten without any air bubbles getting trapped? :o
I've done it 3 time now and I get the cursed bubbles each time. :mad: :mad:

The stupid bubbles make it pretty much useless.

Steve Clardy
08-20-2005, 6:30 PM
Just kinda fold two sides up, and start applying the disc in the middle. Lay one side down at a time. Worked for me.

Mark Singer
08-20-2005, 6:35 PM
Warm it a little...the sun or a hair dryer

Bruce Page
08-20-2005, 10:10 PM
Warm it a little...the sun or a hair dryer
Mark, I’ve tried warming it under a heat lamp and lifting the abrasive back off but the plastic substrate is unforgiving. It seems that you have to absolutely get it right the first time.

Hoa Dinh
08-21-2005, 12:46 AM
Spray water on to the plate. Do a "taco shell" fold of the PSA sand paper, then gently put it down on the plate. Use a J-roller to push the water out from the center.

Also, if you haven't already, get a foot switch for the sharpener. It doesn't make attaching sand paper any easier but sure makes it much easier to flatten the back of the blade.

Sam Blasco
08-22-2005, 9:37 AM
The taco shell approach works very well for me, just don't get greedy. I like to work from the middle out to one side, using a piece of 3/4" UMHC, as a "sissy stick", similar to what you would use when applying pieces with contact cement. I don't move the stick until the section before is as I want it. Sometimes a small air pocket is unavoidable. Pierce it with a pin or a sharp exacto knife and then press it from the outside of the pocket to the hole.

Bruce Page
08-22-2005, 7:59 PM
Thanks guys, I think I have one more 1200 abrasive disk left, I will give the taco shell approach a try.