PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Allen Bolt

Bill Adamsen
08-04-2015, 3:20 PM
Adjusting one of my machines - a machine I've never had to adjust - requires loosening some 5mm allen bolts which were supposed to be torqued to just 15 lbs. But the 5mm Allen key I have was made from a very soft stock (see photo) of unknown origin. Not to mention I'm feeling waaaayyyyy above 15 lbs. So I'm looking for a high strength replacement. In addition to soaking the nuts with pbblaster or similar ... does someone have a recommendation on manufacturer for a very strong Allen key?

There are quite a few past discussions on this topic, of which I've read quite a few ... but nothing provides a specific make.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?18931-It-won-t-Budge-Now-What

Andrew Pitonyak
08-04-2015, 3:29 PM
Give Carbide Processors a call (they offer a discount to members here).

I purchased a bunch from them, and they are much harder then the ones I replaced

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/Bondhus/

If you are unsure about "is it hard enough", ask them, they are pretty knowledgeable and have excellent customer service.

Charles Taylor
08-04-2015, 3:42 PM
Give Carbide Processors a call (they offer a discount to members here).

I purchased a bunch from them, and they are much harder then the ones I replaced

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/Bondhus/

If you are unsure about "is it hard enough", ask them, they are pretty knowledgeable and have excellent customer service.

I've got a T-handle hex set made by Bondhus. I've been happy with them.

Dave Cullen
08-04-2015, 3:52 PM
McMaster-Carr has some high torque Allens. You can buy them individually if you like.

Pat Barry
08-04-2015, 4:19 PM
Maybe some loctite or similar threadlocker on there? Might try to use some lacquer thinner to try and dissolve it, then use your allen wrench

kevin nee
08-04-2015, 4:19 PM
If the allen socket is stripped try pounding a torx biti in and use some vise grips.
then replace the set screw. GOOD LUCK!

Peter Kelly
08-04-2015, 4:55 PM
http://chadstoolbox.com/gedore-6343280-hexagon-allen-key-5-mm-42-z-5
$3.07. Made in Germany.

If the screw is really frozen in there and PB doesn't work you might need an impact bit (and driver) to extract it: http://www.grainger.com/product/PROTO-Impact-Bit-1FM64

Peter Quinn
08-04-2015, 5:34 PM
I've had pretty good luck using an impact driver with some dewalt hex bits I got from the local lumber yard to loosen a few stubborn alien screws. I've used the same idea with an adaptor for a regular socket wrench, it lets you put a lot more torque on the screw than most allen wrenches that small. The hammering action of the impact driver seems to help loosen things up.

Richard Hash
08-04-2015, 5:48 PM
Have you tried heating the surrounding area and using an ice-cube on the allen wrench? Might be enough to break it free...

Ole Anderson
08-04-2015, 5:57 PM
If it is a LockTite issue, heat is supposed to soften it up. If all else fails, try a bigger hammer! Any chance there is a jamb nut under the table? Any auto parts store will have a 5 mm hex for your socket wrench. I have one in my metric tool drawer.

Tom M King
08-04-2015, 6:15 PM
It might take a little butane torch to get heat only on the bolt head. A propane torch flame might be too big. I have one I bought from Lowes for not too much, that I use for working on golf clubs, and it comes in handy for a lot of other things like this too. I like the hex socket for stubborn ones too.

Someone gave me a set of allen wrenches from Horror Fright when he couldn't find the set he borrowed from me. They were only good for seeing how far you can throw them.

Robert Engel
08-04-2015, 6:16 PM
I agree with the poster re: Impact driver with Allen socket adapter.
You don't need to spend $16.50 for one bit, just get a set from HD they will work fine.

And remember, there are impact drivers and there are IMPACT drivers.......
What I'm saying is my DW 1/2 Impact wrench is no comp to my 12V Bosch impact driver.

You can also try one of those impact drivers you hit with a hammer.

Bill Adamsen
08-04-2015, 8:20 PM
Thanks all for the ideas. Went to the local NAPA auto parts store and picked up a 5mm socket. Applied heat in case someone had used loctite, and while cooling added the PB Blaster. That did it! Used the torque-wrench to tighten. Jointer table back in operation.

John Lankers
08-05-2015, 10:45 PM
Glad you got it out.
Another way to deal with a frozen bolt is to tap it with a machinist hammer on the head or the wrench (depending on the type of bolt) while turning it at the same time.

Peter Kelly
08-06-2015, 12:06 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=318940&d=1438715985.jpg

Nice planed surface on that btw. What make of jointer is it?

Bill Adamsen
08-06-2015, 8:53 AM
Nice planed surface on that btw. What make of jointer is it?

Peter:

It is a Knapp (defunct Austrian company) combination machine (410 Combi) with a 16" (410mm) jointer planer (JP). The JP is often setup to run independently, separated from the saw/shaper. Mine is not ... I sought a tight footprint. It is 3-phase.

Pros
The two-sided Leitz "Tersa like" blades for the Wigo head are available, reasonably priced and provide an excellent cut and good life. They are extremely easy to change and setting is trivial. The (planer) height adjustment (manual) is accurate (repeatable) to 1/100th of an inch which is typically good enough for my use. The jointer height adjustment works well. The accuracy of the milling is second to none. It works great and satisfies my milling needs with few wants.

Cons
On occasion I'd prefer a longer jointer bed (infeed) and Newman (or other) spiral head. Noise is the biggest factor. With the dust collection engaged, hearing protection is absolutely required on the jointer. Blade material choices are more limited than Tersa. Spiral and Tersa heads are available but the cost is not insignificant. 16" isn't really big enough for either machine for many of the things I do. It takes time, energy and planning to swap between functions, ideally, I'd have separates ... both at 30" with Newman spiral heads (who wouldn't?).

My Centauro bandsaw (CO800?) has the same planed surface, but some sort of icky rust protection I'm constantly thinking about removing.

Within the past week there was a Knapp available at what I thought was a very good price in Palos Verdes section of LA. (SMC classified and ebay).

Ole Anderson
08-06-2015, 9:24 AM
Can you say aircraft carrier? Sweet.