PDA

View Full Version : CPO Milwaukee reconditioned tool shipped damaged

scott vroom
08-04-2015, 3:03 PM
I just received a Milwaukee 1/2" right angle drill that I ordered from CPO (the plumbers drill, not the Hole Hawg). Price was $149 vs $249 retail....sounded like a good deal.

The drill chuck was filthy inside (gummy sawdust) and the jaws wouldn't close. The tool was pretty beat up as if it had seen a lot of use. The 2 bolts that hold the chrome conversion sleeve had rounded corners. I've purchased a number of CPO tools over the years and they generally look more on the new side. I called Milwaukee tech support and they said the serial number indicates the drill was manufactured in early June 2013.

CPO customer service is taking the drill back at their expense...no issues there. I'm thinking that this was a return to CPO that somehow bypassed the reconditioning and went straight to the shipping department.

CPO offered a replacement but now I'm gun shy. I'm just going to pay $249 and get a new one with the 5 year warranty.

Mike Henderson
08-04-2015, 3:09 PM
I can understand your feelings. I've had good success with reconditioned tools. Too bad you got a lemon.

Mike

John TenEyck
08-04-2015, 3:11 PM
I've had nothing but good luck with CPO recons. I think what happened is probably close to what you thought, and I would have had them ship another recon. But as my 10th grade science teacher used to say "You pay your money and you take your choice.".

It's good to see that CPO took the tool back with no questions. I'm sure they get some returned with a little added mileage.

John

Matt Meiser
08-04-2015, 3:31 PM
I've had good luck with them two. I'd virtually always choose a recon from them over new if available because they've been so nice. Just recently bought a Milwaukee M12 Rotary Hammer (which is a pretty sweet tool!) that way.

Steve Kinnaird
08-04-2015, 3:49 PM
I ordered a reconditioned chainsaw.
It never started and flooded the cylinder with fuel.

Sent it back at their expense for a full refund and borrowed my friends :)

I just ordered a mfg reconditioned GoPro Silver from GoPro. Hope to have better luck with that.

michael langman
08-05-2015, 10:33 AM
I have bought 3 things from cpo, and all were in nice condition. They have a 30 day return policy if not satisfied with the tool, so there is no risk to the buyer. Makita 10" double compound miter saw,325.00, 12V Makita 2.6Ah drill,99.00, and a bosch 1/2" hammer drill, can't recall the price, but very reasonable and also an excellent tool.
Too bad you got a bad tool, and it effected your buying decisions.

Jim Dwight
08-05-2015, 11:49 AM
I also go reconditioned when the price differential is enough. I haven't gotten any tools I was dissatisfied with. One of the best bargains was my Hitachi 12" dual bevel CMS for $150.

My hammer drill is a HF, however. My wife bought me their 10A for about $60 on a big sale a couple years ago. I don't think you can beat that in a reconditioned. Selector switch has to be flipped a couple times sometimes but it is an excellent tool for the price. Goes through brick and even concrete with nearly no effort. Biggest work is just holding it, it is heavy.