PDA

View Full Version : Cedar-Aromatic and a sticky question

Matt Lockard
08-04-2015, 2:59 PM
I made this small oak box and lined it with cedar. The Cedar on the inside is left with no finish so that smell can be enjoyed. However, two of the surfaces on the inside are lacquered. The Manzanita burl handle and the Ancient Kauri on the underside of the Cedar lid. The lacquered interior surfaces are getting kind of sticky. I’m assuming it’s from the cedar fumes. Anyone know if that will that go away?

Thanks,
Matt

318932 318933318934318935318936

Jerry Thompson
08-04-2015, 4:32 PM
Years ago I read the aromatic cedar would damage finishes if one did not open the item, such as a chest, and let out the fumes. I did three chests that had a forgotten finish inside, but I know it was not shellac or lacquer and there has been not problem. I know this helps a lot, sorry.
One might try a web search or go to the Homestead Finishing site and ask.

Robert LaPlaca
08-05-2015, 12:19 PM
Matt, read somewhere along the line, that Cedar somehow inferences with the plasticizers in Nitrocellulose Lacquer and causes exactly the issue you describe, a sticky mess.. Not so sure the issue will go away, unfortunately..

By the way, that's a really handsome box.

Kent A Bathurst
08-05-2015, 3:23 PM
Aromatic cedar floor in a blanket chest finished inside with wipe-on poly over shellac.

No issues.

Matt Lockard
08-05-2015, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. Guess I'll give it a year or so and hope it goes away. Till then maybe ... Juniper? That will give a nice scent.