PDA

View Full Version : Calculating Text Area for Gold Leaf application

John Bion
08-04-2015, 8:15 AM
HI all,
Is there a method of calculating text area in V Carve Pro or another program to help me generate a quote for applying gold leaf in the V Carved text?
Any other ideas? I’ve never done gold leaf before, this is a whole new learning curve on an outdoor oak sign with 5” lettering.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Kind regards,
John

John Bion
08-05-2015, 9:54 AM
HI all,
In case anyone else ever has a similar need: I copy (below) this help from Charlie at Vectric:

If you use the Measure tool in the Drawing menu and set it to Span / Contour Properties you can click on each letter and it will give the Area² of that letter.
It only works with one letter at a time though, and for any letters with an internal shape (such as a,e and o) you need to minus the internal Area from the surrounding area.

Kind regards, John

PS: I find Vectric a great company, on the rare occasion I have had reason to contact them, they have been personal, friendly and resolved the issue, unlike some other software suppliers.

Scott Shepherd
08-05-2015, 11:32 AM
John, I saw this when you posted it and meant to come back and reply. If you've never done gold leafing before, you're in for a treat :) Let's just say that there's no need at all to calculate exact sizes. You'll probably need far more than you think you will :)

Handling gold leaf is an art.

John Bion
08-05-2015, 1:48 PM
HI Steve,
Thanks for your reply; now I’m left wondering what I’m in for.....is it a “treat” or another of those tough learning curves? :) This is one of those “milestone” projects if it comes off for me, but as usual on something you have never done before, quoting is a pig.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Kind regards,
John

Scott Shepherd
08-05-2015, 2:09 PM
It's not "hard", but the trick is picking up the gold leaf and placing it in it's place. There are special wide brushes that you load with static by brushing your arm or hair and then it'll stick to that brush like a magnet and you can place it easier. I don't do it often, but in the times I have done it, I've enjoyed doing it, but it's just a very delicate thing to work with when placing it. Touching it with your finger will rip it into pieces. I tend to have a lot more waste than I'd like but that's my inexperience in using it.

You'll do fine, just be prepared for how delicate that material really is. You can't really open the book they come on, pick a sheet up with your fingers and lay it where you want.

John Bion
08-05-2015, 2:36 PM
Steve, Thanks. I hope to get this work as it puts me central City Square here with good contacts, but if I don’t, I think I will do a bit of experimenting in any case.
Kind regards, John

Joe Pelonio
08-05-2015, 9:23 PM
For a beginner, best start by using patent leaf. It's mounted on tissue and a lot easier to lift and apply. You will want to practice first. Patent leaf works best on smooth surfaces, so it could be that a combination would be good in this case, patent in the flat bottoms of the letters, loose on the sides.

Scott Shepherd
08-05-2015, 9:31 PM
John, it's a great thing to learn! With less and less people doing it, it can help get you business that franchises aren't even offering. YouTube is your friend. Search out a guy from the UK named Dave Smith. Once you watch his work, you'll be hooked.

John Bion
08-06-2015, 4:07 AM
Joe & Steve,
Thanks for the advice. Having spoken to some gold leaf suppliers, they have recommended the transfer type leaf that Joe mentions and of a heavier gauge and at 23.5c. They have also recommended an enamel paint before applying the seize. Providing the router bit is sharp and a good cut is achieved, I assume that for this application, fine sanding of each letter would not be necessary? OK, I’ll go ave a look on YouTube :) Really appreciate your time in answering and encouragement.
Kind Regards,
John

Scott Shepherd
08-06-2015, 8:05 AM
John, here's a taste of what's possible!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJSO2IqqxDw

Scott Shepherd
08-06-2015, 8:07 AM
And some more that show some application of the gold leaf...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=303&v=_cPJO9njZBs

John Bion
08-06-2015, 2:32 PM
I am but a worm ......... A very lowley worm ...:o
thanks for sharing those Steve