PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here restore old rusted farm implements?

Michael Yadfar
08-03-2015, 6:13 PM
I'm looking for advice. In my neighbors woods, I take occasional walks and have came across various horse drawn farm implements. I was always hesitant to ask about taking them because I don't know the guy too well, but he put majority of his property up for sale recently, so I called him up. I told him I saw some of the farm implements, and told him I will pay a few bucks for them or exchange a favor. He invited me over, gave me a tour of the place, had a nice conversation, then he told me he would be happy for me to take them for free, just im on my own (obviously).

With the side story out of the way, most aren't worth my time because I would have to make a path through the woods to pull them out, but there are three I want to save: hay rake, disk harrow, and John Deere sickle bar mower. They've most likely sat there for over 100 years, so they are really rusted to the point there's no paint, but the metal is all solid except for the bottom of the wheels on the hayrake which are gone. I only plan to use these as garden decorations, so I can just hide the rotted out part of the wheels in mulch, or somehow repair it.

After I figure out a plan to get these out of the woods, I plan to prep/fix, prime, and paint these. However, I know nothing about this and own no paint equipment other than sandpaper and house paint/brushes. If someone can recommend step by step on how to do this, I would appreciate it

Jerry Thompson
08-03-2015, 8:27 PM
I don't collect or redo old machinery but I take pictures of them and have several black and white prints I like. I down loaded those two and I will see what I can do with them. If you want to see them PM me and I will send you the files.

Lon Crosby
08-03-2015, 10:46 PM
Depends on what you want to do. No real reason to do anything. Or you can wire brush with an angle grinder, prime with a rust control "paint/primer" and then paint. At that level, spray cans are adequate. The next step up is disassembly and sand blasting. The mower has a rubber tire so probably dates to the 40's. I last used its mate 3 years ago. It still has the sickle bar installed so watch your fingers carefully if the pitman is still solid and attached.

Phil Mueller
08-03-2015, 11:31 PM
I haven't restored farm implements, but you might want to check out Kilz Rust Cap paint. Just need to get the loose stuff off, wash with TSP to remove grease/grime and paint. I've used it on other rusty metal and it seems to be holding up well. Not sure if it comes in a spray can, but maybe the paint store can make up some spray cans for you. Can be tinted to whatever color you want.

Shawn Pachlhofer
08-04-2015, 12:00 AM
I would just leave them rusty.

Michael Yadfar
08-04-2015, 12:00 AM
I was thinking wire brush myself. I feel sandblasting would be the best option, but these aren't really high value items so I don't think it makes sense to go out and buy one. Hopefully I can find a brand name on the hayrake, that's really the key piece here, I'm really disappointed about the wheels being rotted at the bottom. If I find the brand, I would look to match their color scheme, but if not I will probably do John Deere green and yellow. Another thing I have to figure out is how to move it, all I have is a truck, no trailer or loader. I think my best option would be to borrow a trailer and have about four giys lift it

Randy Red Bemont
08-04-2015, 7:11 AM
I would think a good power wash and a little wire brush work then spray paint away. They will look great in the garden. I enjoy the look of the old stuff.

Red

Ole Anderson
08-04-2015, 9:05 AM
I would either leave it rusty or go the whole 9 yards and sandblast it then use an automotive epoxy primer on it and then whatever topcoat you wanted, otherwise after a few years you are battling rust again. But sandblasting requires a really good compressor unless you want to spend all day blasting. You could check a rental store. But first I would Google "farm implement restoration" for forums of folks that to just that.

Randy Red Bemont
08-04-2015, 9:52 AM
There may not be much "meat" left to sandblast. Paint over power washed rust will last many years until it needs to be re-coated or left to rust again. I have an old plow that has been done as described and no rust has come through over several years. Just a thought.

Red