PDA

View Full Version : Tub of tools from a sunday yard sale, and a

steven c newman
08-03-2015, 11:33 AM
question. In beside the pliers, wrenches, and screwdrivers was this little item...
Overall length is about9", counting the handle. Flat on both faces. Edges haven't been safed. Yeah, the handle has a split..
ed
The stitching is very random, and seems hand-made.
Not a singlemakers mark on it, though. A splash of white paint on the handle. It does cut, though.
As for the tub this and a few other items came in
There was another two of cardboard with this. About $11 or so...
BTW, ever hear of a KNIPEX Cobra?
That red & Black handled one. To adjust the width you want, you pushed a button and slid the jaws open or close
Sitting behind the Proto that also was in the tub.

Still cleaning and doing inventory on this pile of stuff. Just wondering about that rasp...:confused:

Ray Selinger
08-03-2015, 12:44 PM
Knipex is the best quality available, my son ,an electrician, rates them much better than Klein. The Germans make a pump plier that's nicer to use than Chanelocs. Like the old pump pliers they have a slot, instead of one side, it's both sides. The pliers end up narrower and lighter and grip very tight. They alone rate a YOU SUCK

steven c newman
08-04-2015, 1:27 PM
Ok, one ID'ed. The other channeloc is a Proto No. 242. Chrome is worn a bit on it, though.

As for that rasp-like thingy. has a slight bend to it. No markings, teeth lok hand stitched. Teeth are still sharp, too. may add a better, non-split, handle?

Haven't priced the Proto pliers...yet.

Might have gotten my $11 worth?

Kent A Bathurst
08-04-2015, 2:02 PM
My Knipex stuff is my go to pile, especially that size Cobra - it gets used most often. I have another larger one also, plus various side-cutters, bolt cutters, various pliers, etc.

A close friend worked for a company that carried this line of items for a few years. Never sold very well, so they got out of it, and sold off their display stuff. I got a dozen+ tools at, like, 25 cents on the $.;)

The pliers wrench is the cat's pajamas [picture is the 6"; I have the 7"]

http://www.tme.eu/html/gfx/ramka_7927.jpg

Pat Barry
08-04-2015, 3:56 PM
Yeah, the handle has a split..... A splash of white paint on the handle.
Just wondering about that rasp...:confused:

Looks to me like someone took a no longer needed paintbrush handle and re-purposed it for your rasp.

Tom Vanzant
08-04-2015, 5:46 PM
I have several file handles like that, all red plastic.

lowell holmes
08-04-2015, 6:44 PM
I guess I was the only one that couldn't realize that is a rasp. Is it equal to an Ariou?
I thought old broom sticks were for rasp handles. :)

steven c newman
08-04-2015, 11:37 PM
Well, in addition to those tools listed above..
The middle one is by Kobalt..5/16", Shorty is a #2 phillips
1/4", 9/16', and a 3/4" by Huskey....
Wire strippers. There was a scraper of sorts
The chisel was a dollar from another sale. The hammer is brass. The scraper behind them is a single edge razor blade type.
Did I mention the tub came along? might be able to soak a few rusty tools in it?

$11 for this mess. There was a second, cardboard box of Hardware parts. A third with mainly some junk stuff. Tossed the junk in the boxes, kept the good stuff. Not bad for one yard sale..