PDA

View Full Version : PC by day, Mac by night?

Matt Meiser
08-03-2015, 9:27 AM
I use a PC 8-10 hours a day at work, mostly in a docking station with dual 24" displays and a full keyboard. My home laptop is waiting for Dell to visit for second time in two weeks and I've been wanting to get something slimmer for a while anyway so that might be a sign now is the time. I've kind of narrowed it down to a Dell XPS13 with touch, a Microsoft Surface Pro 3, or a MacBook Air. The Dell gets great reviews but on my list gets dinged for the poor service on the current machine, though long term I've had good luck with them. The Surface the huge pro is tablet mode and the pen, but gets dinged on my list for its keyboard and the kickstand configuration which some reviewers say makes it less desirable as a lap-top laptop and I use it in a recliner quite a bit. The MacBook of course is a whole different ecosystem, plus the comparable machine to the other two only has 4GB of ram and no touch screen. The pro of course is the legendary service. It seems like the other Ultrabook options are not i5's which is why I've pretty much focused on these three options.

My primary uses will be web browsing (Google Chrome either way) and Microsoft Office (mainly OneNote and Excel) which used to be a ding for the Mac but Office 2016 is now out for Office 365 subscribers for the Mac and seems to get good reviews. OneDrive would be my cloud service of choice since I have 1TB of storage there with my Office 365 subscription.

So question for those that switch between PC and Mac--do you find it frustrating to change OS's day and night? Changing my Day OS isn't even remotely an option before anyone mentions that.

Scott Shepherd
08-03-2015, 9:37 AM
So question for those that switch between PC and Mac--do you find it frustrating to change OS's day and night? Changing my Day OS isn't even remotely an option before anyone mentions that.

I don't find it frustrating at all. Several years ago, I took, after using PC's since they first came out on a daily basis, I bought a used Macbook Pro for personal use. Shortly after that, I bought an iMac for work and another Macbook Pro for work. My iMac at work is networked to a network drive that all our files are on, and I create files all day long on my iMac, as well as another employee that creates on anyone iMac. The machines that run the files, wide format printers, cnc routers, lasers, etc, are all hooked to Windows machines. It's seamless to save the file from the Mac, open it on the PC and get the job done.

I don't run Office 365, but have Office for the Mac. It appears to work well, although I don't use it too often.

Frank Drew
08-03-2015, 10:43 AM
Matt,

I use PC at work and an iMac at home and, honestly, I don't notice the difference in any meaningful way. That is, there are differences but they're not particularly bothersome and don't slow me down or anything. I mainly us the home computer for email and browsing the web.

Daniel Rode
08-03-2015, 10:48 AM
I switch between PC, Mac, IOS (phone, ipad) and sometimes Linux. I often choose apps that are available on all platforms. Chrome rather than IE, for example. I use Evernote rather the Onenote. I use IOS and Mac Mail & Calendar in place of Outlook except on the PC where I use Outlook. Word processing is pretty easy. Google Docs, Open Office, etc. all work well in conjunction with Office. Spreadsheets and presentations are not so simple. Reading them is no problem, but editing them is more complex and less predictable.

It's not much of a issue for me. I rarely create work spreadsheets on my Mac. If I need to do do something I'm able to use Remote Desktop over VPN to access my work PC. I find the "2x" RDP client works better than Microsoft RDP on Mac.

Give a choice, I'd use a Mac at work and home. While I think MS Office is very good, I find little value in Windows.

Jim Becker
08-03-2015, 9:15 PM
Matt, I bounce back and forth between MacOS and Win7 on my BYOD Work Macbook Pro r13 all day long. I honestly don't have any issues with that; "in general" things work similarly and your mind easily jumps to adjust when there are minor differences. More and more of what I do for work can be done purely in MacOS now, too. :) And the IT folks actually try to help since so many folks have ponied up their own money for Macs (BYOD), including many executives. LOL

I've been using the Office 2016 on both my Macs since it was released (Office 365 subscription) and it's been solid. Outlook "2016" has actually been out for sometime now. Windows users will have a new Office version available in a month or three, from what I hear. Mac just got it first because it was much farther behind.

Mike Cutler
08-04-2015, 5:31 AM
Matt

I've been going back and forth for a long time now, and it's never been a problem. MS Office is a little bit different on a Mac, but not any morevdifferent than going back and forth between different rev's of Office.

John McClanahan
08-04-2015, 7:59 AM
My opinion on touchscreen is, don't spend any extra money to get one. I have a Panasonic Toughbook with a touchscreen (the kind that doesn't require a stylus) and I find reaching up to touch the screen repeatedly is tiring and slower than a trackpad.
When Apple refused to add a touchscreen to their laptops they knew what they were doing.

John

Bill ThompsonNM
08-04-2015, 8:46 AM
I use windows at work, and windows , a Mac or Linux at home no problems switching between them though Linux and the Mac sometimes make me more annoyed at Windows, particularly windows update taking forever and windows printing being a pita when I upgrade printers. B

Matt Meiser
08-04-2015, 9:13 AM
I've pretty much decided I don't need touch, unless its convertible. Being able to use the pen would be a nice feature. That drives the price of the Dell XPS13 down to $1100. Still have a hangup with them over the service on the current machine though that is going to be tough to get over in my mind. Looks like they might have only shipped half the parts for my "next day" support call though the second package could just be CDs or a product key. We'll see today, maybe.

Is 4GB ram enough for a Mac? 8GB Macbook Air is available but special order, about 2 weeks out.

Best Buy has the Surface Pro 3 in stock and a 15-day full refund policy so I'm seriously thinking of taking one for a 2 week test drive. But then I also found the HP x360 which they also stock in the same price range. More of a laptop that can work as a (heavy) tablet in a pinch instead of a light tablet that can work as a laptop in a pinch. But you can buy a pen, lay the thing flat on a table and take notes which is what attracts me to the surface. I already have an iPad mini for when I want a very light tablet (which the SP3 doesn't really qualify as either.)

Ole Anderson
08-04-2015, 9:13 AM
I agree on the touchscreen. Might work great for a waiter to punch in an order, but sitting down for long periods IMHO you are better off with most any other way of communicating with your computer. I am a PC guy with an iPhone. Trying to comment on a forum or post even a long sentence by touch is frustrating. But then I am all thumbs.

Scott Hearn
08-04-2015, 9:41 AM
Yes it is frustrating. Because after about 5 minutes on a Mac you are kicking your own butt for not going to Mac sooner. Yes they cost more. But they will last for several years, never need rebooted, don't need anti-virus (yet anyway), you never pay for a O/S update and the screen looks 10 times better than any windows machine I ever had.

I bought a mid 2011 iMac and it's still running along just fine. I generally got about 1.5 years out of a windows machine before it needed a clean install to fix all the bugs it would develop. I would have already been through at least 1 windows machine for certain depending on how willing I was to nurse it and reinstall and I'd probably be close to looking for a 3rd now. So I've really saved money on the iMac not to mention time. They practically configure themselves, they just work like they are supposed to without all the windows headaches that you shouldn't have to endure.

Gerry Grzadzinski
08-04-2015, 10:58 AM
Most off the shelf Windows machines are built to be as inexpensive as possible. Build a custom windows machine who's cost is comparable to a mac, and it will be usable for many years.
My last Windows machine was built in 2007, and I just replaced it in January. It was still as fast as a 1 year old lower end Dell or similar.

Peter Kelly
08-04-2015, 5:44 PM
Most off the shelf Windows machines are built to be as inexpensive as possible. Build a custom windows machine who's cost is comparable to a mac, and it will be usable for many years.Completely true. Try putting together a Windoze box with similar specs to any Mac and you end up with about the same cost if not more. The hardware is all pretty much the same anymore.

The ChromeBook Pixel (https://store.google.com/product/chromebook_pixel_2015) seems not bad as long as you don't need to travel with it.

Matt Meiser
08-04-2015, 9:18 PM
Well it was a hard decision but I'm currently setting up my new HP Spectre x360 with Windows 10. Like it so far. We went to Best Buy and I checked out a Macbook Pro 13 with an i5, 8GB RAM, and a 250GB SSD, the Surface Pro 3 with the same specs, and the HP with the same specs except an i7. Its not a spectacular tablet but will work as a notepad on a table which is my most likely tablet scenario where I wouldn't use my iPad Mini. I bought the active stylus pen for that use. Seems to be a great laptop in laptop mode.

Jim Becker
08-05-2015, 10:06 AM
For future reference, if you don't get any Apple discounts through employer benefits, B&H Photo in NYC has excellent prices on Mac products. That said, enjoy your new computer!

Greg R Bradley
08-05-2015, 10:50 AM
Macs work great with 4Gb for anything up to using Photoshop to edit 100Mb files.

For home use a Mac with i3 and 4Gb is easily equal to a consumer PC with i5 and 8Gb.

Jerome Stanek
08-05-2015, 11:11 AM
3 of my friends do just the opposite they use high end apples at work and high end pcs at home. one had his pc in to try and the pc worked better and faster then the apples

Brian Ashton
08-07-2015, 11:01 AM
I use a PC 8-10 hours a day at work, mostly in a docking station with dual 24" displays and a full keyboard. My home laptop is waiting for Dell to visit for second time in two weeks and I've been wanting to get something slimmer for a while anyway so that might be a sign now is the time. I've kind of narrowed it down to a Dell XPS13 with touch, a Microsoft Surface Pro 3, or a MacBook Air. The Dell gets great reviews but on my list gets dinged for the poor service on the current machine, though long term I've had good luck with them. The Surface the huge pro is tablet mode and the pen, but gets dinged on my list for its keyboard and the kickstand configuration which some reviewers say makes it less desirable as a lap-top laptop and I use it in a recliner quite a bit. The MacBook of course is a whole different ecosystem, plus the comparable machine to the other two only has 4GB of ram and no touch screen. The pro of course is the legendary service. It seems like the other Ultrabook options are not i5's which is why I've pretty much focused on these three options.

My primary uses will be web browsing (Google Chrome either way) and Microsoft Office (mainly OneNote and Excel) which used to be a ding for the Mac but Office 2016 is now out for Office 365 subscribers for the Mac and seems to get good reviews. OneDrive would be my cloud service of choice since I have 1TB of storage there with my Office 365 subscription.

Ive got a macbook thats running yosimate and running xp, 7 and 10 (and was briefly runnjng 8 but it sucked badly, even more than mac's mountain lion) in a virtual envr and i dont find any problems switching between all of them mutiple times a day. Office for mac still sucks so i go with win10 and office there. Still have office 2007 running in xp and seven. Since installing win 10 i can see the end of xp and most likely 7 reasonably soon.

It all depends on your mental flexability. I know a few who cant switch. They get hung up on, what i consider, the minor diffs between mac and windows. To me both are essentially the same just slightly diff arrangements, though i think office for mac sucks by comparison.

Before you buy a mac you need to take a long hard look at the new ones. For me their new confiģ is a deal breaker. Theres only one port for everything, including power. Ill be most likely going dell next.

So to sum up YMMV.

Shawn Pixley
08-08-2015, 11:37 AM
For years I used a Wintel machine at work (required) and a Mac at home. I can make both work. General comments: the PC's required much more maintenance. They were much less reliable (crashing multiple times per day) and never lasted long (2 years?). There were many more options of software outside of some specialty software (graphics, scientific, some specialty math). Our IS department customized some internal services to be specific on our operating system and on our network services. This limited choices of machines, software, etc...

My Mac at home was more reliable and easier to use. There were fewer software options (especially games and controller / interface). The Mac's lasted longer and required much less maintenance but they are difficult internally modify. They weren't allowed on my company's network until recently.

Now I have a Mac at work. I need to run Parallels and our PC common environment to access some central programs and web services (cusomized to not work open browser-?????).

Bottom line: either way works. Me, I prefer Macs as I like the intuitive nature and elegant simplicity. I do not write code nor modify software. I have a staff member who is my genius in executing the queries when anayzing our database (120+M data elements and ever growing, refreshed daily, and weekly "snapshots" for historical / statistical analysis - large data sets but not huge). The data is too big to on a PC or be examined by Excel. He works on a PC, I work on my Mac. Both of us are happy. However, I think my data example is outside the common experience.

Shawn Pixley
08-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Ive got a macbook thats running yosimate and running xp, 7 and 10 (and was briefly runnjng 8 but it sucked badly, even more than mac's mountain lion) in a virtual envr and i dont find any problems switching between all of them mutiple times a day. Office for mac still sucks so i go with win10 and office there. Still have office 2007 running in xp and seven. Since installing win 10 i can see the end of xp and most likely 7 reasonably soon.

It all depends on your mental flexability. I know a few who cant switch. They get hung up on, what i consider, the minor diffs between mac and windows. To me both are essentially the same just slightly diff arrangements, though i think office for mac sucks by comparison.

Before you buy a mac you need to take a long hard look at the new ones. For me their new confiģ is a deal breaker. Theres only one port for everything, including power. Ill be most likely going dell next.

So to sum up YMMV.

The single port will not be overly challenging. It really simplifies docking / monitors on my Mac Air.

Brian Ashton
08-10-2015, 12:16 AM
The single port will not be overly challenging. It really simplifies docking / monitors on my Mac Air.

Challenging isn't an issue but having to replace all my other hardware to suite them isn't something I'm prepared to do simply because apple thinks they're right and all their minions must follow without question. In the past there has always been a way of circumventing their imposing ways but that seems to be coming to an end with the new macbook, or more likely too much of a hassle. I don't think you're even allowed to crack it open for any reason. My present mac is black listed (not exaggerating). The apple pee-on recorded the serial number and said it couldn't be worked on by apple ever again. What the unforgivable sin was, I took the battery out when it died.

Shawn Pixley
08-10-2015, 9:09 PM
Challenging isn't an issue but having to replace all my other hardware to suite them isn't something I'm prepared to do simply because apple thinks they're right and all their minions must follow without question. In the past there has always been a way of circumventing their imposing ways but that seems to be coming to an end with the new macbook, or more likely too much of a hassle. I don't think you're even allowed to crack it open for any reason. My present mac is black listed (not exaggerating). The apple pee-on recorded the serial number and said it couldn't be worked on by apple ever again. What the unforgivable sin was, I took the battery out when it died.

I have a dock that connects through the Thunderbolt cable. On it, ethernet, two mointors, iphone / iPad sync cable, firewire and speaker phone. The keyboard, mouse and earphone are bluetooth.

Bill George
10-21-2015, 5:46 PM
I have been on PC forever, and I am getting tired of this Windows 10 thing, I can handle deleting it and turning of automatic upgrades, but my poor wife is afraid IF she does not upgrade bad things will happen.

I have a used MacBook Pro coming, the mid 2010 model with a i7 processor plus new battery installed, and I will upgrade to 8 Gb RAM and maybe even to a SSD .

I do not want to run Parallels so is there a program equal to Corel X6 I can purchase? Will Adobe take Corel files or is there something cheaper or better for just designing for the laser and my 3D printer?

William Adams
10-21-2015, 6:21 PM
A new vector graphics / Bézier curve drawing program for later versions of Mac OS X is Serif’s Affinity Designer, which is to some extent modeled after FreeHand: https://affinity.serif.com/

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/designer/

Things which I like when using Mac OS X

- Miller column file browser
- Sidebar
- Services
- drag-drop into file dialog boxes
- AppleScript
- Terminal.app
- control-key emacs text-editing shortcuts
- pervasive support for PDF
- opensource programs which use Apple’s programming environment such as TeXshop and Flexisheet

Things which I miss from Windows when using my Mac:

- active stylus on a tablet screen — one of these days I’ll have to break down and get a Wacom Cintiq
- better integration of X Window apps using Cygwin

I really wish Apple would improve XQuartz further and make a tablet machine (or that I’d win an auction for an Axiotron Modbook).

Bill George
10-21-2015, 7:37 PM
I did find a product that Autodesk just purchased and re-named AutoCAD Graphic for the Mac.

http://graphic.autodesk.com/mac/

Has anyone heard of or used? I use Corel X6 all the time.

Kent Adams
10-21-2015, 8:13 PM
Matt, I have a PC and 3 Macs. The Macs run windows better than the PC I have, which is a high end PC. Mac's retain their value very well. I recently sold a 2006 Macbook Pro for $600. New it was $1900. Try selling a PC that is 9 years old for a third of the new price :D

Kent Adams
10-21-2015, 8:21 PM
Bill, if you need that program, you can run Windows natively on a Mac through the bootcamp program. However, Parallels is much better than it used to be and works great.

roger wiegand
10-22-2015, 8:41 AM
I go back and forth all day long, have some Windows only programs that I run under VMWare on my Mac. Just bought my wife a new MacBook Pro so I can get out of the Windows desktop support business at home. Hate dealing with stuff like the current situation where Windows insists my copy is not legit and won't download any updates on one hand and in the system control panel says it is properly activated with the product key that came with the machine on the other.

I really have come to enjoy the painless integration across Mac, iPad and phone that Apple provides. All of my information is on all of my devices--particularly calendar, reminders, and text messages-- without any fuss or bother.

Tom Stenzel
10-22-2015, 6:21 PM
Going from Windows to a Mac and back is a breeze. For years I was Windows by day, CP/M by night. You don't have a Wordstar 3.3 converter? How did you ever get by?

Real word processors use dot commands. Now that you mention it, no, I never did recover.

-Tom

Mike Hollingsworth
10-22-2015, 6:34 PM
I spent some time speaking to my buddy's sister at his wedding yesterday. She works at IBM. That venerable company is turning to Macs as they've found like everyone else that expensive IT support is rarely needed for Macs. Times they are a changin'.

Jim Becker
10-23-2015, 6:20 PM
Bill, if you need that program, you can run Windows natively on a Mac through the bootcamp program. However, Parallels is much better than it used to be and works great.
Agree. Bootcamp is the simple way to just "dual boot" either MacOS or Windows, but Parallels 11 (or VMWare Fusion) are pretty good systems, especially with current generation Macs and MacOS. I use Parallels on my BYOD work machine to handle the few remaining corporate applications that I must use Windows for and it's nearly seamless. The only reason I still use Windows via Parallels on my personal iMac is for Quicken...and that need will go away once Intut pulls their head out of their you-know-what and gets loan amortization into the MacOS Quicken product.