PDA

View Full Version : Bosch dishwasher

Joel Goodman
08-02-2015, 8:04 PM
I am replacing a dishwasher and am looking at the Bosch 300 series and the 500 series. Anyone have any input on whether the 500 is worth the extra dollars? It has an additional drawer at the top for spatulas and the like and is rated slightly quieter (2db). I have had good luck in a vacation house with a Bosch so I am settled on that. The Kenmore that was in developed a small crack in the tub and is useless.

Paul McGaha
08-02-2015, 8:35 PM
Hi Joel,

Our last dishwasher is from Kitchenaid. We're happy with it.

PHM

Bob Vavricka
08-02-2015, 8:51 PM
We installed a Bosch 500 series with our kitchen remodel and are extremely happy with it. It really is the quietest dishwasher I have been around. My wife loves the top silverware, etc. tray. It does take a little extra time to lay the silverware in the tray, but it does include two regular silverware racks. The top tray can also be used for things like spatulas as you mentioned. You will have to decide whether it is worth the extra money, but we have been really pleased with ours. I have not been around a 300 series Bosch so I don't have a point or reference for comparison of the two.

Kent A Bathurst
08-03-2015, 12:57 AM
Put a 300 in our Michigan house. Then 8 years later we moved to Atlanta.

There was a dishwasher already in the house. Not for long. Had it replaced with a Bosch 300.

I don't know that you will actually notice the 2 decibel differential - - this thing is really quiet. And, it does a great job of washing the dishes. I would not have anything else.

If the 500 attracts you, that's fine -- - just stick with this brand and you will never be disappointed.

Glenn Clabo
08-03-2015, 3:00 AM
Bought a new old house 5 months ago and installed a 500. Love it. Adjustable rack is what sold us.

Dick Strauss
08-03-2015, 4:47 PM
Bosch 300 here...we love it. We can have a conversation next to it or watch tv with the dishwasher running 10' away with no problem hearing the tv dialog. The 300 is so much more quiet than most other I've heard and used. Either way, you should be in good shape.

Shawn Pixley
08-03-2015, 6:12 PM
I think we have the 800 and we love it. It was that or the Miele.

Art Mann
08-03-2015, 7:28 PM
I am not sure which Bosch model we have but it beeps relentlessly at the end of its cycle and there is no way to turn it off other than to open the door. This noise serves no useful purpose and is exceedingly annoying. Also, it does not clean as effectively as the unreliable Kitchen Aid it replaced.

Glenn Clabo
08-03-2015, 7:36 PM
I am not sure which Bosch model we have but it beeps relentlessly at the end of its cycle and there is no way to turn it off other than to open the door. This noise serves no useful purpose and is exceedingly annoying. Also, it does not clean as effectively as the unreliable Kitchen Aid it replaced.
it beeps to tell you to open the door so it will dry completely. Otherwise the steam from cleaning stays trapped and never dries...especially plastics.

Matt Meiser
08-03-2015, 8:40 PM
The manual explains how to shut off the beep.

Art Mann
08-03-2015, 9:03 PM
it beeps to tell you to open the door so it will dry completely. Otherwise the steam from cleaning stays trapped and never dries...especially plastics.

I read that in the manual but I am not interested in damaging my cabinets by exposing the frame to very hot and heavy steam every time we wash dishes. I have already had to repair the varnish once. The dishes air dry just fine at room temperature after the interior has cooled down and the door is opened slightly. I will have to check the manual as Matt suggested to find instructions on how to stop the obnoxious noise.

Jim Becker
08-03-2015, 9:12 PM
Went to buy a Bosch and came home with a KitchenAid...which had a bigger interior and better arrangement for our needs. Bosch does make a nice machine, however.

Lori Kleinberg
08-03-2015, 9:17 PM
We have a Bosch, don't know which model. It was so quiet we had to make sure it was actually working. Does a fabulous job cleaning.

Glenn Clabo
08-03-2015, 9:43 PM
I read that in the manual but I am not interested in damaging my cabinets by exposing the frame to very hot and heavy steam every time we wash dishes. I have already had to repair the varnish once. The dishes air dry just fine at room temperature after the interior has cooled down and the door is opened slightly. I will have to check the manual as Matt suggested to find instructions on how to stop the obnoxious noise.
http://www.ehow.com/how_12105050_stop-bosch-dishwasher-beeping-done.html

julian abram
08-03-2015, 9:56 PM
We purchased a 300 series a few months ago. It's been great, cleans & dries the dishes well, extremely quit, can't hear it running. We looked over the 500 series, seems like they were about $300+ more. We just wanted a basic dishwasher without all the extra cycles and bells & whistles. 300 series was the right choice for our needs.

Art Mann
08-03-2015, 11:02 PM
http://www.ehow.com/how_12105050_stop-bosch-dishwasher-beeping-done.html

I did the procedure and although I haven't run the dishwasher again, I believe I have stopped the noise.Thank you so much for providing the information without having to hunt up the owner's manual.

paul cottingham
08-04-2015, 1:59 AM
Just bought a 300, i believe. I couldnt care less about how loud my dishwasher is, but it is very quiet. I do care about ease of installation (easy) and how well it cleans dishes (very.)

so i recommend one without reservation.

ryan paulsen
08-04-2015, 7:07 AM
We have one going in today, good timing with this post!

Al Launier
08-04-2015, 8:49 AM
Just had a Model RF30HBEDBSR/AA installed, but haven't used it yet. Don't know if I should expect a "beeping" situation as described above. The dB is claimed to be 44, so I exprect it will be very quiet.

Brian Elfert
08-04-2015, 10:53 AM
Just bought a 300, i believe. I couldnt care less about how loud my dishwasher is, but it is very quiet. I do care about ease of installation (easy) and how well it cleans dishes (very.)

I think you would care about dishwasher noise levels if you had the cheapest model available like in my first (and only) apartment. You could wake the dead in the next city when you ran the dishwasher. I could hear the dishwashers from surrounding apartments when other tenants used them.

David B. Morris
08-04-2015, 11:14 AM
When we had our kitchen redone we got an 800 series 42dBA model. The top utensil rack is a definite plus and I now wouldn't want a DW without one, but otherwise the machine has been underwhelming. It actually is less quiet than the upper-end 5-year-old Kenmore it replaced. The arrangement of tines makes it awkward to load (this is quite subjective, of course); you have to clean the filter often because it does not have a built in food grinder, which the Kenmore did (but was still quieter!). This also means you have to carefully scrape any crumbs or other tiny bits from your plates. We are careful about all this, and use the right detergent, but overall this machine gets dishes clean less reliably than the Kenmore did.
I looked into DWs for my parents a while ago, and at that time KitchenAid was the only brand that still made models with food grinders. If I had it to do over, I would go with one of those.

Mark Blatter
08-04-2015, 1:20 PM
Our DW died about two years ago and we weren't ready to change out all the appliances, so we bought a cheap used on the local listings for $25. Wife didn't like it so she sold it for $40 and found a different one for $30. We used it for almost 18 months and we were ready to replace all appliances, so the wife sold that one for $40. She is Scots by the way.

The one we bought was a floor model at the Blue Borg. It is a Kitchenaid, but a top of the line model (don't know which) but the wife got them to sell it to us for $475 and it normally goes for around $1500. It is the best DW we have ever had. You can stand next to it and not know it is running, it is that quiet. Dishes come clean that we would never have loaded in any DW before without pre-washing them.

The Scots, you got to love them.

paul cottingham
08-04-2015, 1:45 PM
I think you would care about dishwasher noise levels if you had the cheapest model available like in my first (and only) apartment. You could wake the dead in the next city when you ran the dishwasher. I could hear the dishwashers from surrounding apartments when other tenants used them.

We had a cheap kitchenaid before this one. It was loud. I put myself thru university and grad school working in a commercial kitchen; so loud is relative. I only brought it up because the salesman kept talking about how quiet it was, even though we kept saying we didnt care about that.

Matt Meiser
08-04-2015, 2:03 PM
We bought the Ascenta model that is one below the 300 this spring. Seems to be everything a normal Bosch is but maybe a little more plastic and a little less insulation. Still too quiet to tell if the dishwasher is running and still washes great. Got it on sale almost $100 off, used a coupon Lowes sent us in the mail and the guy took another 10% off. Then our gas company gave us a $50 rebate and I sold the old Kenmore one for $50 on Craigslist. Worked out nicely.

Joel Goodman
08-05-2015, 12:57 AM
Thanks for all the info!