PDA

View Full Version : What kind of wood is this

jared herbert
08-02-2015, 5:03 PM
A friend that lives on Maui sent me box of pen blanks, some were labeled, this one was not. The blank was basically half creamy white and the other half was a nice pinkish red color. This blank may or may not be Hawaiian in origin. Some of the blanks were but I know some were not. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance Jared

jared herbert
08-02-2015, 5:08 PM
This is another picture that shows the color a little better.
A friend that lives on Maui sent me box of pen blanks, some were labeled, this one was not. The blank was basically half creamy white and the other half was a nice pinkish red color. This blank may or may not be Hawaiian in origin. Some of the blanks were but I know some were not. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance Jared

Bruce Pratt
08-02-2015, 5:28 PM
If it is not a tropical, it might be either eastern red cedar or yew, both have cream-white sapwood and reddish heartwood.

jared herbert
08-02-2015, 6:42 PM
thanks for the reply. I know it is not eastern red cedar. I have worked with that stuff before and I know that is not what it is. jared

Ben Pierce
08-02-2015, 7:52 PM
Is it hard? Looks kind of like hickory or pecan, but who knows?

jared herbert
08-02-2015, 8:17 PM
The wood did not seem to be hard. It sanded and finished very well.

Ben Pierce
08-02-2015, 9:09 PM
Also could be any one of many different white woods w/ a bit of the inner bark.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-02-2015, 9:47 PM
If you had a bigger unfinished piece, that would help, but I personally don't think that does not look like any of the "local" trees that we have. But my knowledge is not that exetensive concerning trees......

Nice pen!

Jim Sevey
08-04-2015, 12:37 AM
I'm gonna go with ash juniper. That would not be growing in the islands but it looks exactly like that. It's all over the Texas hill country.

Dick Strauss
08-04-2015, 9:12 AM
Flaming Box Elder possibly...?