PDA

View Full Version : Snake Excrement - Tool Cover

Andrew Duncan
08-02-2015, 10:29 AM
My workshop is a stand alone building sited on the edge of some woods next to a farm field in SE Virginia. I share the shop with a black snake or two. The snakes keep the field mice under control and generally stay quite out of the way and we've happily coexisted for many years - untill now. Unfortunately one of the snakes, from a rafter above the table saw, took a runny dump right in the middle of the saw with resultant splatter covering about 4 square feet. As I had been away for some time, much rust/corrosion was the result.

The shop is not heated or cooled unless I'm using it. I keep the tools well waxed and have never had any rust problems before this incident. Never have used any tool cover because I didn't think I had a problem that needed one and because I have the idea that covering things that can get condensation is counter productive.

Is there a tool cover that will protect against ariel snake attack while not creating it's own problem of holding condensation in?

glenn bradley
08-02-2015, 11:13 AM
Breathable tool covers are available and are breathable for just the reasons you state. HTC has some. (http://www.tools-plus.com/htc-covers.html) I use painters tarps BUT, I do not leave the tools covered for an extended period of time so my requirement is different.

David Nelson1
08-02-2015, 11:49 AM
For what its worth a cat would be a better investment! :eek:

Jamie Buxton
08-02-2015, 11:59 AM
Now there is a woodshop problem you don't see every day!:D
How 'bout making a cover with plywood -- maybe 1/8th inch. Cleats front rear rest on the rip-fence rails, not on the cast iron. And you could likely make a resting spot on the blade insert -- it isn't made from cast iron. Heck, you rest the cover on the tips of the saw blade.

Bruce Page
08-02-2015, 12:22 PM
If this is a first time event that may or may not happen again I would clean up the mess and not worry about it. Depending on climate conditions, covering up for future snake poop bombs could make things worse.
Or get a cat to keep the mice under control. :)

mark kosse
08-02-2015, 9:27 PM
I'd cover the top with osb or my favorite, shiny cardboard, (aka a tv box). I've found both to work very well to stop rust and they protect from errant damage. You do have to drop the blade though. I posted years ago about using tyvek but it's a bit expensive.

Peter Quinn
08-02-2015, 9:44 PM
these have always looked interesting to me.

http://www.toolclad.com

Dave Cav
08-02-2015, 11:29 PM
Go to Harbor Freight and get a canvas dropcloth.

Frank Drew
08-03-2015, 11:18 AM
I had a real problem with wasp excrement on work I was varnishing; even one "flaw" is enough to mar a finish.

Charlie MacGregor
08-03-2015, 2:27 PM
Could you not apply a plywood shield to the rafters just over the table saw?

Dave Cullen
08-03-2015, 3:28 PM
these have always looked interesting to me.

http://www.toolclad.com

I like that idea, think I'll buy one. Thanks.

Tom Deutsch
08-03-2015, 3:54 PM
For what its worth a cat would be a better investment! :eek:
Ugh. I'm having to rebuild a wooden jointer stand right now because the guy I bought the jointer and stand from had a cat. PeeYew! Cat wizz is the most caustic and powerfully persistent liquid ever devised.

Greg R Bradley
08-03-2015, 6:10 PM
Just "house train" the snake or get it a "snake box". The trick will be to find snake litter. I understand you can substitute kitty litter.....,,

Susumu Mori
08-03-2015, 9:07 PM
There was a time when I couldn't work on my woodworking for half a year.
When I came back to my basement to rebuild my shop, I found my cat footprints on my jointer table. You know, that cat footprint thing. They must have some acid on their paws. It was almost like a joke; a jointer table with rust with the shape of cat's footprints....

Andrew Duncan
08-04-2015, 6:48 AM
Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. There is indeed something to be said for doing nothing if it's a once every 15 year event. I think the idea of a plywood child under the rafters is a good one. They're actually collar ties and there is lighting and a vacuum hose that drops down to the tables saw from above, but I think it's doable.

Keith Weber
08-04-2015, 8:25 AM
Coexisting with snakes? No way, no how! I'd be suiting up for a death match with those things if it was my shop. I'd probably be asking how to remove snake guts from my planer knives before I'd be asking how to remove snake doodoo from my table saw.

peter gagliardi
08-04-2015, 9:29 AM
I am in a large Cold War era military building. I am a woodworker, therefor there is never enough money for all the maintenance needed. I have roof leaks, in several places. I had one that only started right after, AND right over I installed a brand new Martin slider!!! Talk about not happy the next morning!
Anyway, I had a piece of 6 mil clear plastic that I roped up above it with a pitch to drain several feet away that is about 10' off the floor.
So, I would suggest stapling a similar piece of appropriate size to the rafter or joist bottoms- problem solved.

Max Neu
08-04-2015, 11:03 AM
There was a time when I couldn't work on my woodworking for half a year.
When I came back to my basement to rebuild my shop, I found my cat footprints on my jointer table. You know, that cat footprint thing. They must have some acid on their paws. It was almost like a joke; a jointer table with rust with the shape of cat's footprints....
I have 2 shop cat's,and I noticed the same thing,rusty cat prints on the cast iron tops.The weird thing is,it only comes from one of the cat's,even though they both walk on them.I started laying some cardboard on the machinery when not in use.

Frank Drew
08-06-2015, 10:55 AM
I am a woodworker, therefore there is never enough money for all the maintenance needed.

Tell me about it (right down to the leaky roof)!