PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Scrap-wood Turning Challenge

Brian Kent
08-01-2015, 11:23 AM
Here's my challenge:

Sometime this weekend go to your scrap pile and pull out a piece of wood that is worthy of tossing away. Stick it on the lathe and see what happens.

I made one of these this morning and didn't know what it is so I made another one. Sopping wet, unfinished and covered with sawdust, obviously.

Spend a happy few minutes and show your masterpiece.

Ready, Go!

Reed Gray
08-01-2015, 3:26 PM
Well, can't show pictures of mine, but saw this and had to try it with some almost dry myrtle from the fire wood pile. Lay out and dimentioning is fairly critical to getting an even rim on the bowl, but a fun project. I am going to do more. Also, I am one who never trusted hot melt glue, and it works, though I turned way slower than I do on standard bowls...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekH57icxrJM

robo hippy

Brian Kent
08-01-2015, 3:44 PM
OK, now that loos like fun.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-03-2015, 2:09 PM
This is my weekend scrap wood project. The wood is unknown.
Paperweight/paper holders. Hopefully, when you put the paper in the slot, it will hold it so you can type-read.
Wood was salvaged from a vintage Japanese Kanna (plane) that I got in an estate sale. The owner beat the heck out of the plane and ground down the blade for some unknown reason(s). No way to salvage the plane. Decided to save the wood. Still unfinished, got a coat of BLO. Hey, just the weekend work. BLO dries slow.

Tom Brouillette
08-03-2015, 4:03 PM
318879318880318881I brought a few logs home from work after a storm had blown over an old oak tree. I split a few, and actually threw this piece in the trash pile. At the same time I wanted to do my first recess grip turning, so I chose this piece to try it out on.

Brian Kent
08-03-2015, 4:18 PM
Amazing looking inside of a tree or an old Kanna to see the beauty within.

Reed Gray
08-03-2015, 5:16 PM
Kyle, I remember that distinctive grain from a martial arts school I went to. Seems like there were some nun chucks that were made out of it, and teacher referred to it as an oak. Not really sure, but the wood was heavy.

robo hippy

Wes Ramsey
08-04-2015, 12:03 PM
This is my weekend scrap wood project. The wood is unknown.
Paperweight/paper holders. Hopefully, when you put the paper in the slot, it will hold it so you can type-read.
Wood was salvaged from a vintage Japanese Kanna (plane) that I got in an estate sale. The owner beat the heck out of the plane and ground down the blade for some unknown reason(s). No way to salvage the plane. Decided to save the wood. Still unfinished, got a coat of BLO. Hey, just the weekend work. BLO dries slow.

Kyle, that sure looks like red oak to me.

Brian, I like this thread and the idea of turning something from scrap. The most amazing maple grain I've seen was from a scrap piece of compression wood next to a big feather crotch. Almost burned it before I gave it a shot! I've got a heap of scraps, and once it cools off a bit I'll join in the fun :)

Kyle Iwamoto
08-05-2015, 12:06 AM
It's definitely not red oak. I've bought a buch of red oak for a project. I think Robo is correct. I've Googled Japanese Oak for no other reason than to see what comes up. Some of the pics come up like what the kannas are made of, but also red oak looking pictures too. No idea..... Thanks for the info though!

Come on guys! Let's see what this weekend produces.