PDA

View Full Version : Scroll Saw stopped sawing, need help

Jim Broestler
07-31-2015, 10:17 PM
I have a Hitachi scroll saw that I bought from Lowes about five years ago. Real nice right up until a week ago when it wouldn't move. The light comes on, but no saw movement. Almost like there's a fuse somewhere that blew. Anyone have any ideas how to solve this mystery? Never had a problem before. Thanks!

Rick Potter
07-31-2015, 11:19 PM
Welcome to Sawmill Creek.

I would first google "Hitachi scroll saw problems" and see if there are any hits. Then unplug it, pop off the cover and see if the motor runs at all. If not, check for a bad connection or fuse. If the motor has brushes, check those. If it runs check if there is a belt that may have gone bad. Then check for any connection between the motor and blade that may be loose, like a set screw.

Lee Schierer
08-01-2015, 7:29 AM
I do not have a Hitachi scroll saw and have not operated one. However, my experience with this type of thing is that there is a lack of lubrication and an accumulation of crud, in this case sawdust. Unplug the saw and carefully open the housing. Rotate the motor shaft by hand and lubricate the motor bushings with some light machine oil. Lubricate all moving parts and clean out all the sawdust. Carefully put everything back together and see what happens.

If there is a separate switch for making the saw run from the light, it could be that the contacts have gone bad in that switch. It should be easy enough to check with a continuity meter, with the plug unplugged.

Larry Frank
08-01-2015, 7:31 AM
I would check the switch and variable speed. If you have a electrical meter, you could find out easily if the switch is working. You might try blowing out the dust from the switch area.

You can get some parts at ereplacementsparts.com

Jim Broestler
08-01-2015, 10:57 AM
Checked it all out, and there is continuity in the switch, speed control, and breaker. There is a very faint hum from the motor when the switch is on. I looked at the brushes and there seems to be plenty left on them. They're supposed to be concave on the ends that touch the motor, right?

Jim Broestler
08-01-2015, 11:00 AM
Thanks! I'll look it up at that site. I'm thinking it may be the brushes.

Lee Schierer
08-01-2015, 4:38 PM
Checked it all out, and there is continuity in the switch, speed control, and breaker. There is a very faint hum from the motor when the switch is on. I looked at the brushes and there seems to be plenty left on them. They're supposed to be concave on the ends that touch the motor, right?
Brushes should be curved where they touch the armature. Have you tried spinning the motor while it is humming? You could have a band start capacitor.

Jim Broestler
08-01-2015, 11:00 PM
yes but it doesn't start up. How would I locate and test the capacitor?

Lee Schierer
08-02-2015, 4:07 PM
You have to spin it fairly fast to get it to start without a capacitor. o find the capacitor, if there is one, follow the wiring from the switch to the motor. There should be a round can like device with two wires coming out of it between the motor and the switch, that is the capacitor.