PDA

View Full Version : Zebrawood

Rich Stewart
08-20-2005, 6:36 AM
I saw where Jon said he didn't really like zebrawood and was wondering why. Is it hard to turn or you just don't like the look of it. Curious because I just bought some but haven't used it yet

John Hart
08-20-2005, 6:48 AM
Hi Rich...Sorry....I didn't mean to make it sound like it was bad to work with or anything. The fact is, my problem has more to do with coincidence than anything else. It seems like every project I've done with zebrawood has turned out to not match adjoining woods or the surroundings, or I ran the grain poorly or whatever. It not as easy to finish as some of the tighter grained woods like maple and cherry but not as difficult as oak. My family really likes it...I think I'm the only one on the planet that doesn't. :)

Blake McCully
08-20-2005, 10:26 AM
I think I'm the only one on the planet that doesn't. :)
I'm not a big fan of zebrawood myself although SWMBO just loves it. I have found that it seems to be very porous. If you don't use CA on it somewhere along the line it is very difficult to finish, even the way I do. I also am not particularly fond of the grain lines. As John says some times it is real hard to get visual continuity. I have found that the larger the pen body, the more suited it is for zebrawood.

Lee DeRaud
08-20-2005, 11:14 AM
I think I'm the only one on the planet that doesn't. :)Count me into that list too. I don't turn, but I've made some small stuff like picture frames with it and found the hardness difference between the dark and light parts a serious pain when milling it...you can get tear-out just looking at it cross-eyed. :eek:

Finishes pretty well with the GF SealACell/ArmRCoat combo though.

RL Johnson
08-20-2005, 12:03 PM
I made a few pens from it. Had to use a 60 grit gouge to get it to shape. Would not sand smooth due to the differences in hardness between the dark and light stripes. Tears out real easy just like Lee said. Other than being a real pain to finish I think it looks very impressive in a pen, I gave all my pens blanks to my brother and quit turning it. My brother almost quit talking to me after that :eek: . Now neither one of use turns it. :D Oh well, to each his own. :p

Anthony Yakonick
08-20-2005, 8:31 PM
It also smells like you stepped in something ;)

Earl Eyre
08-21-2005, 1:38 AM
I have not found it particularly difficult to turn or sand. It does smell like you know what when you turn it, though. And I have decided you can't really mix it very successfully with other woods because the grain is just too different. I've tried several times and haven't liked the results. But by itself I think it's quite striking. And, like several of you have mentioned, my wife also loves it.
Rich, I'll be curious what you think of it when you give it a try.
Earl

Rich Stewart
08-21-2005, 1:57 AM
Glad I didn't buy more of it. Just got a 2x2x12 piece. I'm still in the practice and experiment stage of the hobby so I have to try it. I have been making mostly goblet type spindle turnings. Tried a couple bowls out of some scrap cherry and oak some friends gave me. Bought a couple books by Richard Raffin(?) and I think I am interested in boxes now and might start moving in that direction. That's why I got the chuck. I have screwed up a few fairly decent turnings when I drilled them out. Off center and such. Crooked bases. Gonna play with this cheap machine until I get a little more proficient and then move up. This cheapy actually works pretty good. Thanks for all your help. I'm going to try to stay in touch more.