PDA

View Full Version : 9" x 4" Walnut Bowl Step by Step

Bruce Jones
07-31-2015, 7:01 PM
Hello everybody once again I've had a few people ask me to show how I am able to turn the projects
I've been posting. This is a simple Walnut bowl except that one of the pieces has a large knot almost to the edge
where I'll be cutting.
I had to lay this up just right so when cut / turned all voids were gone; I start w/ 2 - 9" x 9" plus blanks and miter off the extra after drawing an X and the circle. (I"ll show how I do this)
I'll try to explain w/ each posting of photos; if I had a video camera I would post a video my camera shoots very short videos only.
I hope this helps you guys & gals that are new to turning I'm have a blast doing these projects and have a great number of ideas yet to try, so I hope you stick around and ask questions.

Bruce

The first set will show prepping the blank to mount on the lathe after coming out of the glue press after 24 hrs.

Bruce Jones
07-31-2015, 7:52 PM
These next shots show the bottom of the bowl being shaped and the internal tendon being formed I use A very sharp
round point scraper to shape the out sides of a bowl; I measure the size of the tendon and mark the bottom of the bowl.
I use the cut off tool / chisel to make the start of the cut finish w/ flat scrapers.

Bruce

Bruce Jones
07-31-2015, 8:20 PM
After rough sanding to 120 grit on the sides (I took the bottom to 220 grit) I removed from the chuck & the worm screw
and flipped it around remounted it w/ the tail stock live center pressing it in to the chuck; faced it flat at the edge about 1 inch
w/ round nose scraper, then broke out the bowl gouge and started roughing her out.
You'll see the line marked for my thickness this one is 3/8" I wanted it thinner but there's a crack in this bowl where the knot was. (didn't press it)
The knot was a bit of a pain to cut but was not as hard as I thought it would be.

Bruce

Bruce Jones
07-31-2015, 8:39 PM
Before I go any further I want to say this is How I do my bowls it's not the only way and may not be the correct way.
I run my speed on 2 HF Central Machine lathe; this piece of walnut cut very nice almost soft compared to the Teak & Sapele I've been cutting.

This is the part where I final scrape and Sand I use pieces of leather and wrap my sanding paper around them one is 1/8" thick the other is 1/16" this keeps you from burning your fingers & gives a flat flexible surface against the wood.
I finish my bowls w/ 100% Tung oil & other things like Shellac, Varnish etc.

Bruce

Bruce Jones
07-31-2015, 8:48 PM
And for the finish; I hope this helps someone out there; I know this is what I was looking for in May when
I threw my first pieces up on the lathe.

Bruce

Bruce Jones
08-01-2015, 10:31 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=2450306#post2450306)
I wish you could explain how you got to this level so quick. I haven't even gotten to the point of worrying too much about the design and flow of the work piece. I've had to practice technique for quite a bit of time on scrap pieces and still need more. Even sharpening tools the correct way, putting the rest at the correct height, way to approach the tool to the piece, which tool to use, speed etc. seems to be a never ending process for me. I know from my work I'm getting better but wow I jealous you got from A to Z in such a short time.

Mike

Mike I posted this thread to show you and a few others how I do things to see if this helps you to pick up turning a bit faster.
I don't try and do everything the HOLLOW FORM PROS do I just do what feels right for me; not to say they don't know what there doing because they do there way more advanced than I am. But there's more than one way to get good results.
I hope to hear from you and hopefully see some of your work.
Good luck,

Bruce