PDA

View Full Version : Camphor Tree Roots

Brian Kent
07-31-2015, 2:48 PM
We are cutting down a Camphor Tree at work because of roots invading a sewage pipe. The company doing the work does not think it is necessary to grind the stump. (But they are grinding the stump of a pine tree that is lifting a sidewalk.)

Does anyone know whether Camphor roots keep causing problems after the tree is cut down?

Erik Loza
07-31-2015, 2:55 PM
No expert but I was always told "Make sure to grind the stump" on pretty much any tree. Curious to hear...

Erik

Andrew Hughes
07-31-2015, 3:21 PM
Don't know if you should grind the stump,but if like turning bowls camphor turns nice and easy.And if your nose is stuffy while your turning it will help with that too.👍

Brian Kent
07-31-2015, 3:42 PM
I haven't found anything definitive. One source said you have to dig up the roots - not just cut off the tree or grind up the stump.

charlie knighton
07-31-2015, 4:27 PM
I always thought that camphor was a florida tree......do yall have much of it out there????????

Mike Henderson
07-31-2015, 4:43 PM
Once you cut the tree down the roots will not continue to grow, whether you grind the stump or not. The only issue is whether the tree starts to sprout out from the trunk and roots. And even then, if you cut the sprouts down or spray them with something like Roundup to kill them, I would think the roots would not continue to grow. The tree needs leaves to capture sunlight to grow.

Mike

ryan paulsen
07-31-2015, 6:18 PM
Grinding the stump is mainly as aesthetic procedure. It won't really affect the ability of the tree or roots to continue growing.

daryl moses
07-31-2015, 9:34 PM
Once you cut the tree down the roots will not continue to grow, whether you grind the stump or not. The only issue is whether the tree starts to sprout out from the trunk and roots. And even then, if you cut the sprouts down or spray them with something like Roundup to kill them, I would think the roots would not continue to grow. The tree needs leaves to capture sunlight to grow.

Mike
Pretty much sums it up mike. I'm a "tree farmer" but not familiar with Camphor. The way I keep stumps from re-sprouting is to spray a concentrated solution of Glyphosate [Roundup] on the stump ASAP after the tree is cut. It's worked with everything I've sprayed it on.