PDA

View Full Version : Shaper Cutter Problem

Bill Adamsen
07-31-2015, 8:08 AM
Setting up this morning to relieve the backs on some drawer bottoms and noticed that the carbide on this Amana cutter extends below my spindle spacer - meaning I can't compress the cutter as intended. I don't seem to have any more small spacers so it means ...

ordering and waiting for delivery (not really an option)
driving an hour-an-a-half or two hours round trip to get some (uhg)
tighten down on the carbide and run with it (what I must have done previously)
or grind off the small amount of carbide.

Thoughts?

lowell holmes
07-31-2015, 9:01 AM
I would carefully explore some large washers to see if I could get around it.

peter gagliardi
07-31-2015, 10:14 AM
If you are in southwestern CT, you must have many options of places to get spacers nearby. Connecticut saw and tool in Stratford, tools plus in Waterbury , and there must be a half dozen other places nearby as well? I would not clamp to the carbide, or grind it!! Each of those is a disaster waiting to happen.

Larry Edgerton
07-31-2015, 10:18 AM
That is not an uncommon problem when using a small cutter on a large shaper. I had a pair of 1/4" thick spacers made for mine that are of a smaller outside diameter. Problem solved forever.....

Larry

Bill Adamsen
07-31-2015, 10:29 AM
Connecticut saw and tool in Stratford

I spoke to Paul at CS this morning and he has spacer sets in stock ($80). Might actually be more cost effective to buy another cutter which includes spacers or shims. Of course, they're 40 minutes away so that's close to two hours blown.

Peter Quinn
07-31-2015, 10:41 AM
I face a similar condition all the time both at work and in the home shop, I got a set of spacers with the smaller American ID just for this. Got a shim kit? First time I hit this I was able to stack my entire shim kit and just make it over the carbide. I would not modify the carbide or clamp on it either, could damage your spindle if it breaks loose and spins free.

It's a beautiful day for a drive here today! You are welcomed to borrow spacers if that's closer than Connecticut saw and tool.