PDA

View Full Version : So, What is Your...

Mark Blatter
07-31-2015, 12:13 AM
...Favorite comic series of all time?

Over the years I have enjoy a number of them, even reading Prince Valiant when I was a kid back in the dark ages. My second favorite is probably Far Side by Gary Larson. The one I never forget has two polar bears surrounding an igloo with a hole in the top. One says to the other, 'I just love these things. Crunchy on the outside with chewy middle.' I would have posted it, but Larson is extremely picky about digital rights and it would be a violation to post it.

My favorite though has long been Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson. It was simply so funny and off the wall. I could really identify with Calvin's Dad. I have the complete set of the ten years he did the strip. Unlike many that should have stopped years before they did, Bill should have kept writing for another ten years.

What is/are you favorite strips?

Art Mann
07-31-2015, 12:23 AM
Pogo! Walt Kelley was an absolute genius at political satire. He would have a hay day with today's political clowns of all persuasions. I bet not many people remember it.

Peter Kelly
07-31-2015, 12:27 AM
Bloom County

Alan Caro
07-31-2015, 1:35 AM
Mark Blatter,

As a kid- to age 12 or so, I liked a variety from the Sunday paper including Blondie, Beetle Bailey, L'il Abner, Andy Capp, and as Art Mann mentioned -Pogo: "We have met the enemy and he is us". I was more interested in Saturday cartoons- especially Bugs Bunny- Roadrunner and Tom and Jerry. I still think those are amazingly funny.

When older, I liked Doonesbury and the two you mentioned, Far Side and Calvin and Hobbes. Far Side beside being fantastically funny had a great kind of cleverness that was scientific / literary- it was cultural anthropology. Garfield had his moments- really capturing the essence of smug catness.

But I would have to say my favorites overall were in the The New Yorker over the years:

https://www.google.com/search?q=new+yorker+cartoons&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CEQQsARqFQoTCKGu2aTLhMcCFUJYPgodylMKvg&biw=2048&bih=1015

A special favorite was Saul Steinberg who, besides the great compressive surrealism also tossed off one of the great summations about life , "The purpose of life is to avoid boredom." Sadly, The New Yorker has declined dramatically in the funniosity and the overall quality has grown thin since the William Shawn era, both the cartoons and the clunky, adolescent political humor of Andy Borowitz is more more bore than wits.

Alan Caro

My personal motto: "The cheapest things in life are free."

James Baker SD
07-31-2015, 1:38 AM
Charles Schultz and Peanuts. Guess I identified with Charlie Brown.

John A langley
07-31-2015, 7:42 AM
Marmaduke and the New Yorker

Jerry Thompson
07-31-2015, 7:46 AM
Herman and Dilbert

Pat Barry
07-31-2015, 7:52 AM
I like the Far Side, in particular this is my all time favorite cartoon:

Phil Thien
07-31-2015, 9:29 AM
I'm a fan of Bizarro. Lots of great ones but here is one appropriate given another recent thread.

Mike Henderson
07-31-2015, 9:35 AM
Doonesbury. Also like Red and Rover and Calvin and Hobbs.

Oh, yes, and Dilbert, since I'm a nerd.

Mike

Michael Weber
07-31-2015, 10:24 AM
I still miss Calvin and Hobbs.

Mike Ontko
07-31-2015, 11:39 AM
Calvin and Hobbes is definitely at the top of my list. In addition to some of the published books, I also have a 3-year collection of strips I'd cut out from the Sunday edition of the Seattle Times--quite a few of which aren't included in the books.

Other favorites include:

Peanuts
Arlo and Janis
The Far Side
Non Sequitur
Dilbert
FoxTrot
Adam/Adam@Home

Paul Saffold
07-31-2015, 11:39 PM
My favorite comics:
Bizzaro
Non sequitur
rhymes with orange
loose parts
Fox news
dilbert

Jim Koepke
08-01-2015, 1:30 AM
The one I never forget has two polar bears surrounding an igloo with a hole in the top. One says to the other, 'I just love these things. Crunchy on the outside with chewy middle.' I would have posted it, but Larson is extremely picky about digital rights and it would be a violation to post it.

This was hanging on the wall of my work space over 30 years ago. A coworker came by and said she really liked it. She is now my wife. While in Chicago for work I saw the mug for sale in a store. This was from the box and has been on one of our refrigerators ever since.

jtk

Robert Payne
08-01-2015, 8:05 AM
This has always been my favorite Far Side cartoon:

http://restlessmind.net/dl/im/images/scrapbook/scrap20000409a.jpg

Phil Thien
08-01-2015, 8:58 AM
This has always been my favorite Far Side cartoon:

http://restlessmind.net/dl/im/images/scrapbook/scrap20000409a.jpg

I've never understood that one. It seems like he is already damned, standing there with a pitchfork to his back.

But if you pick the door on the left, you're certainly damned.

Failure to pick the door on the right also means you're damned.

So the logical choice is to proceed through the door on the right.

Shawn Pixley
08-01-2015, 11:20 AM
In no particular order:

The Far Side
The Neighborhood
L'il Abner (yes, before my time, but could be exceedingly funny)
Pogo (commentary pre-Doonesbury)

Gordon Eyre
08-01-2015, 12:33 PM
Pickles (it has do do with my age). When I was young I liked Prince Valiant and Lil Abner.

Pat Barry
08-02-2015, 7:01 PM
I've never understood that one. It seems like he is already damned, standing there with a pitchfork to his back.

But if you pick the door on the left, you're certainly damned.

Failure to pick the door on the right also means you're damned.

So the logical choice is to proceed through the door on the right.

Don't overthink it Phil. Both doors lead to the same place.

Phil Thien
08-02-2015, 9:21 PM
Don't overthink it Phil. Both doors lead to the same place.

It is the logician in me, I guess.

Bill McNiel
08-02-2015, 10:38 PM
doonesbury!!!!

Mark Blatter
08-02-2015, 11:30 PM
doonesbury!!!!

At times I really enjoyed Doonesbury, but then at times it just too political for me.

Many of the strips were funny though.

Dennis Aspö
08-03-2015, 7:01 AM
I've read a lot of old american comic strips like Out Our Way and Everett True and they're both interesting from a historical perspective as well as funny. Tinas groove is a modern comic I like, as well as F-minus. Don't really care for the major comics.

A good finnish comic is fingerpori.