PDA

View Full Version : anyone with a shingle mill?

Tom M King
07-30-2015, 8:28 PM
want an order for 10,000 shingles? If this is not okay to post, sorry, but I'm having a hard time finding such a person. I've found a source for the wood.

Larry Edgerton
07-31-2015, 10:21 AM
I have been thinking about it. But not just yet......

Bradley Gray
07-31-2015, 6:50 PM
here you go , Larry http://sawmillexchange.com/view_products/149/

Tom M King
07-31-2015, 7:04 PM
Thanks. I wasn't looking for a mill, but someone who wants a job making shingles. For quoted prices so far, I can hire people to make them by hand cheaper.

Larry Edgerton
08-01-2015, 7:15 AM
http://dowseasternwhiteshingles.com/shingles.asp

I have ordered from this company and was very happy with the product, and it was cheaper than like quality at the local building supply houses.

Larry Edgerton
08-01-2015, 7:22 AM
here you go , Larry http://sawmillexchange.com/view_products/149/

I have looked at those but am thinking a bit more automated. I own a big cedar swamp full of nice white cedar and am tossing the idea around as a way to spend more time at home. I want to go up to Canada when I get time and see a modern Desjardens run and do some number crunching. Have two ex-wives so I am never going to retire, may be an easier way to keep plugging along.

Larry

Tom M King
08-01-2015, 9:17 AM
This was Cypress shingle territory in the 18th and 19th Century, and that's what we will be putting back on the current house I'm working on. Original shingles still on the house under Terne tin that was applied in 1986. They're the original shingles that served the house for 131 years on a 5/12 pitch in what I consider to be poorly applied. No water damage anywhere under them. No reason to want to use anything else.

Out of the port of Edenton, NC between 1771 and 1776, as far as cargo records show, Cypress shingles was second on the list of cargo bulk shipped with 16 million shingles loaded during that period. It's a shame people forgot about them.

Mel Fulks
08-01-2015, 10:35 AM
Tom,they will last a long time but not like old heart cypress. Do you plan to treat them with preservative? I haven't seen any other wood that shows so much difference between new and old heart. Hard to grasp that they are same species.

Tom M King
08-01-2015, 1:47 PM
We'll be using old growth Heart. I already have the wood lined up-just looking for someone to saw them.

Tom M King
08-03-2015, 8:20 PM
Looks like we're going into the shingle making business. I'm getting the logs milled into something we can cut up, and run through a bandsaw. Originals were sawn on this 1850 house, so we'll still be authentic.

For anyone interested, these original shingles are only the second instance where I have seen that wood being quartersawn is a detriment. The only shingles on the original roof that are split were quartersawn. It looks to me like the soft grain eroded out over time enough for water to freeze in there and split the shingle. I'm not sure about that, but it's the only thing I can come up with. There aren't many quartersawn ones. We'll be using only flatsawn shingles for the new roof.

The other instance of quartersawn problems I've seen were in 240 year old sash, where draw pegging caused the part of tenons outward from the pegs to split out, causing the joint to fail. In this case, there were more than a few of these.