PDA

View Full Version : Burr Grinder Died

Shawn Pixley
07-30-2015, 5:21 PM
So our burr grinder died last night. After grinding beans the night before, after about 45 minutes, it turned itself on again -yikes! I unplugged it for the night and yesterday it would not run properly. I'll try to fix it but I am not hopeful. I think the circuit board died.

So in the event I can't fix it, I am seeking information on a replacement. Preface, LOML & I are probably coffee snobs by many's standards. It will be used for 7 drip (cone, not flat bottomed) grinds per week and probably 5 espresso grinds. So the grinder needs to work at the extremes with appropriate adjustability.

So any recommendations?

Peter Kelly
07-30-2015, 10:58 PM
Rancillio Rocky if espresso is more you're thing. If drip coffee, I like the Mocccamaster grinder.

Gail Ludwig
07-30-2015, 11:06 PM
We have a KitchenAid Pro Line burr grinder -- have had it for years and it truly is a tank --just keeps cranking out good ground coffee. I checked on Amazon to see if they were still available and almost fell over when I saw how much they now cost. I think we paid about $125 and it is listed at more than double that now. Like you, we are coffee snobs -- we buy green coffee and roast our own.

Mike Cutler
07-31-2015, 7:07 AM
We also have the KitchenAid Proline Burr Grinder, and it is a little beast. Ours is over 10 years old, and still running strong.

I'm having a nice Sumatra Italian right now. ;)

Larry Frank
07-31-2015, 9:04 AM
I have a Capresso burr grinder which has worked very well for a number of years.

Malcolm Schweizer
07-31-2015, 9:16 AM
Mine is by Hario and there are no circuit boards to malfunction.

Shawn Pixley
07-31-2015, 11:05 AM
Mine is by Hario and there are no circuit boards to malfunction.

I might do that one (or similar model) but SWMBO rejected it.

Shawn Pixley
07-31-2015, 11:07 AM
I have a Capresso burr grinder which has worked very well for a number of years.

Our pour-over machine is a Capresso and we love it (very accurate and correct water temperature). The Capresso grinder is 1/2" too tall to fit under upper cabinets. Bummer!

Robert LaPlaca
07-31-2015, 12:34 PM
We have been pretty happy with the Breville Smart Pro burr grinder, we use it for our cone filter Technovorm..

David Helm
07-31-2015, 1:37 PM
I've had the Capresso for a long time too. Take this as an excuse to raise the upper cabinets; or to replace them altogether. Coffee is way more important than low uppers.

Ken Platt
07-31-2015, 11:52 PM
+1 on the capresso. My model is called "Infinity" and it looks like it is still sold. I've managed to drop it any number of times, still works fine. Easy to clean of leftover grounds. And, when I needed replacement parts (broke the plastic cup that catches the grind) the parts were available and very reasonably priced, pretty much just the few bucks you'd expect plastic parts to cost.

I've been considering getting another one for a backup in case they don't make this model anymore when mine inevitably (hey,I'm clumsy before I've had my coffee!) suffers a traumatic end.

Ken

Malcolm Schweizer
08-01-2015, 8:10 AM
I was in the states and saw an espresso machine for $3000. I sent a pic to my friend who in turn sent me a link to one that goes for $8500. This was a home machine, not some big industrial one. I was pretty amazed. I thought I was a coffee snob with my burr grinder and French press. Even 1/3 if the $3k machine would be hard to justify.

I just returned from the DR and brought back some coffee that you can only get locally. It is like chocolate in the mouth. I make excuses to go there for it.