PDA

View Full Version : pc or bostich?

Jim Hill
06-06-2003, 2:37 PM
I am a hobbiest, but I am looking to buy a 16 guage nailer to do trim work around the house. I've pretty much decided on a bostich ($105) or a pc (169) Are these both good, dependable products? Is the pc worth $64 more? I could have pc repaired locally if need be, but not the bostich. Should I have other concerns such as nail package sizes....or anything else? Thanks for your insight.
Jim

Jim Becker
06-06-2003, 4:37 PM
My personal preference for pneumatic nailers is Senco or PC, but the Bostich often gets good comments. Be sure that the specific model you are looking at will take the "standard" fasteners as there are a few Bostich guns that do not. You want the flexibility to buy brads "wherever"...

Scott Coffelt
06-06-2003, 5:23 PM
I have several nail guns Stanley Bostich framing nailer, Three PC staplers (various types), Craftsman finish and brad nailers, and a cheap C&H brand stapler.

All work very well, for the ones I have purchased (exception framing nailer) the nails seem to be pretty much the same across the board for the models I have to other brands. My finish nailer uses the same nails as the Pasload, PC, etc. so I can always fine them. I find them form time to time on clearance or special and usually load up on the boxes. The same thing holds true for the brad nailer and staplers. The only one I have trouble finding staples for is my PC Upolstry Stapler. I have to buy mail order. Now I found out with my framing nailer that nails are a real issue to find in various sizes. I can find some Hitachi nails that work, but the borgs only sale a couple of sizes. I can't complain though as I bought it new for $120.

Overall, I like the PC guns better than the others, though I have had no problems with any of them. I like Senco, but the price is usually more than the others. So I would probably recommend that you go with the PC.

Jim Becker
06-06-2003, 5:29 PM
Originally posted by Scott Coffelt
I like Senco, but the price is usually more than the others. So I would probably recommend that you go with the PC.

Costal Tool (http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/cata/pneu_trim.htm?L+coastest+jknw1052ff33f633+10550295 65) sells the Senco 16 guage for $149 and the PC for $159...almost a toss-up. But the PC also goes to 3/4" if this gun is going to be a "universal" tool with no 18 guage unit in the original poster's shop.